iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dendro quiz

Started by caveman, October 18, 2016, 09:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

Caveman

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

Magicman- You nailed it (slash pine).  Now for the one to the right of the pine.
Caveman

caveman

This one has a clue attached.
Caveman

LeeB

somekindofgreenfruit tree.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

caveman

This tree can reach 50-60' and is native to Fla.
Caveman

sprucebunny

The leaves look like my citrus trees but the fruit doesn't look right and I don't think citrus get that tall. I'm stumped.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Magicman

OK, I am going to go out on a fruit tree limb and say Mango.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

It is not citrus or mango.  Seedling citrus can get that tall but they are rarely seen anymore.  I remember a few old seedling groves (citrus) and they were about the size and form of a field grown water oak.  The lateral veins in a mango leaf are a lot more prominent and the leaves are not as v shaped. 

This leaf is thick, waxy, and smooth and the midrib is relatively sharp and raised, more so than that of a loblolly bay.  I was surprised to find any growing as far north as my location in central Florida.
Caveman

bitternut

Guava I think. Ate lots of them when I was a young kid if Florida.

caveman

It is not a guava.  This particular fruit is larger than the guavas I have seen.  These leaves are 4"-6" long.
Caveman

caveman

Hints:
This tree is invasive to Australia but native to Florida, South America and the Caribbean.  The seeds are poisonous and the powder from the seeds can cause blindness in humans.  The fruit is eaten by many animals including alligators (which gives another hint to one of its common names) and it smells good when ripe.  The leaves and seeds can also kill or deter insects. 
Caveman

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Annona glabra.  Pond apple.

Same family as paw paw. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Danny gets another one. It is one of the trees added to to state FFA forestry contest. I was pleased to be shown a couple growing in Lakeland which is a quite a bit north of their range. Most are found south of Lake Okeechobee. 
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!