iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Let Them Rot

Started by Magicman, October 27, 2016, 02:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

The below is just a few of the logs that Saturday's customer decided not to skid out for sawing.

Not sawing these very nice logs prompted me to take a look at my "upcoming job book" and calling some customers that have been there for several months.  Some of the logs were beetle killed SYP and some were fresh felled and the customer had a project in mind.  Some were skidded out and some not.  Money is sometimes tight, stuff happens, plans change, wife ran off with Mickey Mouse, or whatever and the logs turn into termite food.

That shoe also fits me.  I have probably ten 25"+ Red Oak trees on my farm that are standing dead.  Most are 40'+ to the first limb.  There is only so much that a person can do.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Red oak degradation due to the blasted bores!!!  They will however most likely at the very least,,make grade firewood!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

fishfighter

MM, a couple of the oaks that die this pass spring, went to saw and was a wasted time doing. Rot set in big time. :(

Bert

This is true. Plans do change. I do feel some awful when i see a tree go to waste though. I walked a job I cut a few years ago and saw a big hickory I cut that obviously missed skidding out. Man i felt bad for that old shagbark. smiley_cry
Saw you tomorrow!

flatrock58

MM I know what you mean.  It seems like most of the beetle killed pine on my place are not great trees to begin with.  They either have a lot of limbs or cat face scars all over or they are not very straight.   I cut a pine last week that had been down for 5 months.  I had it stacked on other logs off the ground.  It has not rained for two months and this log was really wet and stinky.  I guess leaving the bark on didn't let it dry out.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bkaimwood

Around here, dead red oak lasts a LONG time...as for the pine?...until recently, it was a tough gig, getting good pine, or having more than one or two uses for blue bullet pine. I've recently acquired a new client, who puts in a repetitive/standing order for 500 bf of pine every 4 weeks...ain't much, but it all adds up. My client specified that the more holes, the more blue, the better. I told them I know just where to find those logs...:)
bk

Magicman

Quote from: thecfarm on October 27, 2016, 06:37:58 PM
I see firewood.  ;D
But here there is and abundance of Red Oak and no real market for firewood.  I am the only person on my entire street (probably 40 homes) that burns wood and I "may" burn two face cords a year.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Quote from: Magicman on October 27, 2016, 02:50:43 PM
There is only so much that a person can do.   :-\

The cobbler's children have no shoes  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Lots of hardwood around here too. I went one winter without burning much hardwood. Mostly softwood keeps me warm. That is why I said firewood. The OWB does just fine with the softwood. I would like to see a truckload of pine dropped off outback for firewood for me.
Kinda like a low pitched roof around here. Don't see it much.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scully

Then there is the customers who want you to saw a pile of dead rotted worm infested junk .  One in paticular " I won't cut a live tree"  As I gaze through his huge very mature over grown forest .
I bleed orange  .

Magicman

That is very correct.  I sawed some "logs" this year that would not have made good firewood. 

Many times I am able to shuffle logs from someone that does not want/need them to someone that is looking for logs.  The logs are not moved, and the only thing that changes is the cut list and who is paying.   ;D

Ljohnsaw

OK, please educate me.  A guy posted free pine logs 2/3 of the way to my cabin.  Pictures shows a lot of logs.  Presumably beetle killed and PG&E (power company) had them taken down.  How long can a beetle killed tree be standing before it is no longer viable to turn into lumber?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

ozarkgem

Dead oak will last quite a while here also. I saw lots of it. I just can't keep up with the Oak dying on my place let alone anyone Else's. I see untold thousands of dollars rotting away. Makes me sick. I was logging Walnut on my place yesterday and saw several Red Oak 40" dia that just died. I have no way to handle them. What a waste.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

fishfighter

What's the deal on these oaks dying? This is the first year for them to be dying around here. The more I look, the more I am seeing. :o

Not just red oak, but other oaks. :(

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

customsawyer

Make sure they are dying and not going dormant due to dry conditions.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

johnsaw, Our climates and Pines are different, but I like to get to them the first year and no more than the second year.  Standing is the best "storage" method, rather than bunched and stacked.  After ~2 years I may have to slab off ~3"-4" to get below the pencil sized sawyer worm holes.  By then I am also looking closely at every log and discarding any that are not structurally sound.

Our bark tends to loosen and fall starting toward the top of the tree and generally clings to the bottom few feet and becoming a haven for termites.  Jump butting the lower 4'-6' is common practice.

Magicman

Here are some mighty fine Red Oak trees that went to termites.

Two Cherrybark Oaks that were struck by lightening.

A Water Oak and a Cherrybark Oak that decided to part company.

All four of the above pictured Oak trees were 40"+ and were unharvested due to my not being able to skid the logs nor able to get the sawmill to them.   :-\

But I did finally get around to splitting these rounds that have been waiting for over a year.  (My splitter was at the farm and the rounds were here.)  Anyway the discarded white sapwood is seen in the background.

And it will be enough for next years firewood supply.   This years supply is stacked in the background.  ;D

Magicman

I sawed for a repeat customer today.  Not only are trees and logs left to rot, but I saw some rotten lumber today that I sawed in 2006.

Cherry stacked on top of Red Oak.  I think that he forgot about this stack.

Framing lumber, 2X4's, 2X6's & 2X8's.  This was from beetle killed SYP.  He simply sawed more than he needed.

More Cherry.  This was left over after he completed his building addition.   :-\ 

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Magicman on October 31, 2016, 10:33:46 PM
I sawed for a repeat customer today.  Not only are trees and logs left to rot, but I saw some rotten lumber today that I sawed in 2006.
Well, certainly sad to see, but you still get/got paid! ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

That last pile looks like mine. I had some left over from the Woman Cave. Thought I was going to build a small sugar shack.  ::)  Maybe next year. Than next year I'll be saying,maybe next year.

Thank You Sponsors!