iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this an Ash?

Started by Coffee_Creek, October 20, 2016, 09:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

You still have 4 faces.  Just saw lumber until the hole is all that remains.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Magicman on October 24, 2016, 09:43:30 PM
You still have 4 faces.  Just saw lumber until the hole is all that remains.

x2 the beech around here is always hollow like that if its of any size  :) about 14-16" dia is the biggest i have ever seen that was sound :-\
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

4x4American

The hole is just the middle, plenty of good lumber around it...Even veneer rotary logs can have a hole in the middle.
Boy, back in my day..

Coffee_Creek

That's my plan, the othwer tree 30 yards away with rough looking bark has a solid looking center and it's only slightly smaller, both will go to the mill.

Al_Smith

A lot of times if you get up above the center rot it contains good wood .Fact I've got the logs from a 90 foot ash the bottom 8 feet was hollow .Pretty good looking stuff .The butt log was just firewood which is not a total lose .

On the other end from a 100 footer,ash it was hollow near the top,wind blown .Big one,over 1000 bd feet of saw log and a cord and a half of firewood --use it all .

Thank You Sponsors!