I miss my firewoodinator.

Started by Tam-i-am, October 23, 2016, 09:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

Yes, it is that time of year again when we split our firewood.  I own a Firewoodinator and the new prototype improved firewoodinator except I can't use either of them as my kid has borrowed one and never returned it and a friend has borrowed the new one.  This leaves me with a hydraulic splitter with a 4 way wedge and lift.  It was the worst hour of my splitting experience!!!  The lift doesn't line up with the opening on the I beam.  Thus results in a lot of manipulating the piece into the right area.  To make matters worse the tires are inconveniently located right where you would want to position yourself.  If you squeeze yourself in and around the tire you end up tripping over the tire as you work.  And the obvious problem - it is low and you are bending over a lot!!!

I can't wait to get one of my firewoodinator back as I will be able to split twice as much wood in the same amount of time with a lot less headaches!

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Gearbox

I feel for you . When I put the new engine in my Bobcat I hooked the ammeter up backwards now it shows discharge when charging . I tell people who want to borrow it  it  won't charge . Worked so far .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Tam-i-am

Here are the pics I received bragging about the work he could do with my equipment.

John Mc

New prototype improved Firewoodinator? Did I miss something? When will details be coming out? I was trying to convince a couple of friends to go in on one of the older style ones with me, but they were discontinued. If they are coming back, I'll start working on my friends again.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Tam-i-am

John

It has been in the works for quite some time.  The original thought was to create a system that anyone with a splitter could plop it into, quick connect and be splitting wood more ergonomically.  I believe Kevin is now leaning toward selling it all complete.  His plans are for both an hydraulic splitter model and kinetic splitter model.

The new improved unit has a much better lift.  As it is bigger and holds rounds better than the last one.  It is hydraulic.  So it either runs off the splitter directly or electro-hydraulic.

Sorry I don't have a time frame just yet.

DR_Buck

Will the new lift be retrofitable to the older model?     ???
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Tam-i-am

Dave

it is much wider so I don't think so but I'll ask Kevin to find a way for you. ;)

DR_Buck

Quote from: Tamiam on November 11, 2016, 07:01:16 AM
Dave

it is much wider so I don't think so but I'll ask Kevin to find a way for you. ;)

It looks like Kevin changed the design quite a bit also.  The lift appears to be on the opposite (back) end where the splitter was.   

Or maybe he just screwed up and put the top on backward? 
    :D

John Mc

Videos or more pics of the new design?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Tam-i-am

Nope the lift is in the exact same spot.

As soon as kevin gives me the ok I will post some pics

DR_Buck

Quote from: Tamiam on November 11, 2016, 02:37:47 PM
Nope the lift is in the exact same spot.

I can't be in the same spot.   I see tail lights under the lift.   My taillights are on the splitter end of the unit.   My lift is on the end where the hitch goes.

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Tam-i-am

Dave

from an aerial view it looks like the same spot ;D
So he didn't move the lift, he moved the direction it pulls because of the stuff to operate the lift.  :D

DR_Buck

Today I set up my Woodinator for the first time since last season.   It fired right up and worked like a champ.

Got everything arranged and in place to start "processing"   ;D

Here are a couple of the log piles I need to get done.

I ran until I used a full tank of gas in the processor.   I think it was about 5 hours, then it started to rain.   I ended up filling 5 of my firewood baskets and a good start on a pile.

This is the mess I created.  I'm guessing it will be even more when I'm finished.    :)

I still have a lot of my logs left that I plan on doing tomorrow if the temperature doesn't drop too far.   I probably would have put a bigger dent in the log piles if I hadn't gotten sidetracked on the cedar.   I had 3 fairly large cedar trees laying in my way and they needed to be gone so I limbed them and through them up on the Woodinator. 

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Tam-i-am

Dave

We need a like button so you know I read it and appreciate your post without having to say anything.

Do you run it all by yourself?  We tend to run it with at least 2 people: 1 to buck and 1 to split.   Then we make the boys stack it in the shed when they have time.

Tammy

DR_Buck

Quote from: Tamiam on November 20, 2016, 08:22:51 AM
Dave

We need a like button so you know I read it and appreciate your post without having to say anything.

Do you run it all by yourself?  We tend to run it with at least 2 people: 1 to buck and 1 to split.   Then we make the boys stack it in the shed when they have time.

Tammy

I can't help with the "like" button.  That's Jeff's job.     ;D

I normally run it myself.   Kitty does help when we use the Logrite trailer or Gator to move splt stuff.  She loads them and takes the split wood to where it needs to be dumped.   

We don't "stack" firewood any more.  Too much wasted time.  We just dump it.   Besides, we don't have "boys".  Our kids are all gone and hardly ever come around when we do firewood.   Kris, our daughter helps sometimes, but only when she wants a load of wood.   :)

Gearbox

DR-BUCK I like what you said about kid s . We have 9 grand kids only one will help and he thinks he is worth $ 10 an hour . One son will help when he is off . So I built the processer so we could do it by my self . Tamiam If you were closer you could use mine . I would even pull it out of the 15 inches of snow we got yesterday .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

John Mc

Quote from: Gearbox on November 20, 2016, 10:26:27 AMWe have 9 grand kids only one will help and he thinks he is worth $ 10 an hour

If he's a steady worker, he likely wouldn't have trouble making that around here.

Tam-i-am

Since my boys still live here they have to work or they don't have hot showers! :D :D :D

We have our firewoodinator back now.  We did about 4 cords the other day.  We had 5 people working on it though.  It is great to have help!!!!

Gearbox

He works ok but would rather play cards with Grandma . Works good at his job at least he shows up and gets paid . When he was about 13 he was helping cord dry wood . He would grab a 6 inch red oak and pile then he would grab a 10 inch dry Basswood and grunt like it was heavy .

John Mc

Quote from: Tamiam on November 20, 2016, 07:28:44 PM
Since my boys still I've here they have to work or they don't have hot showers! :D :D :D

We have our firewoodinator back now.  We did about 4 cords the other day.  We had 5 people working on it though.  It is great to have help!!!!

What, no video?

John Mc

Any word on when the new version is coming out?

John Mc

Quote from: John Mc on May 07, 2017, 08:12:12 PM
Any word on when the new version is coming out?

Still wondering about this, Tammy. Any word, or more info on the Firewoodinator.

Tam-i-am

Sorry, no news on a new firewoodinator at this time.