iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SYP question

Started by Doug Wis, November 03, 2016, 10:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Wis

I'm in the north  so know little about SYP. Rebuilt a couple of forage boxes and ordered treated SYP. Good hard wood , worked out well. In a recent issue of Progressive  Farmer magazine there was an article about forestry management in the south. Author stated that SYP wasn't a species, but a group of  several different species. And he named about 4 different ones ; loblolly ,longleaf  slash pines  and shortleaf. Just looking  for a bit of info from someone familiar with them. Are they different species that are closely related so the wood is nearly the same? Are they mixed in timber stands or are they sort of specific to different areas? Have only be in  the south once and driving through the panhandle of Florida, the  courtryside  looked nearly like a lot of sandy DNR land here in NW wis, only the pines were abit different. Here it's scrub oak and jackpine. Thanks
A man who says he can do everything at 65 that he did at 25 sure wasn't doing much at 25.

xlogger

The more north you go the more shortleaf or spruce pine you will see. I live in the northern part of NC so I'm about in the area where it starts going loblolly here and getting more to the south. Further south you see more longleaf pines. Longleaf and loblolly get more ice damage in the cooler states. The spruce you will see has more knots and I don't really l like to saw them.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Magicman

The lumber and even the logs are sometimes indistinguishable without seeing the needles.  There is a slight difference between the strength, but even that is usually wiped out when comparing slow growing trees/logs with those that experienced faster growth.  Longleaf is usually more rich with sap/resin and displays a more colorful lumber.

Longleaf Pine showing the colorful resin. 

A quartersawn board from a slow grown tree showing the very close growth rings.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

The very non scientific way I approach the discussion on pine can be very similar to the discussion dealing with "oak"
There are differences and preferences for specific uses, as well as yes certain sub species prefer certain soil types and conditions, moisture, and climate over others.  Clear syp makes great 2x stock for building structers, where the more knotty seems better suited for siding, interior as well as exterior, this is my very non scientific opinion of course. Bottom line for the most part syp is generally very enjoyable to saw and build with.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Doug Wis

Thanks for the info. Occasionally we will get a white pine that displays a similar distinctive reddish grain like the ones you picture, but in my limited experience generally the lumber from those logs doesn't want to lay flat. thanks again for the info and pictures.
A man who says he can do everything at 65 that he did at 25 sure wasn't doing much at 25.

Thank You Sponsors!