iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut?

Started by Evergreen Man, October 30, 2016, 10:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evergreen Man

??? ??? Picked this up for cheap, I'm told it's walnut, I wouldn't know walnut if it landed on my head, what do you guys think? :)

I used to think I was crazy, then I realized: I'm the only normal one.

Brad_bb

Sure looks like it.  If you start milling it and it's spitting out that tell tale brown/purple dust, you'll know for sure.  I could confirm if it is in person, but kinda hard with just your pics.  Peel some of the bark.  If you get the very smooth white sapwood under the bark, maybe with a texture like this, then I'd say it is.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

ToddsPoint

To me, it looks more like elm than walnut.  Lack of distinct sapwood and the bark.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

WV Sawmiller

I have not cut elm so can't comment on the differences but it sure looks similar to walnut if it is not. Another tell tale if it is a fresh cut walnut log is you may get green color briefly when you mill it due to some sort of oxidation or other chemical reaction to exposure to air.

Walnut is fun to cut but keep the sawdust away from livestock (especially horses I am told) and some folks recommend wearing a dust mask when cutting it. At least one member here on the FF has a mild allergy to it similar to poison ivy or cow itch vine.

Good luck with it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Evergreen Man

scully

Could be butter nut ? Either way looks like some sweet lumber to me .
I bleed orange  .

Evergreen Man

Yeah, a customer wants a big slab out of the middle for a table.

40" log vs 32" sawmill, haven't figured out yet exactly how I'm going to make this work :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!