iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

poplar question

Started by xlogger, October 23, 2016, 06:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

Some poplars have the dark streak in the center of the log and others are white all the way threw. Is there anyway to tell before you cut the tree? Is the dark from minerals in the soil?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

OneWithWood

Any sign of damage to the tree might suggest dark streaks for water and contaminants.  I don't think you can predict mineral stain unless you have cut in close proximity and found the stain.
I have cut a lot of tulip poplar (yellow poplar) and have yet to see one white all the way through.  The heart is usually green or occasionally purple to red.
Aspen can be white all the way through.  Could you be referring to Aspen?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

xlogger

I should of said with a wide dark area in middle of the log. I do see some lighter dark that I've cut. Yes tulip poplar.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

The heartwood of yellow poplar is usually green, but it can be multicolored with black, purple, vermilion, etc.  Many refer to this as "rainbow poplar".  What is the color of the wide dark area in the middle of the log?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

xlogger

I saw one this weekend up in the Mts of NC that looked like walnut inside with a wide sapwood on the edges. Looked really nice.

xlogger

I've not saw much poplar and looked at a few boards that I saw a few months ago at a customers place. I guess I should of ask how to tell if the center area is real dark, my boards where light brown in the center but the one I looked at looked just like walnut in the center it was so dark.

sandsawmill14

it couldnt have been cottonwood could it ??? they are easy to confuse and the cottonwood will be that dark brown alot of the time but the smell should tell you the difference :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

xlogger

He said poplar and it looked like poplar after looking closely. It was cut near the NC/TN line, I'm not sure if I've seen a cottonwood around here. If I did maybe I didn't know what I was looking at.

sandsawmill14

here is a couple of pics of cottonwood

i thought i had a pic of the lumber but i didnt see it in my gallery ::)
cottonwood is in the poplar family and are easy to confuse if you are not use to seeing both :)

Seaman

Come by and see me next time you are up !
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

xlogger

I came right threw your area Frank, if I would of had your # I would of called. You know the guy I was looking at the slabs, Martin in Hendersonville.

sandsawmill14

here is a pic a some cottonwood lumber i cut yesterday 

it is not as dark as some but i think you can get an idea :)
does the dark poplar you were sawing have purple streaks in it ???

xlogger

What little poplar I've saw up was just light brown in the center. I found a large poplar yesterday that I might get and cut into slabs to see how it turns out.

Thank You Sponsors!