iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More great news!

Started by Woodhauler, November 01, 2016, 06:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Verso , jay maine mill laying off 190 and shutting down #3 paper machine.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Grandpa

Please don't think I'm shooting the messenger here, but your posts for the last year or so are downright depressing.
What do they make at that mill? Verso here makes glossy paper as far as I know.

Woodhauler

Quote from: Grandpa on November 01, 2016, 07:31:57 PM
Please don't think I'm shooting the messenger here, but your posts for the last year or so are downright depressing.
When there is some happy news in this industry I will be sure to post it! Wood buyer said 350,000 ton of coated glossy paper off the market. Zwonder how much raw  wood product that equals?
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

thecfarm

Depressing?? I live only about 15 minutes from the mill. I wonder what will happen to the town and businesses. I work in a hardware store in Jay,only minutes from the mill. Things are tight now,I wonder how much more they can tighten. It is not good. Not many places to work around here. What I mean,places that pay more than $15 an hour.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

xalexjx

hopefully something changes, pulp market is not good.
Logging and Processed Firewood

starmac

Sad news, just to put this in prospective, what is the population of Jay??
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

thecfarm

About 5000. Surrounding towns have,like Livermore Falls and Wilton,I would think have just as many. Closet good size city in one direction is Augusta,capital of Maine,than the other direction is Lewiston and Auburn,than the other way is Bangor. Go the past Farmington and not much that way,but more small towns. Not much in this area,except logging.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

repmma

At least the state is doing a good job with the National Park moving along with those good paying park gate worker jobs...

:snowball:
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

Maine logger88

Quote from: Woodhauler on November 01, 2016, 07:42:37 PM
Quote from: Grandpa on November 01, 2016, 07:31:57 PM
When there is some happy news in this industry I will be sure to post it! Wood buyer said 350,000 ton of coated glossy paper off the market. Zwonder how much raw  wood product that equals?
Wonder when that will be... been a terrible couple years for the wood business in Maine I hope things turn around... I saw that on lunch break the day was going great till then.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

barbender

Man! You guys are taking a beating in Maine! :( Were a lot of these mills older?
Too many irons in the fire

low_48

I guess that is magazine paper stock? I don't subscribe to as many as I used to, and the ones I still get are less pages as well. With the increase in on-line content, magazines will soon be gone.

Woodhauler

Quote from: barbender on November 01, 2016, 10:25:41 PM
Man! You guys are taking a beating in Maine! :( Were a lot of these mills older?
No most mills are fairly modern, News this morning said 5 mills closed since 2014 and 2000 jobs lost!

thecfarm

I think that one in Jay was built in '63? Not too far off. I think that is when my Father started to work there. Area guys will know the Otis mill,he was working there,went up to the new mill in '63. But some of the machines are "old". If another mill can make paper faster,than the orders will go there.

snowstorm

Quote from: barbender on November 01, 2016, 10:25:41 PM
verso new page owned by  appolo group a couple billonaires. one complaint in jay was the high cost of power. they just sold a hydro dam

WV Sawmiller

I never understood the paper industry anyway. I drove a truck for a few months between other jobs and I bet half my loads were paper (sheets or rolls). I'd pick up a load in Minnesota and take it to Fla then run across to Ga and pick up another load to take to Michigan. I'd pass a hundred paper mills along the route. Looks like they could have found their paper closer to each other.

I heard rumors it was a tax issue and paper in transient was not counted on inventory so the company would deplete then do their inventory at one mill then start shipping to it from their other mills that had not been inventoried. The bean counters had figured the transport costs were less than the taxes.

And don't even drop a loaded trailer and look for an empty trailer on the lot at a car manufacturer. The "empties" were always full of the factory parts awaiting assembly - free warehouse space. More bean counters at work.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Tarm

Woodhauler
I was told by the Experia wood buyer that it takes 4 tons of pulp wood to make one ton of finished paper. So about 1.4 million tons of pulpwood and/or wood chips have lost their market.

Woodhauler

Quote from: Tarm on November 02, 2016, 07:53:05 AM
Woodhauler
I was told by the Experia wood buyer that it takes 4 tones of pulp wood to make one ton of finished paper. So about 1.4 million tons of pulpwood and/or wood chips have lost their market.
The woodbuyers I have talked to said it will be 350,00 to 400,00 ton of wood they won't be buying.Also  they will most likely close down the dover maine wood yard putting 4 more people out of work.

Skip

Same situation here only its coal. Somethings gotta give SOON !

barbender

We lost most of the older lines. I think UPM Blandin's newer line was built in the late 80's or early 90's, same with the New Page mill in Duluth (I was told they are "sister" machines, same design and construction). The Verso mill in Sartell was scrapped a few years back.  I don't know how many lines they had, but I was told one of them was built in the early 1900's. Boise had a oine shut down a few years back that really hurt the chip market.  That happened in part because they were reliant on kraf from Sappi, which Sappi quit producing when they went to cellulosic fiber production. One piece of good news for us, LP is putting in another engineered siding plant in the old Ainsworth OSB plant in Cook. I hope things turn around for you guys in Maine, there's gotta be someone in industry eyeballing your wood basket.
Too many irons in the fire

Woodhauler

I think the machinery in the mills is/ was fairly modern. Verso bucksport had just spent millions before they shut it down. No matter how new things are if you can't sell the product its time to do something different.

deastman

I was told today that the Milo chip plant was done buying wood after today, all their chips go to Verso in Jay. Supposedly Verso has 6 month's worth of wood in their yard. They gave one larger contractor a quota of 5 loads for the whole month of November.   :embarassed:
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

Maine logger88

Woodhauler I was looking through past threads here awhile back and found one from 2014 you nailed it on what mills were gonna close. I didn't believe it would be that bad at the time but wow things have changed.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Woodhauler

Quote from: deastman on November 02, 2016, 07:44:21 PM
I was told today that the Milo chip plant was done buying wood after today, all their chips go to Verso in Jay. Supposedly Verso has 6 month's worth of wood in their yard. They gave one larger contractor a quota of 5 loads for the whole month of November.   :embarassed:
I must be lucky! I got 5 loads for month too!

Woodhauler

Quote from: deastman on November 02, 2016, 07:44:21 PM
Yes, between dover and the yard at mill they could run till spring all easy. The full effect of this will be widely felt. Lots of guys out in western maine, new Hampshire and Vermont wont survive this. Then you get the almost inevinitable price drops at the few mills left!! :(

snowstorm

and 300000ac get sold in northern me. way up north around escourt station. it says in the bangor paper it will continue to be a working forest

Thank You Sponsors!