iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you identify for me please.

Started by Duke Santos, October 19, 2016, 06:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Santos

New newbie here and very new to wood identification, been a firewood burner for over 10 years, just got into learning about trees. Here is what I have, is it poplar??

thecfarm

Hello Duke,this should help on the pictures posting. Looks like alot,but I added some other stuff to help you keep it neat.  :)

I like to go to whatever post or start a new topic first to include a picture.Go to your gallery,it will open in a new window.Click onto your album,then click onto whatever picture you want,it will get bigger,than scroll down a little to find,Insert Image In Post,click onto that,click Yes and that is it. Some have to copy/paste the link to work.I like to hit the enter key at least once or twice to move the picture down away from what I am typing. The enter key really helps to leave some white space if posting more than one picture or posting a comment. Use the preview button to see how it looks and modify it if needed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Duke Santos

Quote from: thecfarm on October 19, 2016, 08:54:24 PM
Hello Duke,this should help on the pictures posting. Looks like alot,but I added some other stuff to help you keep it neat.  :)

I like to go to whatever post or start a new topic first to include a picture.Go to your gallery,it will open in a new window.Click onto your album,then click onto whatever picture you want,it will get bigger,than scroll down a little to find,Insert Image In Post,click onto that,click Yes and that is it. Some have to copy/paste the link to work.I like to hit the enter key at least once or twice to move the picture down away from what I am typing. The enter key really helps to leave some white space if posting more than one picture or posting a comment. Use the preview button to see how it looks and modify it if needed.

Thank you  smiley_hellow_im_here

Backwoods

Poplar is a good guess. Poplar is usually very straight and tall, grows straight up, with branches tending also to reach for the sky. The color is right for poplar too.

Without seeing more of it, it will be hard to say. Could also be ash. Ash is usually going to branch out in a hundred directions off the trunk

Do you have any leaves? Did you fall it yourself?

WDH

Yellow poplar is what it looks like to me.  The heartwood should be a green color. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Duke Santos

This was delivered to me by a friend, so no leaves. Yes there is a green color to it. Very few branches, and very light. Outer moisture reading was 50, center about 32.  This is going to sit until next season , so I will use it for the beginning of the heating season and save my hardwood for winter.

Thank you for the help. smiley_beertoast

brendonv

Hey duke. What brings you to the forum?  Im an arborist out of the seymour/oxford area. What town are you from?
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Don P

I agree, certainly looks like "yellow poplar", what the wood is often called, if you are looking it up the tree is a tulip poplar, liriodendron tulipifera. It splits easily, pops some and burns quickly, more of a shoulder season wood. A tree of that size is such good lumber I burn some slabs and tops but not much splitting wood from that tree. One of my favorite woods.

theduckdaddy

I would second that on the tulip poplar. Also called yellow poplar. Not actually a poplar, but related to the magnolia. Gets it name from the tulip shaped flowers in the spring. Europeans thought it was a poplar when they came here.

Great insulation values, but not great for firewood. I have lots of tall, straight tulip poplars in my woods that would be great for a log cabin someday.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!