iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this an Ash?

Started by Coffee_Creek, October 20, 2016, 09:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coffee_Creek

I'm clearing a site to build a new house on and have two of these that have to come down, I was told they ate Ash. Are they any good for lumber or firewood?

Magicman

Ain't Ash.  Looks like Beech to me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hopm

I would have also voted beech.....had someone tell me from eastern part of state that what I call beech is actually burr oak....never heard that before.....someone enlighten me please.

catalina

definitely not Ash. Looks like beech to me as well.

Ox

I vote a beech of some sort.  Ash has similar leaves but much rougher bark with up/down furrows in it.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Coffee_Creek

If it's beech, would the trunk be worth sawing 4/4 for flooring, siding, trim?

Would make decent firewood?

sandsawmill14

makes good firewood  i dont know about flooring but it does get really hard to drive nails in after it dries :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Al_Smith

It gets about as hard as concrete to be quite honest about it .

sandsawmill14

Quote from: hopm on October 20, 2016, 12:07:16 PM
I would have also voted beech.....had someone tell me from eastern part of state that what I call beech is actually burr oak....never heard that before.....someone enlighten me please.

burr oak will have a leaf similar to other white oaks and have huge acorns. the beech is what is in the picture above and the nuts are small and kinda pointed. we dont have burr oak around here but i seen plenty in mo and some east of us so i cant get a pic but i can get pics of beech and ash logs at the mill later if i dont forget ::) :D

WDH

Ash leaves are compound.  Beech leaves are simple.  Ash has an opposite branching pattern, beech has an alternating branching pattern. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

petefrom bearswamp

If it is ash it must be the sub species Fraxinus horizontalis.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

Ash and beech look nothing alike.  (At least to me, moi, or myself). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Coffee_Creek

Thanks to all of you guys for your imput, you have pointed me in the right direction. My wife bought me a book " Native Trees of the Southeast" an identification guide. Only problem is if you don't at least have an idea you can look throught it for hours. I went to Beech and there she was, same bark, same leaf, same twigs, same overall shape. American Beech it is, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Ox

Don't ya love learning?  I cherish learning.  My biggest problem is I have so much stored up it feels like something has to be forgotten in order to make room for new stuff.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Ox on October 21, 2016, 06:15:30 PM
Don't ya love learning?  I cherish learning.  My biggest problem is I have so much stored up it feels like something has to be forgotten in order to make room for new stuff.

ox  i must keep my memory on a flash drive because i will have it and in a flash its gone ::) :D :D :D seems it gets a little worse every year :o ::) :)

Al_Smith

It doesn't get any better either .I was a 1/2 mile down the road last week when I discovered I was missing me store bought teeth . Geese

Ox

:D sand and Al  Glad I ain't the lone ranger!

Coffee_Creek

You guys better not EVER have a stroke, I had one last April and my memory, well, I don't have one.....
Learning to use that tomy benifit thou, wife says did you the things I asked?
Baby I'm sorry I forgot  :)

Ox

You devil, you... :laugh:

Al_Smith

Well a convenient memory does have some merit at times.

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 23, 2016, 03:56:11 AM
Well a convenient memory does have some merit at times.
:D :D :D :D

Coffee_Creek

Well, the big beech is on the ground  8) that's a 32" bar....

thecfarm

Hole in the middle. Looks like mine.
I cut one and was making my notch and water started to pour out of the notch. At the time I had no idea what was going on. I never had seen it or heard about it. I shut the saw off and wondered what was going on. When I first saw it,my saw was still in the notch and I thought it was gas.  ::) Quite a bit of water came out too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ox

Good job.  Sucks the butt log is compromised, huh? 

Coffee_Creek

It does suck, I was hoping to have it milled  :'(

Thank You Sponsors!