iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spalted pine - need help convincing my wife to like the coloration!!

Started by DanMc, October 23, 2016, 10:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanMc

I milled up a white pine log and ended up with some nicely spalted grain, and I can see that other logs I will be milling are the same.  It is my intent to use this lumber as flooring in our cabin.  I think it will be beautiful.  Now I know my wife as we have been together for over 30 years.  Here's what she's going to say:  "It's ugly.  I hate it."  That's always her initial reaction to something that's new. 

Here's the question:  How do I convince her instead to say "I love it." 

On the other hand, do you think I'm wrong in saying this will make neat flooring for a cottage?  If you guys say "I hate it", then I'm more inclined to listen. 

LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

YellowHammer

Blue stain pine is a very good selling product for us, and in relatively high demand.
Here's an active thread on the subject
I sell these slabs for about $70 to $100 each. 

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,90970.0.html

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

I would call what I see blue stain rather than spalt.

That is what I used on both the floors and walls on my Cabin Addition.

"She" was well pleased after the walls were white washed (pickled) and the floors stained.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kensfarm

Magic.. I like the looks of it before the white wash & stain..

...but you gotta please the Mrs.   ;D

LeeB

Quote from: DanMc on October 23, 2016, 10:34:32 PM

Tell her you thought about using it for flooring but decided you didn't like the way it looks.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Peter Drouin

I can't sell the stuff, No one wants it. good luck with her. ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Kbeitz

Don't sat anything... When she says something say... What??? That the way all wood looks.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

Give it the new name:  DENIM PINE!

I've had customers in my area actually go nuts over the looks of it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ellmoe

Quote from: Chuck White on October 24, 2016, 06:43:57 AM
Give it the new name:  DENIM PINE!

That would be like calling your home made soda "Coca-cola", so be careful with its use. I believe that name was trademarked years ago.  ;D   A very good and Marketable name it is, though.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Carson-saws

WOW...all of these are...to me anyway...perfect examples of "cabin flooring"...I like the rustic appeal....and if that is what you are after well....don't have to wait for it to get that aged look or wear look...I personally like the look alot...and...after you put the floor in...start a fire in your fireplace....get some steaks on the grill....some fresh wild flowers...and delight your wife with an evening of a romantic dinner in your cabin...and after dinner as you walk to the frount pourch..the feel of that fllor perhaps a creak or 2 setting the tone for the rest of your evening on your pourch letting her know she is with the man that adores her every essence...........and if that doesn't work....put in Oak and call it a day... ;D
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Ox

Tell her it sells for triple price because it's "denim pine".  Then she'll want it because it's expensive and makes her feel better about things...
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

alanh

Quote from: LeeB on October 23, 2016, 11:13:10 PM
Quote from: DanMc on October 23, 2016, 10:34:32 PM

Tell her you thought about using it for flooring but decided you didn't like the way it looks.  :D
I like this one, that`s exactly what would work at my house.....

rl

I have been calling blue stain  [denim pine]  for a long time, elmoe where and when was that name trademarked.. real interested in story......my customers who have not heard the name think its neat
rl

OffGrid973

Denim Pine sounds like a great selling point.  Now what level of stain is required to consider it officially denim. If this doesn't pass i have some "organic denim pine" down the road that has been aging directly on the lawn for a year or so.

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OffGrid973

Great explanation, I think they left out old wine boxes in the definition 😜
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

muggs

I put wood like that on my dining room wall. It was in the 1970s. I bought it at the lumber yard, I believe it was called Brooks wood.    Muggs

Brian C.

Always thought it was just blue stain and scrollsawers love as well as intarsia people. They pay big for it.

Nomad

Quote from: Magicman on October 24, 2016, 05:02:31 PM
It may not be something to be concerned about:  Denim Pine Trademark

I had heard the same thing; that it was a trademarked name.  But I looked up "trademark denim pine" and came up with essentially the same answer Lynn did.  I don't think it's an issue.

It's a look some people like and some don't.  I've got one regular customer who went from "No, I don't want any of that" to "How long do I have to let the logs lay before it turns to that?"
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

ellmoe

Quote from: Magicman on October 24, 2016, 05:02:31 PM
It may not be something to be concerned about:  Denim Pine Trademark

I started selling "blue pine" about 15 years ago, during that time I ran into the trademark issue. My memory said that it was a company in the U.S. mountain west, but , perhaps it was this group. If so, it looks like it is open for use.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Magicman

A sawyer South of Ponca City, OK claimed that he had a Denim Pine trademark, but I cannot find any evidence of it.  Maye he figured that no one would challenge his claim.

