iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Standard MS461 or wait for the CM version? Pro's & Con's of Mtronic?

Started by WoodBurner19, October 15, 2016, 09:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodBurner19

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on November 30, 2016, 08:25:58 AM
I was just in my Stihl dealer the other day and he had a 461 sitting on the shelf, had a $1080 tag on it too. The dealer sells them with some regularly as I see them sitting on his shelves from time to time. I'd love to pick one up but the trees I cut are no where near large enough or numerous to justify the purchase.

Hmmm. I'm sure there are a few still left in some places, but $1080? WOW. They were $950 around here. I demand to know when the new saws are coming out!! :D            Santa can you hear me!!!! :D
MS 270 C   MS 461,  Remodeling Contractor, Married, 2 kids, 2004 Dodge Deisel, 2013 4X4 KingQuad, Stihl saws, 35 ton 4way Splitter.

DelawhereJoe

WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

WoodBurner19

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on December 01, 2016, 08:11:34 AM
http://www.stihl.co.nz/STIHL-Products/Chainsaws/01573/Professional-Chainsaws.aspx

Go check out these prices....just dial 91 then press the other 1 once you feel the chest pains.

LOL  Yes that is a big number, but they are in NZ (New Zealand) currency. I believe the rate is 1.73 to US dollars.
MS 270 C   MS 461,  Remodeling Contractor, Married, 2 kids, 2004 Dodge Deisel, 2013 4X4 KingQuad, Stihl saws, 35 ton 4way Splitter.

Ianab

Quote from: WoodBurner19 on December 01, 2016, 09:47:21 PM
Quote from: DelawhereJoe on December 01, 2016, 08:11:34 AM
http://www.stihl.co.nz/STIHL-Products/Chainsaws/01573/Professional-Chainsaws.aspx

Go check out these prices....just dial 91 then press the other 1 once you feel the chest pains.

LOL  Yes that is a big number, but they are in NZ (New Zealand) currency. I believe the rate is 1.73 to US dollars.

1.4 at the moment, and everything in NZ has a 15% GST added. If you are a business you can claim that tax back when you make your tax return.

Doesn't mean that aren't still horrendously overpriced of course.  ::) :(
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

HolmenTree

I just heard this from the rumor mill last night about specs on the new MS462 .
73.2 cc
6hp/4.4kw
6.2 kg/ 13.6 lbs.

joe_indi, any truth in all this? ???
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

WoodBurner19

Why do you think they would drop 4cc's? To make it lighter? I hope I didn't go wrong
buying the 461!

joe_indi

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 18, 2017, 12:32:52 PM
I just heard this from the rumor mill last night about specs on the new MS462 .
73cc
6hp
6.2 kg/ 13.6 lbs.

joe_indi, any truth in all this? ???
Willard, I am a bit out of the Stihl circle over here now and I have not heard anything on the 462 yet.
However several 382s were undergoing trials here and it was also listed in the latest price catalogue with the column for prices carrying the legend "available in Q4" or something similar.
We have two more months in Q4 and are still waiting.

HolmenTree

Thanks Joe, if the 73cc spec is true then I can see why  the MS441 may be discontinued.
With almost 6 cc difference between the 441 and 461 the 3 cc split in the middle was decided upon.
462 is claimed to be same 6 h.p.as the 461 but a full lb. lighter.

441 is same weight as the 461....

May be another new 85cc Stihl in the works ???

Grandpa

Mr Holmen, those are pretty impressive numbers if they are true. Any word on the anti vibe setup?  I have carpal tunnel issues and have not been impressed with the engine on the 372 XP XT.

HolmenTree

Grandpa, yes from a google search it has spring antivibe, hopefully better for less vibration and still stout enough for longer b/c.

SawTroll

Quote from: WoodBurner19 on January 18, 2017, 07:04:23 PM
Why do you think they would drop 4cc's? To make it lighter? I hope I didn't go wrong
buying the 461!

Likely not if you don't use it too much, and isn't vibe sensitive. There are signs that they don't stand up very well to sustained pro use though, for a couple of reasons that really should be easy to fix. Anyway, I suspect it was sort of a "stop-gap" model, so they may not bother to fix the issues (big end bearing and piston hitting the inside nipple for the impulse).

Non-pro users seem to be happy with them.
Information collector.

Jesper Jepsen

Asked a Stihl representative (not dealer) today about the 462 and he told me that they are coming with a 462 this year but only fitted as a rescue saw, but he expected it would become a standard saw next year but a MS 462 standard saw was not in the pipeline as far as he was informed for 2017.

