iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sweet Potato Pone

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, October 28, 2016, 10:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

Pone is pie without the crust. My mother used to make this for us.
I don't have her recipe but this came pretty close.
It takes 2 - 3 sweet potatoes baked until soft, slip the skins and mash.

2 Cups sweet potato
1 cup canned milk
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 stick butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Mix ingredients until smooth. Prepare a pie pan by oiling and then shake in some flour.
Cook in 350 deg oven 45 minutes to 1 hr.

I like to top mine with vanilla ice cream!  ;D
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on October 28, 2016, 10:54:04 AM
Pone is pie without the crust. My mother used to make this for us.

I like to top mine with vanilla ice cream!  ;D
Jon

I never really knew what pone is. Heard it mentioned in before  always though it was something like grits and sorghum.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Mooseherder

I'm gonna have to try that. :)

coxy

can you make it out of something besides sweet potatos they are like grits to me  steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley :D :D

Weekend_Sawyer

coxy

sawguy21

It's ok coxy, I'll eat your share :D That sounds interesting.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sandsawmill14

Quote from: coxy on October 28, 2016, 05:37:45 PM
can you make it out of something besides sweet potatos they are like grits to me  steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley :D :D

:o :o :o :o :o you would have starved to death down here  :o :o :o i bet you dont even like turnips do you ::)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

thecfarm

Never starve if there is bread,meat and cheese.   ;D I grew up eating things I did not like,good thing we did not have grits. I'm all grown up now. I eat what I like.
I did refuse to eat turnips. Spinach and dandelion greens too. All that other stuff I had to eat. I never looked forward to meal time.
Now I look forward to meal time.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mooseherder

Everyone of these ingredients is on my good list.  They must be really good when you get them all in one place. :)

Weekend_Sawyer

It's funny how so many things I found absolutely yucky when I was a child I like now.
Collards are at the top of the list. Hated them when I was a kid and love them now.

sawguy21

I have heard of but never seen them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

coxy

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on October 31, 2016, 07:40:36 PM
Quote from: coxy on October 28, 2016, 05:37:45 PM

:o :o :o :o :o you would have starved to death down here  :o :o :o i bet you dont even like turnips do you ::)
steve_smiley steve_smiley :D use to love milk weed greens but cant remember how my mom cooked them its been at least 25-30 years since iv had them dandelion greens are good cooked or raw in a salad

thecfarm

Pig weeds or lamb quarters too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Skip

Dandelion greens ,vinegar, olive oil ,and a couple chopped up boiled eggs takes me way back (greens gotta be young)

coxy

sandsawmill14

Quote from: thecfarm on November 02, 2016, 05:53:52 AM
Pig weeds or lamb quarters too.

Quote from: Skip on November 02, 2016, 12:08:57 PM
Dandelion greens ,vinegar, olive oil ,and a couple chopped up boiled eggs takes me way back (greens gotta be young)

:o :o :o :o no thanks  :o :o :o and you guys think we eat funny down here :o
i will stick with my ground hog ( whistlepig) grits and poke sallet (poke berry) ;D :D :D :D
and the ground hog was always served with sweet potatoe pone or baked sweet potatoes food6 musteat_1

thecfarm

I can still hear my Father having a fit about Aunt Elda eating milkweed.
Than some other famer eating lamb quarters,pigweeds.  ;D
He would eat dandelion greens.

coxy

what is pigweed and lamb quarters  ??? ??? ;D

thecfarm

They are both the same,They grow in a garden a nuisance weed. We would weed the garden and feed them to the pigs.
Here's a link to lamb quarters
lamb quarters

Must be a slang word that my Father used,pig weed. As we fed lamb quarters to the pigs,hince pig weeds. And we never let them get that big either. Most time only a few inches tall,if that. Let the weeds grow,won't get as much produce.

Buck

WS, my grandmother made what she called a pone but it was a souffle.  I remember the sweet potatoes were grated and it had some whiskey in the recipe.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Weekend_Sawyer

Well you got my attention.

Can you post the whole recipe?

sandsawmill14

i have a sad report about the sweet potatoes :'( :-\ :( i bought 2 bushel at the flea market a few weeks back and asked the old gent how long they had been dug and if they had been dried for storage  ??? he said sure they are ready just box them up and keep them cool :) so i did and found out the other day he either lied or didnt know how to dry them one ::) as they are rotting i had already lost about 1/3 of them  >:( before i noticed it and after the bad ones being down in the box will likely lose at least 1/2 before it all said and done >:( if he had just said no they are still green i would have still bought them i would have just knew to leave them outside and dry them >:(  ::) be a long winter now with the sweet potato shortage here :-\ ::)

jwade

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on October 31, 2016, 12:35:30 PM
You can use pumpkin too.
ws how much flour do you mix in. gonna try that.

Weekend_Sawyer

I don't mix in any flour, I only use flour to dust the pan, helps it not to stick.

the pone will be an inch thick or so.  The first piece out of the pan usually gets destroyed then the rest comes out easy with a spatula. Tastes the same either way, GOOOOOOD!

jwade

thanks will try this soon,

Thank You Sponsors!