iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Show Me Your Sawmill "Sheds"

Started by pwrwagontom, November 05, 2016, 04:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwrwagontom

Hello Everyone!

I got a brand new Woodmizer LT10 sawmill about two months ago.  Everyone on here predicted that this would happen after enough sawing with my Granberg MKIII.  You were all right! 8)

Anyhow, I've just lost my summer help for the winter, and I'm trying to get plans together to build a new smallish building to house the sawmill next summer.

I am imagining a simple wall-less structure, with just a roof, but as I'm brainstorming ideas, I'd really like to see some pictures of the designs which you guys have come up with!

Thanks!
Never give an inch

Kbeitz

Quote from: pwrwagontom on November 05, 2016, 04:28:38 PM
Hello Everyone!

I got a brand new Woodmizer LT10 sawmill about two months ago.  Everyone on here predicted that this would happen after enough sawing with my Granberg MKIII.  You were all right! 8)

Anyhow, I've just lost my summer help for the winter, and I'm trying to get plans together to build a new smallish building to house the sawmill next summer.

I am imagining a simple wall-less structure, with just a roof, but as I'm brainstorming ideas, I'd really like to see some pictures of the designs which you guys have come up with!

Thanks!

Wall-less... I'm in... Just started it.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

kelLOGg

Here's mine. It is about 32 x 16.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

ozarkgem

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 05, 2016, 05:07:31 PM
Hello Everyone!

Thanks!

Thats one way to use pallet racking.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Kbeitz

Quote from: ozarkgem on November 05, 2016, 07:10:20 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on November 05, 2016, 05:07:31 PM
Hello Everyone!

Thanks!

Thats one way to use pallet racking.

Sure was tough drilling. Had to re sharpen the bits after every hole.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ncsawyer

Mine is 20X48.  24 foot opening at mill.  Homemade 20 foot trusses.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

paul case

My saw shed is a repurposed chicken house. 40'x400'. The drawback is a 11' door. Well it may be alittle wider now?

Lots of room out front to pile logs.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

newoodguy78

Quote from: ncsawyer on November 05, 2016, 07:37:59 PM

That's a nice looking mill shed you have there. Just curious did you do anything special to beef up that 24' opening? Being from the northeast snow load is an issue, not having to deal with that would be a wonderful thing.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scleigh

16 x 100 with a 20' opening on both sides at the mill.

ncsawyer

Quote from: newoodguy78 on November 06, 2016, 07:51:00 AM
Quote from: ncsawyer on November 05, 2016, 07:37:59 PM

That's a nice looking mill shed you have there. Just curious did you do anything special to beef up that 24' opening? Being from the northeast snow load is an issue, not having to deal with that would be a wonderful thing.

I have a 8x8 inch piece of angle iron that is 1/2 inch thick.

2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

stanwelch

Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

flyboy16101

A work in progress 32' x 12' with 9' ceiling. The main opening is 18' x 6' and the end openings are 8' x 8'. Eventually I would like to have it so I can close it all up when I'm not around
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

tacks Y

Flyboy, Are you sawing a lot of ash? I was looking at mine this weekend and thinking of cutting it all to sell. Is it still good where you are? I hear in 5 years it will all gone here. Tom

coppolajc10

24x44 pole barn with 20' openings on each side with sliding doors, 2 12' overlapping doors on roadside.  steel beams for openings.  lot of snow up here, walls are good for keeping snow out.

You don't want to be doing this:

intead of this:

snow stays outside:

flyboy16101

Quote from: tacks Y on November 06, 2016, 05:55:05 PM
Flyboy, Are you sawing a lot of ash? I was looking at mine this weekend and thinking of cutting it all to sell. Is it still good where you are? I hear in 5 years it will all gone here. Tom

It is hit or miss around here. I have cut down some that had been dead standing for a couple years and they made good lumber then last year I had 6 or 7 at my step brothers place that had only been dead a little less then a year and the butt logs all split and cracked when they hit the ground. I have enough ash on my place to fill a couple log trucks but work is keeping me so busy I have hardly had time to cut lumber for my mill shed. I used mostly oak and poplar being that was what people around me were getting rid of and I didn't know when I would have time to saw it for other things. Where at in NW Pa are you located?
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

Sixacresand

Quote from: stanwelch on November 06, 2016, 03:44:32 PM
24 x 32 for my LT15

Stan, where is your pile of slabs and mountain of sawdust?   :D  Nice building, BTW.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

tacks Y

Jemclimber

Quote from: Sixacresand on November 07, 2016, 08:35:10 PM
Quote from: stanwelch on November 06, 2016, 03:44:32 PM
24 x 32 for my LT15

Stan, where is your pile of slabs and mountain of sawdust?   :D  Nice building, BTW.

I know where that nice custom made 10' extension is.   ;D
lt15

woodweasel

stanwelch

John,  slabs get dumped in front of my neighbors OWB and sawdust pile is in the tree line  :D.  Thanks for checking on me ;D
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Darrel

woodweasel, that looks all shiny and new!  It will look even better after there is some sawdust on the floor!  8)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

fishfighter

Y'all guys are pushing me to start building a shed for my mill. Just got way to much going on right now. :(

Kind of looking at something that is 16x 24' with no walls. I have to have it no less the 13' ceilings due to me using my backhoe to load my mill and flip big logs too! Also thinking of installing a rail system over head to install a electric wench to flip logs and load.

flyboy16101

fishfighter I was in the same boat as you, but it will amaze you how much time it frees up not having to wait on the weather and or daylight to saw.

fishfighter

I only saw for myself. I saw up lumber as I need, but I really need to get my mill out the weather. I also need a place I could get my backhoe out the weather too! So, size wise, I might add another 8'-10'.

Thank You Sponsors!