iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Role Models

Started by whitepe, November 22, 2004, 06:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitepe

I am sure that a lot of you saw the replays of the
ugly incident at the Pistons-Pacers game the other night.
I am already tired of seeing it and saddened that our
society tends to put successful sports figures on a pedestal
as if they are role models to be worshipped by our kids.
My role models in life are all of the wonderful folks who hang
out in the Forestry Forum.  You guys and gals are the people
that I respect.  :)
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Brad_S.

whitepe,
I was going to say you're safe with me, I can't shoot a basketball to save my life, then I looked at your tractor picture again and saw your boy shooting hoops in the background! Better keep a firm grip on the rudder with him!! :D :D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

whitepe

Not to worry... He seems to have a firm grip on the sofa
way to much to make me happy.  ;D

fstedy

I'm with you Whitepe society places to much emphasis on sports today as Bro.Noble professes we could use more prayer and relegion in this country. It certainly has gone downhill since that O'Hair womans Supreme Court Victory!!!
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Timber_Framer

I've always been good at shootin basketballs, but the other kids complaned about the holes :D
Luckily we don't have television, and am planning on keeping it that way. I remember when kids could look up to sports figures they were the good guys, but now :'( Even the nice guys are being accused of rape, drunken driving and steroid abuse. And evn if they're not caught or accused of somehting they are holding out for contracts that are worth more money then the Gross National Product of most of South American Countries! I rememebr when NFL linemen has summer jobs :o Now Sammy Sosa is getting fined $87,000.00 which equals one days pay :-/
They're just not anyone I want my kids to look up to.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Patty

Norm & I were talking about this same thing the other day...What is it about society that wants to look up to movie stars and sports guys. ::)

In my world, a good plumber is of far greater importance to me than some guy who can hit a baseball, or some gal that can speak lines in a movie. I would not walk across the street to meet Barbara Striestand, but I'll pay BIG BUCKS to get a plumber out to my house when I need one!

:D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Mark M

Tom and I would roll pretty good if you gave us a good push downhill. :D

HORSELOGGER

I guess we would need models of you and Tom, Mark ::)
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Minnesota_boy

QuoteI guess we would need models of you and Tom, Mark ::)

Wouldn't a slightly deflated basketball make a pretty good model? ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Haytrader

Speaking of role models. (or not)
I risk controversy here.
How could one put upon a pedistal a drug addict?
A person that clearly abused drugs.
Yet some do (not me).
An entertainer......
Some of you may have heard of him.....
Any guesses?
Haytrader

Fla._Deadheader

Trader, that would be a VERY long list.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Haytrader

Sadly, yes.
But there is one particular and popular one I had in mind.
Haytrader

WV_hillbilly

Haytrader

I was going to guess the Mayor of Washington D.C.   .  But he's not an entertainer .

It is a shame about the alleged rolemodels in this society .I'm glad my kids are addicted to huntin and fishin shows,  not some nasty Playstation games .
Hillbilly

Bruce_A

Have you ever gone to sleep on a fall day, bundled up tight with a fishing pole in hand and wake up to find you hadn't baited the hook or dropped the line in the water.SWEET DREAMS!!!

chet

You are probably referring to Ozzy Osbourn. In my book though, he would never be classified as an entertainer.  :(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

J_T

Chet I agree 8) I know where the off button on my tv is and use it . I had rather pound sand in a rat hole than watch most shows :D :D
Jim Holloway

WV_hillbilly

Bruce

I,ve never done that but I did take a nap or 2 today while deer hunting .
Hillbilly

sandmar

I assume Haytrader is speaking of Elvis Presley. Of course,I been wrong before ::)
Sandmar

J_T

Sandmar naw Elvis is reformed and working at a gas station somewhere :D :D :D
Jim Holloway

etat

JT,  :D :D :D  I did hear he has trouble staying very long in any one place.  Something about leaving the building. :)

Ozzy Osbourn, never did interest me at all.

Now back to Elvis.

