iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Putting a Splitter to Sleep for the Winter

Started by Ramicorn, November 03, 2016, 08:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramicorn

Hi there, bought a wood splitter this year and just wondering if there is anything special I should do before I put it away for the winter, like draining the hydraulic fluid. I live up in Nova Scotia, Canada so will (hopefully) have a cold winter, but will be stored in a barn.
Thanks

sprucebunny

You might want to spray/wipe it with oil to fight rust.

Mine stays out all winter with a canvas tarp on. I use it most in winter/spring.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

DDW_OR

Quote from: Ramicorn on November 03, 2016, 08:57:14 AM
Hi there, bought a wood splitter this year and just wondering if there is anything special I should do before I put it away for the winter..........
Thanks

when in doubt read the manual.

IMO - draining the Hydraulic fluid = no
retract splitting ram
if gas engine, shut off fuel valve then run till stops. then remove spark plugs, add one or two squirts of clean motor oil into each cylinder, re-install spark plugs
diesel engine ? ?
"let the machines do the work"

sawguy21

If a gas engine put Sta-Bil or other quality fuel stabilizer in the tank then run the engine so the treated gas gets into the carburetor. Shut the fuel off to prevent flooding the crankcase once done. I don't suggest covering it if stored inside, condensation will collect under a tarp. Rodent deterrent would be a good idea.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

I just cover the engine and call it good enough .Change the oil at the beginning of firewood season .Never had a problem yet .

It's a home built,heavy,ugly .Paint might make them look spiffy but it doesn't make them work any better .

69bronco

Best thing I can think of if your not using it , is to run a tank of non-ethanol through it..

trapper

I run non-ethanol premium with stablizer  all the time then 6 hours or 6 months later they start.  Splitter, tiller, motorcycle, lawn mowers. I do not drain the fuel.  I use non-ethanol premium for saw mix also.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Al_Smith

Most of the newer style carbs use a diaphragm type fuel pump that will after time develop problems due to ethanol deterioration  .It's about a 5 dollar fix . More of a general nuisance than any thing

Older small engines with a gravity tank,like my 11 HP Briggs splitter engine don't seem to be bothered with it ,no fuel pump .

I've had problems with 2 18 HP mower engines,one generator and one leaf vacuum .

Ramicorn

Right on, yeah use the high test for all my small engines, sometimes the manuals seem to go a little overboard in what all you have to do. Thanks for the advice fellas.

Farmerjw

I'll send you my address, you can ship it to me and I'll run it every weekend.  Will put it in a shed when not being used.  :)
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Ramicorn

Haha, thats mighty kind of ya, just send me your credit card info and I'll arrange the shipping :D

Farmerjw

Quote from: Ramicorn on November 07, 2016, 07:20:41 AM
Haha, thats mighty kind of ya, just send me your credit card info and I'll arrange the shipping :D

Geez, try to help a guy and he wants me to pay!?! :D :) ::)
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Thank You Sponsors!