iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New chainsaw

Started by gran, October 30, 2016, 03:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gran

Hi

I need new chainsaw, i'll buy it next year. The old one has 3.7 kW, i'm looking for something similar. I'm interested in following models:
Husquarna 560 XP
Husquarna 562 XP
Stihl 362
Stihl 362 C-M

They all have 3.5 kW. What do you recommend?

starmac

This is only one example of my saw guys opinion, but he has been a Husky dealer from the git go, his dad was one of the first in Alaska.
I was just talking him friday and ask about the 562 or actually the johnsered equivilent, and he advised me that husky has had problems with the electronics, and told me if I wanted a saw that size go with the 365.

Now here is my take and I mentioned it (he agreed) why would I possibly want to lug around a 365 when it is the very same as lugging a 372, but less saw. He said I think like he does, but many folks look at the 150 dollar difference instead.

the 562 sounds like a great saw, but I put some faith in his experience with them and he will be the service guy, I think I will wait on one.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Texas-Jim

One thing lot of people over look, they are all good saws. But always buy one if theres a dealer close. Lot of places sell them but dont work on them or have access to parts. Even if you do your own work in case of failure under warranty.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

starmac

Several places here in town sells huskys, but the dealer has to do the warranty work on them, no matter where you buy them. He has mostly changed over to johnsereds due to some marketing shenanagins husky has pulled, just keeps minimal professional huskys in stock now.  Because of Huskys 12% Alaska premium they put on Alaska saws, he can not even begin to compete with box stores that have store fronts in the lower 48, but they do not handle much in the xp line anyway.

khntr85

Well I have a ms362 that I got as a non-runner and I rebuilt it.... I must say it is now my main firewood saw, and I do cut a lot.... I keep a 20" bar on it, and it cuts hardwood fine as that's all I cut....I should add that mine is the adjustable carb and it runs *DanG good...

John Mc

Gran -

They are all very good saws. I did hear that Husky had problems with the 560/562 early on, but have not heard of current problems with them (though there are a number of folks on here more familiar with them than I am).

Where are you from? The 560 is not available here in the US.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

JB Husky

I'm only a few cords into it but my 562 runs well. It seems to be a pretty good compromise between big enough to do what I need but light enough to cut most of the day. I recommend it based a relatively small sample size.
455 Rancher
562 xP
Stihl 460
Echo 750 EVL
Antique Brave splitter

HiTech

I bought a 562XP the first year they came out. I had trouble starting it when it was warmed up until I read the directions. After that no problems. Great power to weight ratio. I have never seen a saw go from idle to wide open as fast as this saw does, very impressive. Not bad on fuel for what it does. It will handle a 24" bar but I keep the 20" on most of the time. To me it was well worth the money. I run non-ethanol gas and husky oil. I run the oil a little richer than 50 to 1 closer to 40 to 1.

CTYank

You could say that power ratings are only as good as who rates them. Per actual dyno test, one saw that would fit nicely into your group of candidates, the Dolmar 6100, is honestly rated. Pro quality, great value.

Then there's the Echo 590, a bit less power for under $400.

Won't tell what I know about stihl 362, to not upset sponsor. Ask spike60 (honest dealer) about the Husqy 562 or comparable Jonsered. He deals with loggers. They'll test things.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

nitehawk55

After the way my last recommendation went sideways I'm just going to remain quiet and watch .

Good luck with your choice , all good .
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

gran

Thanks for your answers!

I'm from Slovenia, Europe. Husquarna and Stihl have solid network of dealers and services here, I think i'll have no problems with warranty and parts availability. I plan to visit some dealers and ask about offers, I've heard for one offer, where i get free helmet and gloves if I buy a chainsaw (not sure which one).

khntr85

Quote from: CTYank on November 01, 2016, 11:46:38 AM
You could say that power ratings are only as good as who rates them. Per actual dyno test, one saw that would fit nicely into your group of candidates, the Dolmar 6100, is honestly rated. Pro quality, great value.

Then there's the Echo 590, a bit less power for under $400.

Won't tell what I know about stihl 362, to not upset sponsor. Ask spike60 (honest dealer) about the Husqy 562 or comparable Jonsered. He deals with loggers. They'll test things.
Well now you have to tell us about the ms362 lol...... no one should get upset over you or anyone else's opinion...

HiTech

Apparently people out there don't like the 562 XP....I can understand that. The first time I tried to start it hot I didn't like it either. lol I was smart enough to read the instruction manual and learn the proper way. No problems since. It fits nice on my skidder and in my hand.

HolmenTree

My 562XP is pretty well wore out now pushing 2000 hours, and yes never had its cylinder removed or took it into the dealer for service.
But I'm ready for a change and looking at a new edition MS362CM (with the funny looking new sprocket cover. )
Don't get me wrong I'll still run my 562 to the end of its life.
MS261CM with 63PS b/c also in the plans for backup.
Big block saw to replace my 066AV and 395XP?
Well who ever gets either the MS462 or the 572 ? XP releashed first I'll be looking at. :)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

rburg

To Holmen tree, if you do buy a 362cm I would be interested in how you think it compares to your 562. I hope to get to run a 362cm one of these days to see for myself.

JohnG28

Quote from: starmac on October 30, 2016, 04:21:30 PM
This is only one example of my saw guys opinion, but he has been a Husky dealer from the git go, his dad was one of the first in Alaska.
I was just talking him friday and ask about the 562 or actually the johnsered equivilent, and he advised me that husky has had problems with the electronics, and told me if I wanted a saw that size go with the 365.

Now here is my take and I mentioned it (he agreed) why would I possibly want to lug around a 365 when it is the very same as lugging a 372, but less saw. He said I think like he does, but many folks look at the 150 dollar difference instead.

the 562 sounds like a great saw, but I put some faith in his experience with them and he will be the service guy, I think I will wait on one.

That 365 can be turned into a 372 with about an hour's work, which is probably why people choose it over the 372. Save the $150 and get the same saw, other than stickers.  ;)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

HolmenTree

Quote from: rburg on November 04, 2016, 11:02:51 AM
To Holmen tree, if you do buy a 362cm I would be interested in how you think it compares to your 562. I hope to get to run a 362cm one of these days to see for myself.
rburg, yes I definitely will make full report of the MS362C-M.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

starmac

Quote from: JohnG28 on November 04, 2016, 05:12:07 PM
Quote from: starmac on October 30, 2016, 04:21:30 PM

That 365 can be turned into a 372 with about an hour's work, which is probably why people choose it over the 372. Save the $150 and get the same saw, other than stickers.  ;)

At what cost for parts?
I can't imagine buying a 365 with the intent to make it into a 372, just to save a few bucks, even if it was the whole 150, which it wouldn't be.

rburg

It doesn't take parts, just some time and labor to grind out the restrictors and retune the carb.

starmac

Good to know, I figured there would be a jug and piston involved.
I will keep that in mind incase I was to run into a screaming deal on a used 365, if buying new, I would still go the 372 route.

rburg

The 365xt uses the same p/c as the 372xt. The older 365 special used a different p/c than the 372 that was made at the same time.

Thank You Sponsors!