iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hanover forwarder info?

Started by logman81, October 23, 2016, 12:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Been thinking about maybe going to a forwarder lately from my mini skidder. More and more land owners only want forwarders  on thier land so i have been thinking about making the switch. I found a small Hanover d4 single bunk forwarder for sale for a reasonable price and wanted to know more about them if anyone knew about them.
Precision Firewood & Logging

logman81

Any insight to if a forwarder like this could replace my mini skidder?

logman81

Does anyone hand cut with a small forwarder?

bushmechanic

The Hanovers that were around my area were double bunk machines with flotation tires. Looked like they were made mostly with John Deere components. I have used single bunk 230D Timberjack's and C5D Tree Farmers, personally I prefer forwarder's to skidders, no heavy lifting and when it's in the rack it's always cleaner than dragging.

logman81

Thanks for some insight bushmechanic i read somewhere that they were mad by Ranger but im not sure that is true or not.

logman81

Does anyone else have some input it?

logman81

Well ive got some info on it from the owner. The motor was rebuilt less than a thousand hours ago, has new hydraulic pump and rotobec grapple. Needs master cylinder for breaks to work shouldn't be hard to fix and has a drip or two allso easy fix if its just hoses. Ive got a few guys really interested in my gafner mini skidder so hopefully things will happen quickly.

BurkettvilleBob

Was this the forwarder that was on Craigslist last spring/early summer for around 15k? Sounds similar, no brakes and a couple leaks, looked like a decent deal to me, but what do I know.

logman81

BurkettvilleBob

Yeah, I found it on CL again. If I were you if hop on it, just because it would be so handy.   I could use one for picking rocks, moving lumber, I beams, brush piles, random heavy things and if course logging. If it's got a rebuilt engine and new hydro pump, seems like a sweet rig.

Riwaka

Hanover was purchased by Allied Systems in 1996 and it appears Allied Systems made a Ranger forwarder.
http://www.alliedsystems.com/News/lufkin.htm

http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/programs/forest_mgmt/saleprep/smallwood/Forwarders.pdf

You might want to look up how many parts are available for the Hanover before you need to go 3D metal printing replacement parts.

What are the other options? Get a log trailer with a grapple crane/ stabiliser legs and pull that with a logging 4wd  tractor that you can use for other jobs - snow blowing, trailer hauling etc. or a small log trailer with atv or pickup.

If you had the work and the dollars something modern might be better long term.
http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/12291627/2006-deere-1010d

How far do you think the landowners will go eventually? Preference given to 'amish style' logging  crews with horses and cart and suggest trees are cutdown with hand saws and axes and no fossil fuel to be used on their land.

logman81

I am going to do my very best to get the forwarder seems to me like a good deal and like you said their are lots of other uses for it.
One thing to make it even better would be to put plexiglass in the cab and a small Heater for the winter.
As far as a logging tractor I've been down that road and would never do it again. I have no other use for a tractor and to me the forwarder would be much better. Thank you for the info so far its been a big help. Parts i dont think will be any more difficult to find then they are for my gafner skidder. What cant be found can be made by a fabrication shop or good machine shop.

BurkettvilleBob

Yeah buddy, I hope it works out. What does a Gafner skidder look like?

Gearbox

I think if you can keep the skidder to and use it to pull the trees out to where you can buck them . May be better than trying to get the forwarder beside the tree . Just my 2 cents it's not my money .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

logman81

No the forwarder will be just fine by itself. Being a short wheel base it will get around the woods well

logman81

Anyone have an idea what the loader will lift?

BargeMonkey

Quote from: logman81 on October 30, 2016, 05:16:18 AM
Anyone have an idea what the loader will lift?
Loader will probably lift 3-4000 lbs up close, the machine will tip before the loader says no more if the hydraulics are functioning properly. The rotobec bucket is a little nicer, inside that head are 2x wire wrapped hoses and a 2x banjo swivel fitting, I would keep one on hand because they always go on a Friday. You can probably get 2+ good cord on that. I would find a set of ice chains for the front, they help slow you down, a good load on and a little ice / snow / downgrade on a well worn trail and it's quite the ride when she takes off.

logman81

Thanks for the reply bardgemonkey that should be plenty of lift capacity. And also a good tip on keeping some spare parts on hand for it. Im really hoping it will all we out for me and i can make the switch.

logman81

Im planning to go look at it tomorrow and was wondering if thier is anything i should pay particular attention to on a forwarder other than the normal stuff like tires, pins bushings ect.

BargeMonkey

Mine was a partial train wreck when I bought it, at that time it was what I could afford and I spent alot of nights in my shop going thru it, doesn't matter how close you look when you first buy it your going to find stuff after the fact.
Load it right up and make sure you have enough power, mine has a 353 and I regret not doing a 4BTA conversation when I had the chance.
Check your driveline, forwarders are hard on u-joints and shafts. Welds in odd places, see if the bunks have been broken off it before.
Hoses are the big killer, 3/4 of the hose on my boom was toast, find a spot to mount a toolbox and carry a pile of wrenches and a few spare hoses.

barbender

Does that machine have straight hydraulic, pilot operated, or electric over hydraulic controls? The electronic controls on some older forwarders are impossible to get parts for.
Too many irons in the fire

logman81

I would imagine its old school controls.

thecfarm

I looked up Hanover forwarders. Found a couple diffeant styles. Going to take a picture for us??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logman81

I havnt been able to go look at it yet, still trying to line up a buyer for my skidder.

Thank You Sponsors!