iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine bench

Started by lowpolyjoe, October 21, 2016, 08:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

Finished this bench the other day.  It's based on a Paul Sellers design.  Built mostly using hand tools.

Frustratingly,  someone just pointed out to me that the legs are too far in from the ends and if you sit on the edge of the bench it will flip.  I might end up cutting off about half of the overhang on each side for safety.  I may build another out of something nicer than pine - i'll either space the legs further or tilt them

LAZERDAN

Just run a gusset on the outside of each leg, that matches your leg. No tipping.  You would have 3 points of contact then.        Lazerdan

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

lowpolyjoe

LAZERDAN - I was considering adding some sort of outrigger arm thing on the legs.  My main worry is that i'll end up with 6 total points of contact.  This bench will reside outside, maybe on uneven ground...  getting 4 points level is hard enough.   With 6 points I can see it being a huge pain to have all the legs firmly in contact with the ground.   Also gonna be faster and easier to chop off a few inches  :).   

POSTON - I missed the origin of the running $300 joke but I've seen it lurking in a lot of threads :D.   I'm considering building a bunch of these and trying to sell them.  Gotta refine the design to fix the flip issue first.  Unfortunately, tilting the legs will probably require changing the joint used to join the legs to the top... it's currently a sliding dovetail but it'll probably have to change to a standard dado, not as fun.  Or I can just put the legs very near the ends, which will probably not look as nice

I just bought some Epifanes varnish - I read a lot of recommendations to use that for any outdoor furniture. 

Darrel

That is one nice looking bench sir.  I'm almost sinister enough to just leave the bench as is and sit back for the show!  (Note I say almost)  That would be worth the $301 right there.

Seriously though, I think cutting the ends off would be easy, safe, and would not have too much of a negative effect on the aesthetics. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

lowpolyjoe

Thanks Darrel  :)

My wife wanted me to leave it as-is, but I cut it down yesterday. Don't have any pics at the moment.  It definitely doesn't look as nice with the stubby ends, but this way it's very difficult to tip - you have to be deliberately trying.

It rained all day yesterday.   Today it's pretty dry so I might try to apply the varnish I have - it'll be my first experience with the stuff.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do to prevent the legs wicking up moisture?  I was thinking the varnish might not be enough if it ends up on dirt.  I thought maybe I'd dunk the feed in epoxy or something.

LeeB

I've heard epoxy but never tried it myself.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

thecfarm

I saw the up end happen a few times in a movie.
I wonder if you could puy a piece of metal on the bottom of each leg?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

CHARLIE

Well, here is what I've done but I've never checked to see how well it works.....but I don't see why it wouldn't.

I make a 50:50 solution of water and Titebond III waterproof glue.  I then soak the endgrain until it rejects anymore. Then I let it thoroughly dry.  My thought is that the endgrain is now full of waterproof glue.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Kbeitz

Quote from: lowpolyjoe on October 23, 2016, 07:48:08 AM
Thanks Darrel  :)

My wife wanted me to leave it as-is, but I cut it down yesterday. Don't have any pics at the moment.  It definitely doesn't look as nice with the stubby ends, but this way it's very difficult to tip - you have to be deliberately trying.

It rained all day yesterday.   Today it's pretty dry so I might try to apply the varnish I have - it'll be my first experience with the stuff.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do to prevent the legs wicking up moisture?  I was thinking the varnish might not be enough if it ends up on dirt.  I thought maybe I'd dunk the feed in epoxy or something.

50/50 diesel and roofing tar. Works great.

This gazebo was made over 20 years ago with soft pine.
shows no sign of rotting yet.
First picture was when it was made second picture was just taken.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!