WoodBurner19

Hi Guys. Since I started this thread, I thought I would give you an update! I finally got a chance to use my new MS461 with a  20" b/c today. Bucked up some Red Oak & Walnut. Put about 3 tanks thru her so far & she ran great! :) I appreciate all of your helpful info. Also the Pickaroon & Cant Hook are a must!! The measuring stick you see is marked at every 18" for consistent lengths.

Grandpa

Holmen Tree, sorry I forgot to thank you for your answer.
Your google skills must be better than mine, I couldn't find anything on it. Don't pat yourself on the back too hard, my google skills are pretty feeble. :D

SawTroll

I have been told that the reason that Stihl currently is loosing saw sales in the PNW to the Husky 390xp and 395xp is that that neither the MS661 nor the MS461 is holding up in that environment. It hardly is a coincidence that the development is as it is, with Stihl saws out, and (much older) Husky ones in.
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Grandpa on January 27, 2017, 08:58:47 PM
Holmen Tree, sorry I forgot to thank you for your answer.
Your google skills must be better than mine, I couldn't find anything on it. Don't pat yourself on the back too hard, my google skills are pretty feeble. :D
Grandpa, that's s beautiful pile of firewood you have there and a really nice saw!
Pickaroon work great. For the smaller rounds have you tried a pair of tongs? I use my tongs more then my pickaroon .

Here's a pic of the MS462 spring mount up front much the same design as the Husqvarna 395XP so it should handle a long bar and chain. Not sure about the rear mounts.

Grandpa

Mr. Holmen, you are confused, that is neither my firewood nor my saw. Credit goes to Woodburner19.
For me, av mounts are pretty simple, bad hands and 20" bars dictate soft springs.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Grandpa on January 28, 2017, 07:28:20 AM
Mr. Holmen, you are confused, that is neither my firewood nor my saw. Credit goes to Woodburner19.
For me, av mounts are pretty simple, bad hands and 20" bars dictate soft springs.
Oops,  :D :)

ehp

Sawtroll, I find that remark quite false. I make my living running saws everyday all year long and there is NO WAY your going to tell me that the 327 is the better in  quality than the 461 , its not . There is a ton of 461's around here as that is what most loggers run and no one is having any trouble , can you say the same with the 390's , no you cannot cause their spinning the crank bearings in the crankcase and on the crank  so bad that dealers are taking brand new 390's a part trying to fix that problem before the saw is sold . Now this is only on the latest new 390's , if you own a older 390 they donot seem to have that problem. , Husky needs to address some problems real fast or their going to be left on the side of the road wondering what went wrong .  Your going on what you read on the internet not real first hand information ,

ehp

Woodburner , it takes a few more tanks before your saw seats the rings good , this last 461 Im running right now has 3 days logging on it and its still gaining

thecfarm

WoodBurner19,on my 372,to the end of the bar to straight mark on the cover is 2 feet. My Efco I have to use a paint marker for 2 feet. Don't need a stick this way. One less thing for me to lose and keep track of.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

joe_indi

Crank bearing spins are not limited to Huskys. I see a lot of it on Stihl 460 and 461 here.
I think it happens from fine saw dust or resin entering the crankcase.the bearings get gummy and the outers spin in their seats.
The remedy is new cast iron bearing seats that outlive the saws.
But it is a bit tricky because there is a risk of the left and right seats going out of alignment, which could cause the crankshaft to become tight. In which case the crank bearings have a very short life.
I get it done a specially made jig that ensures the seats are perfectly aligned

WoodBurner19

Quote from: thecfarm on January 28, 2017, 06:41:31 PM
WoodBurner19,on my 372,to the end of the bar to straight mark on the cover is 2 feet. My Efco I have to use a paint marker for 2 feet. Don't need a stick this way. One less thing for me to lose and keep track of.  ;D

I know I need a better marking system. Is there anything that attaches to the saw?

WoodBurner19

that's s beautiful pile of firewood you have there and a really nice saw!
Pickaroon work great. For the smaller rounds have you tried a pair of tongs? I use my tongs more then my pickaroon .

Thanks! Just trying to stay ahead for once! What kind of tongs are good?

HolmenTree

Quote from: WoodBurner19 on January 28, 2017, 08:50:12 PM

that's s beautiful pile of firewood you have there and a really nice saw!

Thanks! Just trying to stay ahead for once! What kind of tongrs are good?
These ones I got are what Husqvarna sells. I have a couple of older Stihl ones and they are just as good if not a little better quality.
2 sizes . These are the large size.

Thank You Sponsors!