iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sealing my water tanks

Started by Qweaver, October 18, 2016, 05:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

We have two above ground plastic tanks and two in ground concrete tanks. One in ground tank leaks  down to about 3'.  I used two coats of Chemseal Foundation Gray last summer to try and seal it but it still leaks.  Is there a sealer that may work better than the Chemseal? I mixed what chemseal that I had left over and I'll try recoating  the sides one more time.  I wish there was a way to plastic coat the inside of the tank. ???
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

coxy

did you try that stuff they sell on tv where they cut the bottom out of a boat and put window screen in it  then brush this stuff on  it and bingo its sealed  :-\ :)

thecfarm

Too bad you could not get something like a pool liner for the inside.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Quote from: coxy on October 18, 2016, 07:04:02 PM
did you try that stuff they sell on tv where they cut the bottom out of a boat and put window screen in it  then brush this stuff on  it and bingo its sealed  :-\ :)

We tried that a few years ago with one of our sap tanks, what a mess!

Every time we empty a tank of sap, we have to make sure that the filter is in place before the sap is pumped from the gathering tank, to the storage tank in the sugar house.

I wouldn't recommend using it on anything important!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Qweaver

I've got a buy on an 1100 gal in ground plastic tank that I'll install beside my leaking concrete tank just to increase my holding capacity.  We have never run out of water but when we have a a multi-day event we use a lot of water.  70 people flushing a commode can take a toll. :D
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Ox

If it's out of direct sunlight, a simple poly tarp will work perfectly for you.  Plus it's cheap.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

YellowHammer

Around here, seems like everyone is using the commercial spray on truck bed liner to waterproof everything from boats to cattle troughs.

I used Damptite once for a below ground tornado shelter that always flooded, and it worked for a decade. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

LeeB

Please please please be aware of entry into a confined space and the hazards involve. Make sure you have an adequate supply of fresh air and a hole watch. Be sure that whatever you decide to coat it with is non toxic and be fully aware that the fumes may be deadly in a confine space.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

submarinesailor

DITTO what Lee said.  Had some very bad things happen to people I know in confined spaces.

sandhills

I'll third that, tried cleaning an old sistern once, there are things that are fine by themselves but not mixed with others.  I couldn't get out of that hole fast enough  ::).

fishpharmer

The aquaculture industry had epoxy paint that was approved for potable water.  I used it in the past with great success on wood and concrete tanks.  There are bound to be other suppliers but I used this...
http://search.pentairaes.com/search#w=Epoxy%20paint
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!