iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gloves

Started by Duke Santos, October 27, 2016, 06:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Santos

When you guys are handling wood, cutting, splitting , stacking and any other wood activity, do you wear gloves? I have gone without, but as I reach 50 years of age, my hands just can't take it. I got more cuts, punctures and scrapes than a man who wrestled a grizzly bear ! What do you guys use that gives you good protection and grip?

Thanks in advance hurt_smiley

Savannahdan

I've been using Harbor Freight gloves for a long time.  The store is just down the street from me and I buy them with their endless 20% coupons.  Bad thing is a lot of the gloves wind up having finger tips missing very quickly.  I've tried better and more expensive gloves but they don't seem to last much longer and generally cost 2x more.  Also, for some strange reason I always seem to have more right hand gloves than left hand gloves.  As to dexterity, I'm able to work with the nuts on my chainsaw for chain adjustments.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

hedgerow

Two years ago in June we went out west on a road trip and stopped in a Madsen's saw shop. I live in Nebraska so we don't have a good saw shop. I had seen reviews on the web about Atlas gloves. We cut and handle a lot of hard wood locust and hedge. Working on clearing a 160 acre pasture. I have a couple guys that help me. I am like you I am older now days and have done repair work most of my life and never used gloves when I was younger. Skin is weaker know days so I wear gloves a lot. We were just talking going over to cut wood Saturday and one of the crew said these Atlas gloves have really stood up two years plus later he is still using the original set. All three of us are still using the original sets. 

Duke Santos

Quote from: hedgerow on October 27, 2016, 09:09:14 AM
Two years ago in June we went out west on a road trip and stopped in a Madsen's saw shop. I live in Nebraska so we don't have a good saw shop. I had seen reviews on the web about Atlas gloves. We cut and handle a lot of hard wood locust and hedge. Working on clearing a 160 acre pasture. I have a couple guys that help me. I am like you I am older now days and have done repair work most of my life and never used gloves when I was younger. Skin is weaker know days so I wear gloves a lot. We were just talking going over to cut wood Saturday and one of the crew said these Atlas gloves have really stood up two years plus later he is still using the original set. All three of us are still using the original sets.

I'll check them out.. smiley_beertoast

WV Sawmiller

Duke,

I wear cheap work gloves all the time when sawing, milling and handling wood. I have tried pretty expensive ones and tear them up just about as quickly as the cheap ones. I also use the cheap Harbor Freight gloves and sometimes find decent ones at Flea Markets. I never pay more then $1/pair.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DDW_OR

here is another posting on gloves
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,91630.0/all.html

I have tried Obenaufs to extend glove life with good resultshttp://www.obenaufs.com/Heavy-Duty-LP-4-oz-p/heavy-duty-lp.htm

I usually have three types of gloves. general purpose, chainsaw, and cold weather.

this is why i have chainsaw gloves

"let the machines do the work"

coxy

:o :o how did you do that  :o :o               savannahdan   ill send you all my left hand gloves    are you taking all my right hand gloves or maybe I'm taking your left hand gloves  :D :D

Wallys World

I get a 3 pack at Home Depot. They are the red, yellow and gray ones pinned together for $9.99. They fit me very well and wear fairly good. I too used to not wear gloves but now my hands get beat up too fast not to wear them!
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Corley5

Last night I placed an order with Galeton for 2 dozen  cotton three layer hot mill gloves and two dozen cotton heavy duty string knit gloves.  I'm going to place an order with Comstock for some insulated Kincos.  They've got a good selection  8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Woodey

I've tried different types of gloves and keep going back to the Plainsman Leather Gloves from Sam's Club.
2 pair are $19.99, little pricey, but they hold up good and are comfortable to wear.
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

DDW_OR

Quote from: coxy on October 27, 2016, 05:56:54 PM
:o :o how did you do that  :o :o   ......

cutting a group of Madrona that had blown down.
standing on one of the logs and cutting another when the stump root ball broke.
landed feet first on the ground with the chainsaw RUNNING and coming down behind my back.
thankfully the chain brake had engaged.
only damage to me was two curs on the pointing finger of my left hand.
no stitches. bandage and a Popsicle stick to immobilize the finger while it healed.

finger has scars but i have full use of it.
THANK GOD.
"let the machines do the work"

Chop Shop

Go to the welding supply store and get some TIG welding gloves.  Thin deer skin and very tough.   Fit nice and you can start nuts and bolts and pick up a nail with them on.

Engineer

I use a cowhide leather glove from Wells Lamont that I get on Amaz*n.  They serve me for a season and then I start getting holes in various parts - usually fingertips or in the web between my thumb and index finger.  The Wells Lamont gloves are not really heavy enough for wood handling, but are too heavy for dexterity when using my chainsaw.  They are a reasonable compromise.  What I need to do is learn to switch gloves between tasks.  My problem is that I need an XL or XXL glove and it is really hard to find a good anti-vibe mechanic's glove (for saw use) in that size.  Even the XL ones in Home Depot do not fit my hand, I can't get the wristband over my palm.  I used to have a glove with an extended cuff, I think it was called White Mule or something similar, and it was nearly indestructible.  It was a perfect glove for firewood handling and I have never been able to find them again. 

sandman

Tillman 1490L TrueFit Super Premium Full Finger Top Grain Goatskin are my favorite summer gloves.

Tillman 1485M TrueFit Top Grain Pigskin winter gloves for when it starts to get cold

Tillman 1495M ULTRA TrueFit Top Grain Goatskin winter gloves for when its cold

They fit me well and tend to hold up better than any other glove I've tried.

jim

Thank You Sponsors!