iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

California Black Oak price

Started by JAG, November 05, 2016, 04:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAG

Does anyone know what a good price would be for Califorina Black Oak? Its in the red oak classification i belive. the buyer wanted to know the price per bf and if we could get it either into beams for him or 1"x2"-1"6" sizes. Anyone know what i should be asking per board foot? I never really work with out and have no real idea what i should ask per bf wholesale. thanks for the read.
Lucas 6-18, MS046, MS660, MS390,

paul case

I am not in CA.

I do sell some Red Oak. FAS 4/4 red oak green is $1.13 where I sell to a flooring plant.

Your area may be different.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

SLawyer Dave

Almost all of my experience with California Black Oak is in firewood.  So I can't really help you on an appropriate price for lumber.  I was confused though, are you asking the price to cut this person's black oak for him, (just being the sawyer), or are you cutting your own black oak and then selling him the lumber? 

Either way, be extremely cautious as California Black Oak is much more likely to have twists, voids, and other internal problems that will greatly limit your lumber production than traditional 'red oak'.  There are some great black oak trees out there, and I have seen them cut up into some beautiful lumber, but I have also seen a lot of waste.  So figure that your production is going to be very low. 

Good luck to you. 

JAG

Paul Case; Thanks for the price for green wood so when you say 4/4 do you mean that is 1.13 per BF? SLawyer Dave; I have also only really done the heating option with it. This mill/shop asked the property owner that I'm working with if he could buy black oak from his land, so the property owner is selling it to him per requested. The shop just wanted it all quarter sawn but wanted a few plain sawn for some reason. I know that I have some research to do to get the cuts right but since he is doing all the drying and further work to the wood , I mostly just need to get good straight logs.   

paul case

It sounds like we are talking about a different type of tree. Our black oak is sold as red oak and there is very little difference in the wood. what you have sounds like our Blackjack oak. Heavy black streaks in the grain hollow spots and doedy voids. Prone to shake.

Our red oak sold as 4/4 is cut on !.25'' thick but is figured as 1'' thick. So a 12''x12'' x1.125 is 1 bdft.

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

GAB

[Our red oak sold as 4/4 is cut on !.25'' thick but is figured as 1'' thick. So a 12''x12'' x1.125 is 1 bdft.

PC
[/quote]

Mr. Case:
I'm confused.
Is it 1.25" or 1.125" thick?
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

SLawyer Dave

Here in Northern California, I have always heard it called "Mountain Black Oak".  It generally only grows on the hills, and mountains in a mixed forest of primarily conifers.  It is my Favorite fire wood, (and cooking wood) of all time.  Nothing better than a rare tri-tip roast cooked over black mountain oak. 

I suspect it is due to our extremes of heat and drought, but this tree tends to soak up and hold a lot of water to survive the summer.  It is very common to shed huge limbs during the spring, as it leafs out and pulls that water up into its foliage.  It is also very common, when felling or cutting one down, to find that even a good looking trunk, can be mostly hollow and filled with standing water.  Due to most of these trees growing in rather shaded areas below conifer cover, they tend to twist, lean, and grow into sunlight where ever they can reach it.  So the vast majority of these trees are not well suited for lumber needs.

However, I have seen some beautiful ones, and when the tree is able to grow in good sun, the grain, density, and color can be fantastic.  I can't tell you scientific species, or compare it to oak that exists elsewhere, but I have been climbing, cutting, hauling, splitting and burning it since I was a young child.  I have also used chain saw and table saw to make some small dimensional lumber for projects.  Again, the wood can be simply beautiful, just hard to find a lot of good lumber logs.

paul case

Sorry I didn't mean to confuse.

It is cut on 1.25 . Blade kerf is a little fatter than 1/16 so the board is a proud 1 1/8''.

When cutting it the set cuts are 1.25, 2.5, 3.75, 5, ect.
PC
pc

LittleJohn

Quote from: paul case on November 07, 2016, 12:57:37 PM
Sorry I didn't mean to confuse.

It is cut on 1.25 . Blade kerf is a little fatter than 1/16 so the board is a proud 1 1/8''.

When cutting it the set cuts are 1.25, 2.5, 3.75, 5, ect.
PC
So you cut 5/4, but charge at 4/4  ;)

paul case

That is just the way it is. If you want to sell to most big buyers it has to be cut a little plump. PC
pc

JAG

So oour Black Oak here ia California Black Oak Quercus kelloggii is classedand a red oak. http://www.wood-database.com/california-black-oak/ . this site gives a good summary on it. I think im getting the 4/4 or 5/4 thing a little bit better. thanks for the help. I think ill be passing on that 1.13 price (telling him that is backeast and green) and cut size stuff is huge for me. thanks again.

Thank You Sponsors!