Ox

Trademark, shmademark.  Around here that don't matter.
Maybe just call it blue pine and move on?
I'll still call it denim pine.  Milled a little of it a few weeks ago.  When it's dry it's going on my walls as paneling.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

DanMc

I broached the topic with my wife last night.  I told her that this pine that I milled is very special because of the coloration in it, and that some people call it "denim pine."  I added that it's more expensive if you have to go out and buy it.  She didn't say much.

I'm not sure what that means. 

I know this much:  She hates the vinyl flooring in the cabin now, so I have that going for me.  I can just put it plainly as a last resort:  We can keep the ugly vinyl, or go with the denim pine.  She'll go with the pine. 

Hopefully she doesn't go digging around on the web and find this thread.  I just know this much, I love her so much, I'll just do whatever pleases her.   ;)

Oh, by the way, on the issue of trademarks:  Anybody can put a TM after their product without filing any papers and that has no legal bearing whatsoever.  If they file a registration with the US Patent Office, then they have to fight with them to get it assigned, then they can put the R in the little circle if they get the grant, and then they have to be ready to spend cash on suing anybody that infringes.  It's really ugly.  In this case, a registration was filed way back in 2002 for the name "Natural Denim Pine."  They fought with the USPTO for 7 years.  In 2009 they apparently gave up on it, as the filing is listed as abandoned.  https://trademarks.justia.com/764/26/natural-denim-pine-76426817.html I feel sorry for them because they could have spent upwards of $20K on this with attorneys fees. 

So guess what I milled this weekend?  Genuine Natural Denim Pine, Natural Denim Pine,Natural Denim Pine,Natural Denim Pine,Natural Denim Pine,Natural Denim Pine,Natural Denim Pine,Natural Denim Pine,Natural Denim Pine,Natural Denim Pine,Natural Denim Pine.

LT35HDG25
Jesus is Lord.

Carson-saws

Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

ChugiakTinkerer

At least half of every tree is Shade Grown as well.  :laugh:
Woodland Mills HM130

Evergreen Man

I've never used pine on a floor, but I love the stained pine on walls!
I used to think I was crazy, then I realized: I'm the only normal one.

Glenn Ohman

Quote from: Magicman on October 23, 2016, 10:58:09 PM
I would call what I see blue stain rather than spalt.

To get technical, blue stain is indeed a form of spalting. Spalting is simply color occurring inside wood that is caused by fungi.

Glenn

goose63

How long do the log's have to sit befor you get this denim look you speak of :)

I have four load's of pine comeing next week and i would like to get that look in some of then :snowball:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

I see two different blues.  One from mildew on dead or improperly stacked lumber.  The other from beetle deposited fungus that is there before the tree is felled.  The latter to me is much more colorful.

Pine normally does not have the fungi lines that is seen in hardwood.

Glenn Ohman

Quote from: Magicman on November 03, 2016, 02:08:09 PM
Pine normally does not have the fungi lines that is seen in hardwood.

Sorry if I'm getting annoying but I think it's important to use correct terminology/I like to get nerdy when it comes to wood science.

The fungi lines are called zones lines and are created when two different kinds of fungi (or a fungi that no longer recognizes itself) allocate resources, i.e. build a wall between themselves.

Zone lines, popularized by Mark Linguest in the 1970's, are just one of many flavors of splating.

Interestingly enough, blue-green stain wood is one of the earliest documented uses of splated wood, dating back to intarsia masters of the late 13th century.

Glenn 

Magicman

You haven't annoyed me. 

If I am less than "educated" then so be it.  If I sometimes use my own terminology, then so be it.   LINK

tmarch

When I have it it's not "blue stain" or "spalted" it's very special denim pine and if there's more needed it becomes very valuable denim pine. :o
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

DanMc

Quote from: goose63 on November 03, 2016, 01:55:08 PM
How long do the log's have to sit befor you get this denim look you speak of :)

I have four load's of pine comeing next week and i would like to get that look in some of then :snowball:

Goose,  All I know is that I cut all my logs this summer and the white pines are all blue'd.  They all have a significant population of worms drilling holes in them and it's a great deal of pleasure to cut them in half.  In my case, these logs have sat for no more than a few months.  They were cut some time maybe in June or July and were milled in Oct.  I had been warned by some people about the bugs burrowing into the wood if the logs are not promptly milled, and was shocked that it happened so quickly.  I'm not sure if you need warmer temps for this to happen, but I could see the staining from the ends of the logs before they were milled. 
LT35HDG25
Jesus is Lord.

Thank You Sponsors!