iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Don't forget safety glasses

Started by yukon cornelius, October 30, 2016, 07:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

Or you will look like this. My table saw through a hunk at me. I ordered a nice set of glasses I will just start wearing all the time. I had a matching eye on the other side from a limb smacking it a few weeks ago. I am Blessed that it isn't worse.

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hope you heal soon......now......what really happened?  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

dustyhat

WV Sawmiller

YC,

Glad it is not worse and thanks for the reminder.

Admins,

Looks like a prime candidate thread to relocate to the Health and Safety category don't you think?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

John Mc

I'm glad you can still see... and that you have decided to start wearing safety glasses.

I remember years ago, a few weeks after I started as a shift supervisor in a manufacturing plant, a guy showed up to work that I had never met before. Turns out he had worked there for about 20 years. He was grinding the flash off a butt-weld on some steel wire, and a piece got in his eye. He had been off work waiting for it to heal up enough to return. A couple days later, I walked out to find him grinding with his safety glasses up on top of his head. HE said "I've been doing this for 20 years, I know what I'm doing and I'm careful. I pointed out that apparently that wasn't the case 100% of the time. We had a nice "discussion" about the rules, and I asked him if he was looking forward to being able to read bedtime stories to his new grandchild, and watch him play baseball when he got older.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Magicman

It is well known here on the FF that I always wear my safety gear.  Since something is gradually happening to the Setworks display and sawmill height scale making them more difficult to see I recently ordered and am using these:  Yellow Bifocal Safety Glasses
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Magicman on October 30, 2016, 10:08:25 PM
It is well known here on the FF that I always wear my safety gear.  Since something is gradually happening to the Setworks display and sawmill height scale making them more difficult to see I recently ordered and am using these:  Yellow Bifocal Safety Glasses
Hmm, I like those but only +1.50.  I'll have to search around more.  I need something like 2.25 or 2.5 to be able to see :-\
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

LeeB

Check Valen safety supply. I order them 10 pair at a time. A little pricey but cheaper than a seeing eye dog.
And of course, Amazon has everything these days.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_3_18?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=bifocal+safety+glasses&sprefix=bifocal+safety+gla%2Caps%2C2028&crid=S5HC0P9M5LLR
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sandsawmill14

glad that it wasnt a little lower :o stay safe and watch what you say to ms yukon next time ;D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

yukon cornelius

:D my wife told me once  :D :D i knew better than to not wear them or to not clear the loose pieces so i carry the blame  ;)

sandsawmill14

just be glad you were lucky smiley_thumbsup hope you heal soon :)

Roxie

Yukon, one day Cowboy Bob came home with an injury identical to the one you're sporting there.  He claimed it happened while he was loading a sheep, which isn't generally something one thinks will require protective eye wear.  My only question was if there were witnesses to this event.  I just had to wonder how someone could get a sheep to be that angry.   :D

I hope you heal quickly. 
Say when

Raider Bill

I started wearing yellow lens at night while riding the bike. Makes a big difference in glare and being able to see better.

1.50 for a youngster your age is pretty DanG good. Must have eaten your share of carrots.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

John Mc

My local hardware store occasionally stocks something similar in a clear lens. I've found them very helpful. On a good day, I can see well enough to sharpen my chain without glasses, but those good days are becoming fewer and further between.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Bruno of NH

I wear glasses and all my work ones have safety lenses .
I took a knot in the chest once off a contractor table saw cut me open pretty good .
We all need to work safe :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

AlaskaLes

In my past life of custom welding and steel fabrication, I had 3 different incidents where I was wearing either safety glasses or a full face shield and still had something find it's way into my eye.
All 3 required visits to the optometrist so he could grind the offending particle out.
I practically LIVE with safety glasses on. 
My favorite kind is the UVEX Genesis.  They are very comfy, wrap around the sides, and the lenses are replaceable.
I can usually get about 4-6 lens changes before the frame is junk.
They also come in clear, yellow, sunglasses and oxy-welding lenses.

Personally, I cringe and then think about mentioning stupidity whenever I see someone doing any cutting or fabrication without safety glasses. 

I'm with Magicman...I ALWAYS wear my protective gear!!
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

MrMoo

When I run my table saw I always wear a face shield I feel it is better protection than the just glasses.

brianb88

I work in the electrical industry (substation work for TVA) and the contractor I work for has strict safety regulations. Safety glasses have become such a part of our everyday routine that it has become as common as having a pocket knife in my pocket. I feel naked without either one. I wear http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crossfire-2117-HD-Safety-Glasses-Infinity-Brown-Frame-Brown-Mirror-Lens-6-Pack/281874654049?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3Df6a824357817466cb033edfbd236a74c%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D281874671689

They are very durable, comfortable and relatively inexpensive. I now wear them as sunglasses because of the comfort and the lense clarity. Not to mention they look pretty good.
Measure twice, cut once

red

You can glue small magnets to the side of safety glasses and they can hang on outside of toolboxes . This way they are out in the open . If they are out of sight you maybe too.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Czech_Made

You are lucky!

I almost lost my right eye to a bungee cord, now who wears safety glasses when securing load on a trailer with bungees?

Could not see with my right eye for three days and the pupil does not close all the way anymore, just glad I still have my right eye :)

thecfarm

My first pair of glasses was prescription safety glasses with the removable side shields. progression lenses and tinted. Nothing stylish. Soon as I said safety,the selection was narrowed down to about 20 from about 200. But I liked them. Very handy to have. They was always on my face. At home or at work.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

yukon cornelius

well it seems it isnt all clear. a bit of double vision is causing me some trouble especially in low light. after a short drive my wife wouldn't let me drive. possibly the swelling is causing it. i will just wait and "see"  hurt_smiley

sandsawmill14

hate to hear that  :( may need to see the doc dont take any chances with it :) and remember the correct answer is always YES MAM ;D ;)

Peter Drouin

Sometimes a slap along side the head will wake a guy up to use some safety stuff. :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Kbeitz

Safety glasses and super magnets. I use them both all the time working with metal.
Many time I used the super magnets to remove metal from my eyes. Works great.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Bert

QuoteMany time I used the super magnets to remove metal from my eyes. Works great.

steve_smiley Man i dont know if thats FDA approved.
Saw you tomorrow!

Kbeitz

Quote from: Bert on November 01, 2016, 10:44:24 AM
QuoteMany time I used the super magnets to remove metal from my eyes. Works great.

steve_smiley Man i dont know if thats FDA approved.

I cant stand the pain of a metal splinter in my eye.
The magnet pulls the metal out real fast... relief ahh...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

timberlinetree

Ouch! Hope it gets better! Will be waiting to "see" if it does! Work safe and good luck!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

yukon cornelius

My swelling is mostly gone and it is now just a yellow-green bruise around it. the vision is better but still some trouble after dark. I think it will all go away. I have my new safety glasses now and wear them all day regardless. I went with uvex tomcat with clear lenses. they are lightweight wire frames and don't feel like goggles. they don't fog up or make me feel uncomfortable.  now to keep the habit going.

Thank You Sponsors!