Hmmn, role model, no.
Talented,yes.  
I never remember him having to use profanity in his music.
As a kid I really liked his movies, and his music.
Early to mid 60's era. Mostly lost interest after that.
Before I was a teenager. Heck sometimes now though  I still like to watch some of his old movies.
The house he was born in is just down the road a few miles or so.  A little two room shotgun house and at the time he was borned, on the bad side of town.
I NEVER envied the fact that he couldn't go out in public, ever.

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

etat

By the way, I didn't mention my role models.  I had a lot of em, however, some of em I didn't even realize at the time.  None of em was sports figures, entertainers, or actors, except maybe for one president.  Other than that would be my grandpa's, Mr. TC Ellis, and many many other various people along the way.  

Ok, maybe one other entertainer, I always liked Bill Cosby. :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

TN_man

Like Timber_Framer, we don't have a TV either. Well, we have a little 5" thing that only gets two stations so we can watch the news. We really don't have time for TV. I used to be a basketball fan, but the game has changed sooo much from the time I was playing as a kid. Professional ball now resembles street ball. No rules, no teamwork, no discipline. It looks like two gangs playing hoops. Half the guys could not score if they had refs calling traveling, palming-the-ball, or pushing. Nothing professional about them. ::)
My dad used to say that sports brings the worst out of people and I would argue that it also brings out the best in people. This certainly is a boost to his arguement. :-/
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Haytrader

sandmar,

You would win the prize, if there was one.
I agree that he had some good music. It is just that I get hacked off the way some people imortilize him.
Nuther thing that gets my goat is the amount of money that is paid to sports figures and entertainers. That money along with all the money spent on political campaigns could solve a lot of problems and fund projects that would benifit lots of folks.
OK, OK, I'll get down.. ;)

I agree with what someone said earlier, you guys and gals are the ones I look up to. Just good ol genuine folks. Honest and hard workin.
Haytrader

whitepe

Len Elmore said it right last night..
There are too many emotional immature, uneducated kids going right from high school hoops to the pros.  These kids
don't know how to play as a team and in many cases they were allowed free reign over their high school career because no one else played with enough talent to compete against them.  The NBA is overlooking the fact that colleges hoops
brings a huge level of maturity, discipline and teamwork to the game that these kids are missing.  Most of the suspended players played very little if any at the college level.  It is obivious to me why Coach K of Duke passed up the Lakers coaching job.  Why would he want to go coach a bunch
of immature prima donnas?   He is most effective at Duke where he has the opportunity to build character and the job satisfaction there has to be enormous.

VA-Sawyer

Some of you may have heard me tell this before.... When I was a young teenager, my dad ( who was my best buddy in the whole world and still is my #1 role model ) was sent to Southeast Asia for a 1 year tour. We were stationed  in England when his orders came, so mom and us two boys moved to Wabash, Indiana to be near relatives while dad was in Thailand. I was fourteen, in a new town and going to a new school. Not a good time for me to say the least. The Jr High shop teacher was a fellow named Mr. Sargent who lived about a block from our house. He kinda adopted me for that year. He took me with him on many Saturdays and sometimes on Sunday when he went to fly model planes. He invited me over to his shop many evenings after school where I learned about planes, electronics and photography. He showed me a lot of kindness during that year. Before we left for Germany, I asked Mr. Sargent how I could ever repay him. He said I should take time to help others the same way.  I have tried to do that whenever I could. My wife and I were even given the Big Brothers-Big Sisters  Big Couple of the year award in 1997.    
 A couple of weeks ago I was up in Indiana helping my friend Jack with a roofing job. I took time off on a Sunday to drive over to Wabash to see my favorite Aunt&Uncle ( who also spent a lot of time helping us that year ) and to spend a couple of hours with Mr Sargent. He has retired from teaching, but he is still the same friendly gentleman I remember from 30 years ago. He still flys model planes and plays with electronics. I again thanked him for all that he did that year for me. He is still one of my role models as is my Aunt and Uncle.
VA-Sawyer

Thank You Sponsors!