iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My favorite tree

Started by Jeff, October 28, 2016, 09:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Yes, I have one. Do you? :)

This one is on Weidman Rd and I get to see it whenever I go to visit my sister. It is magnificent! 
Let's see your favorite. :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave Shepard

I don't think I can narrow it down to just one. This sycamore was 4'10" DBH in 2006. Few people seem to notice it.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Kbeitz

I wish it was closer to home or even in my back yard.
I'm really thinking about buying the land that it's on...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

low_48

My favorite is this cherry. It's on an rail line converted to bike path. I say hello each time I go past mile 5.5.

Kbeitz

Quote from: low_48 on October 28, 2016, 09:32:48 PM
My favorite is this cherry. It's on an rail line converted to bike path. I say hello each time I go past mile 5.5.

Now that's a bike...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

low_48

Thanks. I bought it off Craigslist in May. I've put on over 1,300 miles. It has a 36 volt lithium ion battery pack, and computer, in that center compartment, and a 500w hub motor on the back wheel. 26"x4.9" tires, that sound like a Jeep on pavement. I can do about 24 miles with pedaling and battery assist. 3 hour recharge. They are available on-line only, used to be $499 for the bike, and $200 for shipping. They started with Indiegogo, then Kickstarter, now sell as they go. They've sold something like 16,000 bikes since the start of 2015. It's a blast!

Den Socling

I've shown this one before. See Patti?

timberlinetree

Those are some neat ones!

New England coconut :D

Big shaggy!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

David Freed

I never really thought about a favorite tree until this thread.

This tree was a fence post that my grandpa set about 100 years ago. A little twig sprang out to the right and it's been growing ever since.

When I was a boy, that limb was about 2' off the ground and that was my wooden "horse".

kderby

Drove past my favorite tree today coming home from elk camp. 

Beautiful Ponderosa Pine, it is a real specimen tree.  Sixty or eighty feet to the first limb and a good full crown.  Gorgeous!

Never have taken a picture but I sure know that tree is my favorite tree.

Found another today that was massive.  Likely four hundred years on that mountain side.  The limbs look to be sixteen inches in diameter, as big as some trees I mill.

Kderby

Roxie

David, that is one awesome memory, and one incredible tree.  Thank you for sharing it. 
Say when

Roxie

From a distance, this sycamore looks like a group of trees at the end of the driveway to that farm.   Up close it is just magnificent with enormous limbs.  My favorite tree:

@thecfarm, there is one of those 90 degree, unmarked, turns. 
Say when

Brucer

My favourite tree is a Western Larch just the other side of my parking "lot". It kind of stands out above the surrounding Cedars to most people looks like just another tree in the forest.

I've got two pictures of it, but I need to take a third one this week so's you can see what makes it special. I need a sunny day with a blue sky to get the right picture, otherwise you'll have to wait until next year to see it.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Kbeitz

Quote from: David Freed on October 30, 2016, 05:24:43 PM
I never really thought about a favorite tree until this thread.

This tree was a fence post that my grandpa set about 100 years ago. A little twig sprang out to the right and it's been growing ever since.

When I was a boy, that limb was about 2' off the ground and that was my wooden "horse".

In other country's they have fence post that turned into trees.
All you see in the picture was just twigs stuck in the ground and grew.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

Roxie,thanks for the picture. Those 90°  corners was real odd to me. And those one way bridges was odd too. I can think of one bridge like that about a half hour from me.If that was in Lancaster County,I betcha we was on that road. We use to ride around all day long. We ventured out a little bit of The County. Got really confused a few times. When we did leave,we than started to stay on a main road. Really like that area. I felt it was like a box.  ;D  Had 2 major freeways that kinda encircles Lancaster County and if we did not cross that freeway,we could not get lost. Kinda like a horse in a fenced in area.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Darrel

I had never thought of a favorite tree.  I'm also one of many in these parts that would be just as happy if all juniper trees would disappear.  That being said, I have to admit that I admire this juniper.  Its just a tad bit over 20' to the first limb.

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

Apparently the chicken agrees with you.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

leot

First saw this one about 45 years ago. it is a natural graft of a white and red pine about 20 ft up.
48 in manual mill 1880's

DonT

Your tree reminds me of the one from the movie Shawshank redemption.

Darrel

Quote from: Magicman on November 02, 2016, 04:27:23 PM
Apparently the chicken agrees with you.   ;D

That chicken was headed out of the barn, she had just laid an egg.  Neighbors chickens are always coming over here and donating eggs to a worthy cause. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Kbeitz

This is my favorite tree on my farm...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Billbob

Quote from: Jeff on October 28, 2016, 09:00:16 PM

This one is on Weidman Rd and I get to see it whenever I go to visit my sister. It is magnificent! 

Wow!  That is a post card quality tree!
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Jeff

Quote from: Jeff on October 28, 2016, 09:00:16 PM

A winter view of my favorite tree.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SawyerTed

My favorite tree is a non-descript little chestnut oak.  It is in a barn lot on the corner of Volunteer Road and High Bridge Road.  I used to drive to and from work past that tree. I learned to hang my worries on that tree on the way home from work.  My worries were there each morning when I went to work so I picked them up and carried them during the day.   Each evening I was able to go home and be present with my family.  It was a rough time but my work related concerns hung on that tree on nights and weekends. At the time I thought that little tree held the weight of the world.   Looking back, those worries really didn't do much to change the world but that tree changed mine.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

lxskllr

This is probably my favorite tree that's still standing. Picture doesn't do it justice. It's on a jobsite I'm occasionally on. I like the way the limbs are close to the ground. Immensely climbable, and oaks are my favorite trees anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!