iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 460

Started by cbop, October 26, 2016, 01:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbop

First time posting... I have learned a lot here reading but I guess it is time I start talkin'..

A friend of my boss has a used 460 Rancher for sale. I haven't seen it yet because I am not sure I really need it but he says it runs well, I know the guy would have kept it well maintained. Comes with a 18" & 24" bar, case and several chains. He says $250 but said he is not firm on that and I think I can get him to take $200-$225.

The problem is that I already have an Echo 590 and a ProMac 610 so I am already set for 60cc saws. Now, I am not opposed to having more saws but I have thought of, at times, something smaller for light trimming and something larger for some of the bigger oaks I will take down. How big could I go with a 460 with a skip chain? Also, I have toyed with the idea of a chainsaw mill... would the 460 work in that role?

I am in the position of not needing it but possibly wanting it. Any suggestions?

coppice

Milling: no.  It has a plastic engine cradle and is not suited to hanging the weight of a mill off the bar or bar studs, depending on which mill brand you buy.  Probably won't like the heat exposure that extended milling cuts would expose it to, either.

In terms of bar, I would not go over 20", 24" with skip in a pinch.  It is not a very powerful saw.

Given that you can find solid running Husqvarna 66/266/268/272 for the price your guy is asking for a Husqvarna 460, I cannot fathom why you would buy that over one of the other Husqvarnas I mentioned. 

dougand3

^^^ agree. Why buy a clamshell when a pro built saw is about the same money?
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

cbop

Those sound like good reasons to pass on it.
Thank you, that is the reasoning I needed to hear

CTYank

You might want to look on VMInnovations website for current pricing on refurb 435 Husqy (40 cc), decent limbing saw. Prices there include shipping.
Another option: Dolmar 421- loved by many, pro quality.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

SawTroll

I can't see a single reason that you should "bite" on that offer, unless your current ones needs replacement - the Husky 460 isn't an attractive model.
Information collector.

John Mc

Quote from: SawTroll on October 27, 2016, 11:14:56 AM
I can't see a single reason that you should "bite" on that offer, unless your current ones needs replacement - the Husky 460 isn't an attractive model.

Agreed. A lot of extra weight for not all that much extra power as compared to the 450 (at least if you are staying with "landowner" saws).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!