iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The new Farm House

Started by Coffee_Creek, October 21, 2016, 09:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coffee_Creek

Hi,
I thought I'd document our up coming adventure. This will be an on going post for the next 9-12 months. Building our new home on the farm.
When my wife and I married 17 years ago we had both had just built a new house in Alabama. Shortly after we decided to a total career change working for a major construction company as Superintendents and move from job to job all across the U.S., so, we sold both of our homes, loaded up the truck and moved to berverly ( Washington State), we've worked and lived in quite a few differant states in the last 17 years. About 8 years ago we decided to buy our retirement home, we found a nice little 45 acre farm right across the street from her sister and BIL.
I've been looking forward to retirement for a couple of years now, my wife was even getting on board with me retiring while she kept working. While working and living in Santa Fe NM, we returned to Alabama for my daughters graduation from college, the evening before her graduation I had a stroke. We both agreed that retirement would be NOW.
Back to the build, the current house on the farm was pieced together with a free standing metal over the entire structure including a 30'x36' carport. I enclosed the carport for a work shop and plan to demo the rest of the current house after the new one is completed and make all of it into shop space.
I've started clearing trees where the new house will be and select cutting other trees, I plan to have it milled by a local guy and moulder next summer and make all of our moulding and flooring. We'll hire a contractor to do the building.
I'll update weekly with photo's, this was enough typing to last me for a long time......

Magicman

I wish you the very best with your retirement and building plans.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

Sure is funny how hard you "retireries" work  :)  Best of luck on the build, I'm sure it will be a lot of fun for you both.

thecfarm

I am on the retire early and do it boat. You just never know.
My Father retired as soon as he could. It was enjoyabale to watch him retire.  ;D
I hope to watch myself too.
Keep the posts and pictures coming.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Coffee_Creek

When we bought this place about 8-9 years ago the owner explained how it was first set up, a 14'x40' construction building was moved in and a block foundation was put under it, then he poured a concrete pad behind it the same size, the part that was moved in was made in to a kitchen, living room and main bath, then he built two bedrooms, laundry room and bath on the new pad, off of one end he continued the concrete another 38', this gave it a 28'x38' carport, he then put steel columns on each side with beams spanning full length of it all. When my wife and I first looked at it she asked me what I thought about the house, I told her it will make a very nice shop one day.

Coffee_Creek

The first thing we did was build a nice deck over looking the lake, since we were working out of state and knew we would not live here for 5-10 years, my daughter sold her house that she hated and her and her family moved in the house, sold their other one and started saving up to buy land and build, my BIL use the pastures to rotate his cows.

Coffee_Creek

We were working in Kentucky for three years prior to being relocated to New Mexico, while in Kentucky I started buying the equipment I wanted to have on the fram when I retired, I purchased a new tractor with all kinds og implements. When we were told in 2014 that we would be transferred to New Mexico within the next year I knew I needed to enclose the carport at the farm house so I would have a place to store equipment. So, during Thanksgiving 2014 we took a week off and headed to the farm.

Coffee_Creek

I'm kinda getting ahead of the thread but, my first load of logs to lumber off of the farm. Clearing where to build site is and select cutting for hardwood floors and moulding.

This guy is just a couple of miles down the road, his wife is his helper, works her butt off, and they great work at a very fair price and can cut up to 32'.....

samandothers

What are your plans to dry the wood?  Will you kiln dry and then machine your flooring and moulding?

Great tread. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Coffee_Creek

I plan to spend the next few weeks felling all the trees that I want cut, haul all the logs to the mill to be sawn and stack all the lumber in my pole barn until next spring/summer, then have kiln dried as needed for making our own flooring, moulding and trim. I'm looking at buying a Woodmaster 725.

Czech_Made

Coffee_Creek

After we enclosed the carport in Nov 2014 and made it into a storage garage we  stayed on the road working, KY and NM. When I retired in April of this year I started getting the house ready to turn into a shop and preparing the build site for the new house about 200 yards behind the current house, it on a flat spot up on a hill over looking the lake and creek.
The next thing I needed though was to get electrical into the new garage, the wiring in house was provided off of a power pole 75' from the house, one like you put in for a mobile home, he had went to the original fist part of the house with 100 amp and another 100 amp to the second part he built on, this left me with no way to get the electrical power I would need the the new garage/shop, so, I installed a new 200 amp panel in the new shop, dug up the two 100 amp lines going to the old power pole, had the Power company pull up the old power pole set a new pole, splice the wires and tie in to my new weather head. This will allow me to easily remove both of the old 100 amp lines when I'm ready the demo the old house and allow me to add all the circuits I currently need in my shop. Including a circuit for my mini split unit.

New pole going in next to old pole....

New pole installed, wires spliced and old pole removed.....

New service lines tied in at the new weather head....

Mini split unit hooked up and running, it sure is nice to have a little ac in the shop with it being July and 97 degrees.

dukndog

Great thread!!
Nice looking RV in your avatar as well!! RV-6 or -8?

Rich Miller
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

rjwoelk

That is quite the trencher for the frontend loader. I'd say handier than pockets in underware.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Carson-saws

Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Coffee_Creek

Quote from: dukndog on November 04, 2016, 11:15:04 AM
Great thread!!
Nice looking RV in your avatar as well!! RV-6 or -8?

Rich Miller

RV-9A
3.5 years build time.....

Coffee_Creek

With all the odds and ends done during the hot weather of summer, I was ready to start felling trees as soon as the weather cooled off. I started by cutting the trees that are where the new house will sit and the surrounding trees that concern me such as pine and poplar. I'll also be cutting all the pine and poplar off of the rest of our 45 acres. Most of our land is thick with trees with 90 percent being hardwood, so, cutting all the pine and poplar will never be noticed.
My BIL had severl  thousand board feet of lumber in my pole barn for the last 5 years, we relocated his lumber to his place, cleaned out my barn, built my drying racks and started felling trees, hauling logs to the mill, and hauling lumber back and stacking it in the barn, sure is a good feeling seeing my barn being loaded up with my lumber that came from my trees. I already posted a pic of the first load, here is a few moreshowing where we're at now....

This is where my BIL's lumber was stacked....

Coffee_Creek

This is what I decided to build for my drying racks....

Built with 2"x6", supported with blocks and wedges every 5' in every direction....

Coffee_Creek

Coffee_Creek

Built another rack on the Southeast side of the barn.

Coffee_Creek

Another load unloaded.......
First load was 1200 bf
Second load was 900 bf.....

Coffee_Creek

Each board loaded onto the forks, blown off with leaf blower then sprayed with Tim-Bor, flipped over as being stacked and sprayed the other. side, looks like one 5 gallon bucket of Tim-Bor will spray 2000 bf.......

Coffee_Creek

Took some time off from cutting, hauling and stacking to set the deer feeder and camera up.
He is a proud looking little fellow or what, he thinks he is a stud.

Coffee_Creek

It's been a while since I've posted but we're still moving forward with the new house build, trying to get concrete mason's, rock/block mason's, framing crew, electrical, plumbing and excavating all lined up, should be ready to continue in three or four weeks, in the mean time I've been enjoying the new addition to my toys, Kubota SVL-95S2 with cab AC and heat, this thing is a beast!!!!!!!!

Skip

Truly a fine lookin spread , Enjoy !

samandothers

Yep if I was closer I'd be glad to borrow that!   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!