iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsert

Started by ehp, October 27, 2016, 04:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

I just got the new proto type .404 chain from these guys to test on my processor , I have been running their 3/4 inch chain and real like it so we will see how this new style cuts , its a square chisel style of cutter on it

OH logger

that will make  a smaller kerf for sure. don't sound like much but that adds up to a lot of most likely UNsellable sawdust at the end of the day. is that why you are tryin it?
john

ehp

the 3/4 inch makes a ton of sawdust but last ,I'm hoping the new .404 last as long but first makes less sawdust and hoping it cuts abit faster , I am thinking the bar is going to be the weak link in this setup, nobody really builds a good .404 bar . maybe someone like Gem does

1270d

The gem 404 I tried did not last.  They are a Narrow bar with not much belly and tend to wear into a "coke bottle" shape quickly.  Tip's went in under 30 hrs.   I believe it is because of the design of thier oil galley at the tail of the bar.   It is huge and I think the oil is used filling this galley instead of flowing onto the chain.   I have a wide tail bar though, narrow tails may well be different.

I have had great luck with the new speed max Oregon bars, and GB has worked well in the past.   

What do they ask for a loop of 404 chain serts?

OH logger

the guy that does my firewood has a 404 chain and he makes a dump truck (this truck holds 1.5 full cord of wood) of sawdust a day (while making plus or minus 25-30 or so cord of wood.) now if i could just compress that and make wood bricks or pellets i would be set. i just trade it to my buddy who owns a mulch business. he gets material and i get all the free mulch i need  ;D just a pain to haul it away every day they work. they dont have much trouble keepin bars and chains on the machine but i do everything i can to keep the logs CLEAN
john

BargeMonkey

The .404 GB bars are made in China, I got 3 dropped off a couple weeks ago and was asked to run them to death and see just how long they held up. I haven't been impressed with the Oregon bars either lately. It worked out to 1x 42gal large Rubbermaid trash can of sawdust to every cord of 16" wood on .404, shoveled alot of it before the sawdust system. We make about 10yd a week and supply a couple horse farms, the bark and chips off the processor is the pain to get rid off. How many cord have you gotten on that chain-serts chain so far ???

ehp

not really sure how many cord the 3/4 inch chain has cut , not a huge amount but cuts as good as it did when I first put it on, really it cuts a lot better than when I first put it on, I now am using max chain speed with less down pressure on the bar, cuts pretty good with this setup . In the stuff I'm doing right now a normal 3/4 inch chain would not last 15 minutes , this sand is brutal . I'm just machining a few parts to mount my 16 tooth gear to my shaft , I already made the bar to fit the head , the .404 chain is not as wide as the 3/4 inch but is wider than a harvester chain. Im told this is the first chain they ever made and cost me nothing as I'm testing it

1270d

I've only talked to one guy who tried chain ssert on a feller buncher.  3/4 pitch.   He said as it wore it became more aggressive and after a while the body of the chain couldn't hold up and it broke apart.   This was a while ago and they may have improved on the design.

ehp

the latest 3/4 inch is to be a better design , but on something other than a firewood processor I would just run normal chain, your not cutting dirt or sand like I am, the .404 is a lot different than a stock harvester chain

ehp

it so wet here you cannot work, we got over 10 inches of rain in the last 10 days . I ran the chain some today and it cuts pretty nice , super smooth and pretty fast, faster than the 3/4 inch chain, takes less power to cut with it and makes less sawdust but until I cut a bin I cannot say how much less . I like it

Thank You Sponsors!