iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rookie glue up question(s)

Started by azmtnman, October 30, 2016, 11:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azmtnman

I've begun trying to build a bar-height 30"x30" (ish) table. I glued 5 home sawn 2x6s together for the top. While I got them MOSTLY matched up, I didn't get them perfect and had to do a lot of sanding to get that seamless feel. Is there a trick to eliminate so much sanding? And then the table top is not is not perfectly flat after that much sanding.
  I did learn to cut the boards longer to square and even the ends (next time!)
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

warren46

When I do a glue up like that the first thing is to joint each board flat first and then plane all boards to the same thickness.  Then joint the edges two boards at a time so with the boards face to face so they will open like a book.  Then when actually gluing and clamping use cauls and a flat work bench top to keep the boards aligned.  A caul is a board on edge that is slightly wider in the center than at the edges.  When clamped across the glue up the thicker center applies pressure to the center of the glue up when the ends are clamped to the edges of the boards to be glued up.  Then apply clamps to clamp the boards together to complete the glue up.

Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

Den Socling

We don't have a jointer (absolutely no more floor space) so I put a 10' fence on the table saw. When Patti built her table - in another thread - she straightened up her boards then used a router to cut pockets. Then she used biscuits in the pockets to align the boards. She had to do very little sanding.

muggs

If you have a shaper, you can use a glue joint cutter on it.  Muggs

5quarter

X2 what Warren said. Also, if you use biscuit joinery, remember that its not really joinery, just a way to better align your boards at glue up. it does not offer a stronger joint. If you think you need a stronger joint, use a spline about 1/3 the thickness of your work. I use them a lot when end-joining pieces. Given the strength of modern glues, splining a side by side glue up is not really necessary. with a few exceptions, flat surface gluing is more than sufficient, as long as the glued faces have 100% contact.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Glenn Ohman

Quote from: muggs on October 31, 2016, 10:29:15 AM
If you have a shaper, you can use a glue joint cutter on it.  Muggs

Or a lumber jointer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8pz_FhafNM

Be sure to wax the clauls.

Glenn

OffGrid973

Based on how strong glues are today I believe decent size biscuits every 6-8 inches will help keep boards straight, and don't clamp extremely hard, not needed, just a little squeeze out.

Cauls are great if you have some straigh hardwood around, just tape them up so they don't adhere to your project. 
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Thank You Sponsors!