iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Caterpillar 518 Skidder questions

Started by cariboo4x4, October 16, 2016, 11:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cariboo4x4

Hi everyone.  I'm new here.  I was looking for diagrams for the 119 Gearmatic winch and its controls on this 518 Cat Skidder and found exploded diagrams that were posted on the Forestry Forum.   Figured I should become a member.  I own a 1961 Case Loader Backhoe W3 (530) and B250 International McCormick Tractor and other items I have repaired and use so maybe others can use my help here.  Fellows at a tractor site freely helped me rebuild my Case Hoe's Case-o-matic transmission.  I bought a service manual off the son of a retired Case dealership in Ontario.

As for this winch, the Skidder sat for 4-5 years out in the bush.   I fired it up for the first time this past Tuesday and its running awesome.   Starter solenoid was shot so put a new one on, cleaned up the battery connections, installed charged batteries and luckily no issues with air pump and we got it mobile.  However winch hydraulic control box was empty of fluid so the winch would not feed in or out.  We filled control box and attempted to bleed controls.   However we were unable to bleed it properly.  I found a couple leaks on lines at winch and tightened those up.   Just as I was leaving skidder for the evening, I noticed brake fluid under control box so maybe a leak there too.  I been looking on ebay and other locations for a shop service manual for skidder and winch.  I expect there is a specific procedure to bleed control box and lines.  The skidder is 3 hours driving from where I live so hoping to arrive back at skidder with a service manual or some notes on how to get winch up and running.  Control box has raised print on it saying to use auto brake fluid so got that right so far.   Just going to load a couple pics to show you all what I am up against.  The skidders machine number is (PIN) 94U01124, arrangement #8V9080 and winch model number is 119 4V5569.   The owner lives in Washington state and would gladly buy a service manual for it which included operation, maintenance, and lubrication.  The last operator of the skidder told me bleeding the winch control box and related lines was very difficult and he was guessing himself how to do it.   He was not mechanically inclined and was unaware of the leaks.   He said he was trying to winch a log that was stuck between two tree stumps and that was when winch stopped winching.   He managed to unhook choker and winch in choker.  He told owner 4-5 years ago he figured clutches in winch were worn out yet now he thinks lines to winch sprung a leak.   From what I can see under winch side covers there is no clutches and brake type bands have lots of material left, 1/4" of material on inner and outer bands.  Propeller shaft is turning winch fine so I expect gearing is ok.  It was full of gear oil to oil level plug.  I just don't know how control box lever operates winch or how to bleed it properly.   I've seen rebuild kits on ebay for control box too so may buy a rebuild kit off ebay or directly from Caterpillar.

cariboo4x4

coxy

they are not that hard to do fill master control  then crack the lines on the master control one at a time do this a few times then check fluid level and do it again then do it by the winch clutch side and brake side   if you get it going and the winch wont stop winching in the spider in the winch is stuck from sitting and it not bad to fix just a pita if you post this under forestry and logging you will get more people responding  maybe Personal message jeff and he will move it for you    do you know what year it is mine is an 81 I have the diamond shape cab newer ones have a straight cab good luck with it

Thank You Sponsors!