iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cheap Stihl 064 or not?

Started by ReggieT, October 28, 2016, 12:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Hey guys,
Talked with a guy last night who wants to sell his 064...all it needs is a cylinder/piston kit.
Not for sure why it seized up...he's going by the word of his Stihl dealer...they said it was "just time" to rebuild it, while trying to slam him into an MS880 and allowing him $250 trade allowance! ::)
He wants $250...Is is worth it?
Whats the resale on nice 064 these days?
I've looked at kits for the 064 & 066...they seem reasonable...IF that's all thats wrong with it! :D
Thanks
Reg

sawguy21

I sure would not pay that kind of money for a worn out saw, the dealer must have a good margin factored into the 880 or wants to get rid of it. It would be worth that if in condition.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ReggieT

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 28, 2016, 12:40:47 PM
I sure would not pay that kind of money for a worn out saw, the dealer must have a good margin factored into the 880 or wants to get rid of it. It would be worth that if in condition.
Thanks Sawguy21,
Decent price to rebuild or hand onto as a runner right?
066 top end?

celliott

$100, maybe $150 TOPS for a pro saw needing a rebuild. The higher end is if everything else isn't all worn out and it's in good shape cosmetically (for reselling) If it's all worn out, needs alot of work, they really aren't worth that much, because it costs so much in parts to get them 100%, and then, depending on the saw, a used saw doesn't usually bring alot of money. So the price needs to be pretty cheap to start with.

I'd offer $75, and pay $100 if that 064 was in reasonable shape and needed a top end.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

ZeroJunk

Hard to tell without looking at it. Could be all it needs is the cylinder cleaned up and a $40 dollar piston. But, I wouldn't throw $250 at it before I took it apart. 064's are somewhat sought after , not hard to get $400 or better for one in good shape.

Fokke

Last winter I bought a 064 for 300 euro (about 330 dollars) and it is a hell of a saw. It's damaged cosmetically: the air filter assembly is a bit tilted on the right and the cover has a corner broken but the engine is very clean. So I would not buy that saw for $250.

Thank You Sponsors!