iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The fruit of my labor

Started by wiersy111, October 19, 2016, 08:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiersy111

Decided it was time to put some of my lumber to use. I'm getting older and can't sit still or take the cold like I used to so it was time to build a deer stand with comfort in mind. I started out wanting to put a little shack on top of a platform I am currently using but ended up building a complete 6x6 stand on an 8 foot base. Being newly unemployed it had to be CHEAP also. all of the framing material I already had drying, then I cut Basswood for board and batten siding as an experiment. The plywood and tin for the roof was hidden away around the yard and shed. I got a hell of a deal on some plexiglass for the windows 3/8 thick "scrap" for 5 bucks. All the hardware for the windows and door cost 25 bucks at another jip joint. I thought I had it licked until I figured out that I didn't have enough 1" boards for the floor, so I had to buy plywood for 35 bucks. So for 75 bucks I will be nice and cozy this season.

Stihl 660
Stihl 044
Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Gearbox

Can I use it for opener and will you serve coffee ? NICE!!!
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Roundhouse

Nice work! *Almost* too nice for a deer stand.  :D
Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

wiersy111

I love building things, I haven't figured out where to put the coffee pot so I guess it still has to be the thermos for now.
Stihl 660
Stihl 044
Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Kbeitz

Ok... How did you get that thing up on there ?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Czech_Made

fishfighter

Quote from: Kbeitz on October 20, 2016, 12:08:15 AM
Ok... How did you get that thing up on there ?

Attach house to base on it's side and use winch to stand it up. ;D

Nice shooting house. Should of painted it before standing it up. Oh, maybe a guide wire and a house trailer anchor in the ground to keep a storm from blowing it over. Yep, had a couple blow over before, but my houses are 16' up. :o 

sealark37

Then a recliner for a mid-morning yawn.

wiersy111

Stihl 660
Stihl 044
Husqvarna 55 Rancher

wiersy111

I am going to let it weather over the winter and then stain it in the spring. I don't want the stain smell out there right now.
Stihl 660
Stihl 044
Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Ox

Nice work!  When you're unemployed, let nature feed your belly when possible.  Good plan with the weathering, too.  Maybe even a few years weathering will let it blend in nicely.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

wiersy111

Quote from: Ox on October 20, 2016, 10:54:10 AM
Nice work!  When you're unemployed, let nature feed your belly when possible.  Good plan with the weathering, too.  Maybe even a few years weathering will let it blend in nicely.

My thoughts are that the smell of fresh cut lumber is normal in that area as I have been milling in that area all summer. The smell of stain, paint or sealer would be out of the normal. A natural grey weathered color will blend in perfectly. The season is only a couple weeks away so they should be used to the stand being there. I do have some coyotes that showed up on my cameras that need go asap. it will give me a chance to sit in the stand before season.
Stihl 660
Stihl 044
Husqvarna 55 Rancher

OffGrid973

Looks like a perfect way to give the hillbilly hot tub a better view.  It would squeeze right in on the 6x6 footprint and take hunting to the next level :)

Great job, wondering what else we need to raise up.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

cbla

Knute

Very nice! Now you will be able to sit and wait much longer.

wiersy111

Quote from: Knute on October 21, 2016, 08:57:23 PM
Very nice! Now you will be able to sit and wait much longer.

Not to mention nap in comfort.
Stihl 660
Stihl 044
Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!