iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What zit gonna be?

Started by Jeff, October 21, 2016, 02:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

I've got a little more to do.  If you look on the model t driveshaft, you can see where a guy could bolt something on. My plan is to find something among my junk to make a cooling reservoir that comes up to keep parts cool in as you grind.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

You really like having a building.   :)  Lucky you.
I would suspect most of your welding will be done inside.
I took a 2 wheel dolly,and built a box right on it. About 2 feet wide,4 feet tall and maybe a foot deep. The welder is on the bottom,along with welded bolts to the bottom.One is for my grinding wheels and one is for my metal cutting blades. I did build one draw and keep my tips and wrenches for the grinder in there. I have a place for my clamping tools and have a bunch of corded wire wrapped up on the back. I forgot how much is there now,but it said it in the owner's manual how long. The corded wire was not cheap,but it was worth it. And then some. I just unwrap what I need.
That is one of many projects you will build. Every grown up boy needs a welder.
I use to get alot of short pieces of metal at my other job. My wife calls it junk,until she wants something built and I just go out back and look through the junk and build it for her. Than it's not junk anymore.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Another stand built by Jeff-Rite.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Brucer

I "learned" to weld in a night school course back in 1972. I haven't improved since. That's why everything I weld gets painted with flat black zinc-rich paint ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

kensfarm

Jeff I have to ask.. what is that blue wheeled machine behind your new grinder table.  I think you could also use it as a mini welder table too.. nice first project.

Jeff

That would be my unitractor that we got out of a field down to Bro Nobles place that I restored many years ago now.

sandsawmill14

jeff if you need another project i built a pantograph like on a sawmill carriage and put long leads on my welder now i can weld anywhere in the shop and about a 30' sweep outside the front door ;D

the cables are off of it right now  because i had to take welder out side to weld some out of reach of my cables and havent put them back up yet ::) sorry about the pics i couldnt figure out how to position the arm where i could get it all in the pic :-\ and please ignore the mess i dont keep as clean of a shop as i should :-[ ;D :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

David Freed

I missed out on the guessing, but that's a pretty useful project.

Quote from: Jeff on October 21, 2016, 02:55:38 PM
.......in my junk pile.
It's only junk to other people. To those of us that have piles like that, it's "stored building materials".  smiley_thumbsup

LeeB

Women are born with a basic defect that doesn't allow them to understand that a man has to have an as yet net assigned a project raw materials stock pile.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Roxie

Truer words were never spoken, Lee.   :)
Say when

thecfarm

sandsawmill14.I had forgot about that. Good idea!! At one job I had,in the Product Design area,they had a small ibeam with the welder attached to wheels and it was over head as yours is. It kept it out of the way and was much easier to get around a project. That only had one arm and the part that was attached to the wall and was on a bearing and could pivot.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

In my case, that would be a bit rough to have the leads off a pantograph as it it a wirefeed. I do need to make or acquire a welder extension cord at some point

thecfarm

I should of said it was a wirefeed. It was one just about like mine,runs off 220,nothing was welded much over a ¼ inch in that area.

sandsawmill14

jeff  i built that out of 1 square tubing with a 1/4" with 1 1/2 pins in pipe for hinges so it would be strong enough to hang my little 125 lincoln mig from the end and run the cord down the arm to plug in :) the hose and ground are long enough to give you a 6-8' radius around the end of arm. :) i built that when we were working on a mill that i couldnt get but 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the shop (my shop is only 24 x 30 :-\ ) and the leads were always in a mess when i would have to go from one end to the other  :) i mounted it to the crane leg nearest the door so it will swing flat against the wall and the center pivot will let 1/2 the boom swing out the door :)
i am sure you will think of several projects now that you have a welder :) and if you dont have a big enough stock of metal to choose from go to the scrap yard and have a look around scrap is down right now and you can buy from them for around .05-.08 per pound right now ;) at least around here  :)

sandsawmill14

the cooling on the grind rock is a great idea  :)

Gary_C

That looks great including the welds I can see.

Just remember the wire for a wire feed welder does not like unheated buildings in cold weather. It tends to rust with the change in temperature and those small rust particles flake off the wire in your welding gun. There is a trick I've learned to take a paper towel or piece of rag and fold it over the wire and hold it in place with a clothes pin to clean any rust particles off the wire before it goes into the gun assembly.

What did you do for the Christmas Tree?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

thecfarm

Maybe flux core wire don't have that problem? but I also put them packages that say,Do Not Eat, under my spool too. They come in electronic and other stuff.

OneWithWood

Jeff, I doubt you will ever quit welding.  The more you weld the better you get.
If you have not already built one I would suggest fabbing up a cart that will hold the gas cylinder as well as the welder and assorted clamps, tools, spools, gloves, helmet and maybe even a welding blanket.  Great practice and makes future welding chores easier to accomplish.

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

kensfarm

Quote from: Jeff on October 22, 2016, 11:00:20 PM
That would be my unitractor that we got out of a field down to Bro Nobles place that I restored many years ago now.

That is pretty cool.. you'll have to make a video w/ that bad boy in action. 

I run my mig weldor off a generator.. so I had to make a cord because the generator has 120/240 sockets..  and the Hobart 210 MVP has 115/230 plugs.  I got 30ft of the AWG 10 3  wire w/ ground 600 volts & the socket/plug hardware at the box store.  I ran on the 120 until I made up the ext. cord.  Nice to keep generator noise at a distance. 

Magicman

Quote from: kensfarm on October 23, 2016, 09:33:21 PM
Quote from: Jeff on October 22, 2016, 11:00:20 PM

That is pretty cool.. you'll have to make a video w/ that bad boy in action.
Make a forum search for Unitractor:  Here is one  The RustReaper thread shows it before restoration.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

Quote from: Gary_C on October 23, 2016, 11:10:34 AM
That looks great including the welds I can see.

Just remember the wire for a wire feed welder does not like unheated buildings in cold weather. It tends to rust with the change in temperature and those small rust particles flake off the wire in your welding gun. There is a trick I've learned to take a paper towel or piece of rag and fold it over the wire and hold it in place with a clothes pin to clean any rust particles off the wire before it goes into the gun assembly.

What did you do for the Christmas Tree?

You can but a little felt block that clips around the wire and it come with a fluid to
coat and help the wire travel through the liner .

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Al_Smith

The only way to get to be a good welder is to do it .You'll figure it out .Once you get it down pat you'll remember for ever .

My bud and myself made an engine stand for Vo-Ag class when we were sophomores in high school .20 some years later at a sale of unused school property that item was sold .I thought my goodness we've came a long way from those humble beginnings .

Ox

I use what Kbeitz showed.  It's cut my liner replacement in half.  Tips last twice as long.  No difference in weld spatter.  Well worth it in my opinion.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Jeff

Here is a greenhorn question. How do you know when your tip is getting bad?

Thank You Sponsors!