iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

spalting box elder

Started by hackberry jake, October 26, 2016, 05:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I wrapped up some box elder in saran wrap about two months ago. Sprayed it with water and wrapped it up.Unwrapped it today and it looks pretty good. It was mainly just plain white boards with hardly any red in it. It looks more interesting now.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

sandsawmill14

cant wait for you to run 1 through the planer and see how it turns out ;D :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

69bronco

Magicman

Mildew yes, but in only two months I doubt much actual spalt.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Carson-saws

Looks like some real nice stuff.  I like B E...that blood red heart is attractive.  Have fun with it and can't wait to see what you do with it.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Ox

I bet a good skip planing would look nice.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Darrel

While I have no experience with Box Elder, I have done what you did with black oak and while it looked much like your lumber did in only a couple of months, it took a full year before the spalting went deep enough to still be there after planing.  By that time, the sap wood was pretty punky but the heart wood was still solid.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

WDH

Many of the hardwoods won't spalt in the heartwood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bkaimwood

Quote from: WDH on October 27, 2016, 04:04:44 PM
Thanks to the sawmill gods, there's old reliable... maple :)
bk

hackberry jake

I wish I had gotten some better pictures of the plane lumber before I wrapped it. There was a little bit of grayish blue stain already, but not nearas much as it has now. I'm going to be dissapointed if it all planes off.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

AlaskaLes

Quote from: bkaimwood on October 27, 2016, 07:13:11 PM
Quote from: WDH on October 27, 2016, 04:04:44 PM
Thanks to the sawmill gods, there's old reliable... maple :)

White Birch is also high on the Sawmill Gods Spalting List. 
I just cut it and leave it flat stacked for a few months or leave the log and cut it a year later...presto-change...Spalt!!!
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

AlaskaLes

Quote from: hackberry jake on October 27, 2016, 09:08:05 PM
I wish I had gotten some better pictures of the plane lumber before I wrapped it. There was a little bit of grayish blue stain already, but not nearas much as it has now. I'm going to be dissapointed if it all planes off.

Hurry up and plane some of that...We wanna see!!
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

YellowHammer

We have a decent amount of box elder here, but it doesn't have much red, so I never had any luck selling it.  I'm interested in how this turns out. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Den Socling

I wouldn't get too excited about that red spalt. Here is a pretty cookie. I just took this picture of the side that has been leaning against a wall.

Now look at the side that has been exposed to light.

Ox

Light kills spalt?  Interesting.  Well, I guess it makes sense...fungal critters like dark and moist.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

LeeB

Den, what are the billets for? Ball bats?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Den Socling

Ox, I'm sure the fungus was already dead. The light just faded the color.

LeeB, yes they will be baseball bats. Marucci Sports now has 5 of our kilns, Old Hickory has 2 and Louisville Slugger, Dove Tail Bat and Cooperstown Bat each have one. And still I'm asked to dry billets all of the time. Marucci alone dries around 17,700 billets per MONTH! How can the world use so many baseball bats? Also, I heard, every bat being used in the World Series this year was dried in one of our vac kilns.  8)

bkaimwood

Light kills the red streaks in box elder...it however, does not kill spalting in maple (despite being from the same family)....come to think of it, I can't think of any other North American species that carries this trait...it's beautiful and a bummer at the same time...certainly application specific...
bk

Den Socling

Here's a picture from when I dried this cookie. It was really bright and beautiful then. That was a couple/few years ago.

Ox

I've never seen anything like that around here.  Very nice.

LeeB

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the red in BE is not spalting. And it changes color just like the red in cedar, the yellow in osage, the darkness of cherry, ect, does due to UV light.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Glenn Ohman

Quote from: LeeB on November 03, 2016, 08:36:31 AM
the red in BE is not spalting.

Yup, generally speaking it is the trees response to stress and/or wounding.

Glenn

Den Socling

Yes, we have confused terms. The red color is in solid wood. Not spalt at all. Funny that we have been referring to it as spalting through this entire thread.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!