iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well guys i am stumped

Started by furltech, October 19, 2016, 04:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

furltech

I got a john deere 440c and the brake cylinder that runs the brake band for the winch decided to self destruct .soaking everything in oil, so new clutch disks .and had the brake relined. And for the life of me i can not adjust it up to get it to hold.It used to hold like crazy .When i run my hand over the drum i can feel grooves that the old band made and i am wondering if the new band just does not have enough surface area to hold .It is close but just not there. i dont know if i am missing something or not .I wonder if taking the drum off and turning it on the lathe a little,would help .I have washed it down multiple times with brake cleaner so i know it has no oil on it .

BargeMonkey

I'm no pro on a 3325, wish I was home i would email you the books I've got. The factory measurement band / cylinders travel is 4-11/16, measure from the center of both pins, sometimes you need to pull on a new lined band a little to get it to seat in but that's the # to get you close. Adjusted alot either way from there and it either won't release or won't hold. What shape are your springs in ? If you have no luck let me know and I can figure a way to send you copies of the books, I have a complete 440C machine manual that has the winch section in it.

AlexHart

Is that the same winch as on a 440D model?   

I have never had mine apart or anything as its never done anything but work.   But I may also have some manuals that cover that (not sure). 

The only thing I've had a struggle with is the driveshaft for the winch.   It was shot when I got it and had it rebuilt by Fleetpride's driveshaft department and I'm not sure where/what parts they managed to scrounge up to put it together but it cost over 800 dollars and is virtually ungreasable.   To grease it you have to disassemble everything.   So we only do it about once a year.   And even though the skidder has a grapple on it and you almost never use the winch it has to be turning all the time because unlike the old 440's there is no way to disconnect the power to it.    Which the cynic in me can't help but take some shots at now and then.    Rather frustrating situation.   

furltech

Well i took the drum off had it machined flat messed around with the adjustment some more and she is holding good now just need to work on the free spool adj .And i would appreciate any books you had barge .I have the manual for it if anyone needs a copy but it is next to useless really .We need a spot we could upload the manuals we all have to one location then we could share i am betting it is a vast resource

BargeMonkey

Quote from: AlexHart on October 20, 2016, 12:54:13 PM

I have never had mine apart or anything as its never done anything but work.   But I may also have some manuals that cover that (not sure). 

The only thing I've had a struggle with is the driveshaft for the winch.   It was shot when I got it and had it rebuilt by Fleetpride's driveshaft department and I'm not sure where/what parts they managed to scrounge up to put it together but it cost over 800 dollars and is virtually ungreasable.   To grease it you have to disassemble everything.   So we only do it about once a year.   And even though the skidder has a grapple on it and you almost never use the winch it has to be turning all the time because unlike the old 440's there is no way to disconnect the power to it.    Which the cynic in me can't help but take some shots at now and then.    Rather frustrating situation.
I hate to ask but did they see you coming thru the door @ fleet pride??? I just rebuilt my shaft for 225 ? With part's from Harold's in ME. 207-942-8331 "Mainelogger" gave me the # last yr and I've had awesome luck with parts and sent a few other guys to him, had no issues with the band at all. New band from deere is 1080.00 bucks last time I checked. Grapple on a 440D must be fun, I've only ever seen 2-3 of them around.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: furltech on October 20, 2016, 03:31:13 PM
Well i took the drum off had it machined flat messed around with the adjustment some more and she is holding good now just need to work on the free spool adj .And i would appreciate any books you had barge .I have the manual for it if anyone needs a copy but it is next to useless really .We need a spot we could upload the manuals we all have to one location then we could share i am betting it is a vast resource
I've got books for the 3325, 4000 and 6000 winch sitting on the shelf, and complete books for the 440C and 440/448D, when I get home I can throw it on the copier and send you whatever you would need.

AlexHart

Quote from: BargeMonkey on October 21, 2016, 08:30:15 PM
Quote from: AlexHart on October 20, 2016, 12:54:13 PM

I hate to ask but did they see you coming thru the door @ fleet pride??? I just rebuilt my shaft for 225 ? With part's from Harold's in ME. 207-942-8331 "Mainelogger" gave me the # last yr and I've had awesome luck with parts and sent a few other guys to him, had no issues with the band at all. New band from deere is 1080.00 bucks last time I checked. Grapple on a 440D must be fun, I've only ever seen 2-3 of them around.

Yeah... it was a disaster  LOL!     At least it works though... whatever.    Good info on this Harolds.   I've saved that number for future reference. 

Its a great machine (I think)   If you've got some 200 acre serious log job with a long skid its not exactly the machine of choice I guess but for small stuff around town its great.   No permit needed... right on the trailer and easily deployed.    We've done small jobs with it, I've rented it out, loaned it out, its been on rescue missions, filled in when "real" skidders break down etc.    We pulled over 200K feet with it this past winter.    It pulls a pretty big load for its size (shocked me at first actually) but steering can get a little waltzy with big loads.   

Basically its just a 548D except the standard shift and the little axles.   

BargeMonkey

I was talking with another deere parts guy in ME about a month ago, can't remember which shaft and part in the transmission of a 340D-440C-440D-448D it was but a couple of the parts are becoming so rare he said in 2-3yrs it's going to be a mess if you need certain parts. Our 440D came as a repo in 1994??? With 4500ish hrs, other than maintenance, winch repairs and tires I've never touched the machine, original clutch, engine, been a good machine. There are still some lower hr ones hiding in the northeast, there are 2 others locallylocally down here and the guys are mauling them to death thinking they are a 640, I'm just sitting back waiting till the time is right and I pick up a complete parts machine cheap.

AlexHart

Mine basically never broke either until finally this May we had to replace the clutch.   It actually wasn't that bad and was only like 4 or 5 hundred bucks. 

In my opinion its kind of pathetic that nobody makes a small skidder anymore.   I'm still operating 20+ years back in my little world where a 518 or 640D is a big machine.   Now you can't even buy anything THAT small let alone a 508, 440, or little Timberjack. 

Thank You Sponsors!