iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Latest Guitar Build

Started by Glenn Ohman, November 03, 2016, 05:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Ohman

Thought you guys might like this parlor guitar I just finished up. I have about 165 hours into it.

Glenn

Roxie

Beautiful!  Sure wish I could hear it.   :)
Say when

muggs

Very nice. What are the woods used?    Muggs

5quarter

Sweet! I like the headstock. Did you make the neck and headstock and glue up a pre-cut fret board or is it all from scratch?
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

barbender

Beautiful! I love parlor guitars!
Too many irons in the fire

Glenn Ohman

Quote from: muggs on November 03, 2016, 05:57:55 PM
What are the woods used?    Muggs

Sugar Maple -- back, sides and neck
Sitka Spruce -- top and bracing
Bubinga -- red accoutrements
Maccassar Ebony -- fingerboard, black accoutrements
Mahogany (the real stuff from Central America) -- lining, neck and tail block.

Quote from: 5quarter on November 03, 2016, 06:32:22 PM
Did you make the neck and headstock and glue up a pre-cut fret board

Yup, that's how I was taught. I buy fingerboard blanks for 5 string basses so I'll have enough material leftover to resaw into veneer for the headstock and rosette. 

I really want to try using quatersawn sugar maple instead of flatsawn for the body, but I have had a hard time finding any.

Glenn

Hilltop366

Nice!

Is that a bolt on neck?

Thanks for posting.

Glenn Ohman

Indeed it is a Fender style bolt on neck. I machined the ferrules myself out of 12L14.

It's a perfectly good way to attach the neck to the body, but not traditional for sure. A lot of ways to skin a cat.

Glenn

Czech_Made

cbla

Den Socling

I took a picture of a Taylor acoustic while we were at Pacific Rim. I couldn't believe the work inside!

Carson-saws

VERY nice...outstanding even....
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Glenn Ohman

Gluing on/shaping the bracing, lining and the like is my favorite part.

A picture of gluing on the top:

Glenn

tule peak timber

I like your clamping solutions.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Hilltop366

Quote from: Glenn Ohman on November 04, 2016, 09:44:44 AM
Indeed it is a Fender style bolt on neck. I machined the ferrules myself out of 12L14.

It's a perfectly good way to attach the neck to the body, but not traditional for sure. A lot of ways to skin a cat.

Glenn

Thanks, not common for sure.

I did try a Tacoma with a bolt on neck a few week ago, played nice and sounded great. I think it called a "wing series"  with the paisley sound hole.

Woodey

WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

thecfarm

You must have an talent to build instruments like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

I have sold persimmon for finger boards.  Ever tried any persimmon?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Den Socling

Wow! I just noticed that you are 22 YO. You work like a old champ!

barbender

I've always liked  playing nylon string classical guitars, and I've played a few of the steel strung parlor guitars. I really like the sound of them, I suppose in some ways they are similar to "gut strings". Dreadnoughts seem to be designed to be big and loud when strummed, whereas the parlor guitars came from an era when the guitar played more instrumental pieces or voice accompaniment. They aren't as loud and boomy, but they have much more tonal color on the sifter side of the spectrum. I'm sorry, I'm not very good at desribing the subtleties of tone with words, but this much I know- I'm always drawn towards the little parlor guitars when I'm in a music store. As one music store employee said when he saw me playing one- "little guitars are cool."  ;) Yup.
Too many irons in the fire

Glenn Ohman

Quote from: Den Socling on November 08, 2016, 09:58:43 AM
You work like a old champ!

Thanks! The learning curve was more like climbing a cliff than anything else.

Quote from: barbender on November 08, 2016, 12:44:38 PM
Dreadnoughts seem to be designed to be big and loud when strummed.

Back in the day (1930's) a big part of the allure was having a bigger bass response with a dreadnought.

Now everyone and there brother owns a dreadnought style guitar.

Which is why I like making parlor guitars and short scale electric basses, something different. 

Glenn

Thank You Sponsors!