iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Standard MS461 or wait for the CM version? Pro's & Con's of Mtronic?

Started by WoodBurner19, October 15, 2016, 09:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodBurner19

Hey Guys, really quick question. I went to my Stihl dealer today & I had a conversation with the rep. I asked if the 461 had the M-tronics & it doesn't. It's the only one in the pro line that doesn't have it. Is that going to be a problem or do you think it's smart to buy it?
Pro's & con's? I really want the MS461 by next weekend, Thanks in advance
MS 270 C   MS 461,  Remodeling Contractor, Married, 2 kids, 2004 Dodge Deisel, 2013 4X4 KingQuad, Stihl saws, 35 ton 4way Splitter.

Ada Shaker

Depends on what you consider to be important. If you like to, or consider yourself carrying out repairs to your saws, do you think you'd have the capacity to repair an mtronic saw. You may also be just as content hand balling any repairs to the dealer. Some ppl frown at mtronic, can't say I blame them, and others love'm. There's just more that can go wrong with them l7ke any other mechanical/electrical device out there. So far, the mtronic saw I have purchased (362) has been good to me, but I am also aware that it is just a matter of time, we all get old eventually. On the + side, they allow you to concentrate on the job at hand, rather than playing with carb settings. Just my to bobs worth.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

ehp

buy the carb 461 , I honestly hope they never bring out a 461 with m-tronic . At least with a carb you can set the jets to get the saw to run proper , a lot harder to do with m-tronic or autotune

Texas-Jim

I am in opposite camp, M-tronic is a better saw. Theres no way we as users can keep a saw as close to perfect as that chip can. Every tank of gas or fuel mix or temp or altitude  even chain sharpness when we are cutting. Those are just some of variables that chip constantly adjusts as we run the saw. I don't mean to seem like an ass but people that want or feel the need to turn screws are only ones fussing about the saws. We all know that before long someone will have soft ware you can put on your lap top and diagnose one of them. Just my opinion.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

Greyhound

IMHO Get the MS461, before they are gone.  Great saw.  Love mine.  I like it and my MS361 more than my M-tronic MS261CM.

WoodBurner19

Thanks guys, it sounds to be opinion based, always mixed reviews. I'm a Carpenter, not a Mechanic. So every 2 yrs I let my dealer tune it up, and I'm ok with that. I really wish I could by the 441 but they stopped making that model. So I guess I will be buying the 461 next week, unless someone wishes to talk me out of it ;D
MS 270 C   MS 461,  Remodeling Contractor, Married, 2 kids, 2004 Dodge Deisel, 2013 4X4 KingQuad, Stihl saws, 35 ton 4way Splitter.

ehp

I run and just bought another 461 arctic , believe me if the saw was not good I would not own it . AS far as the Mtronic being better than me and my screwdriver  that's not even close . For me to even run a saw with mtronic or autotune I need to modded how it works as they are not very close on jetting , days like today where its 100% humidity the mtronic or autotune run so rich the saws will barely run

sweetjetskier

The 461 will last you for many years with basic maintenance and any small engine shop can make adjustments to carb, whereas the M tronic and/or Autotune saws need special diagnostic equipment and not many shops have the equipment, knowledge base to work with the electronics.

I have a 460 Arctic and it is great all around saw, but has been replaced by the 461.

I also have 4 months of running a 461 and it is a very nice saw with better fuel economy, improved AV and a smooth as silk performance.

In the future I am going to add a 461 Arctic to my work saws, the 461 is that good!

Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

Spartan

I had a 461 that I ran for 2 years falling timber, day in and day out.  Most reliable saw I've had, Only problem I had besides breaking the normal stuff like pull ropes, etc... was a tooth on the chain tensioner gear broke, but it would still tighten it after I got the broken piece out.  I ran a 441 m tronic for a while, got rid of it, maybe I was too picky.  My 661 that is m tronic has quirks but its ok.  Neither of the m tronics were as stable and predictable as that 461.  That's my .02

HolmenTree

Well the future may almost be here for a upgrade.
This is coming over the horizon soon.
Not sure what it'll be called....MS462.....MS442?

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

joe_indi

The 461 is one of the best Stihl saws available now. It does have an electronically adjusted ignition system, with a speed limiter. Which I dont care for too much since here they run 99% of the time with full chisel chains on 18" bars. Maybe the ignition is great for longer bars.
The muffler is a bit restricted.
I replace the stock muffler body with that of a MS460 Magnum.
Ditto the ignition coil.
Exchange the 0.68 jet with a more generous 0.70
Knock out the lugs on the limiter caps for more tuning options. And exchange the 7 tooth rim for an 8 tooth.
With an 18" bar it becomes a formidable saw which has fuel consumption less than a 460 by nearly 20%, thanks to its exhaust stratified engine design.
But it in its present form. The M-tronic would only 'tame' this mighty saw
Joe

WoodBurner19

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 17, 2016, 09:48:59 PM
Well the future is almost here for a 461 upgrade.
Not sure what it'll be called....MS462?
Pictures from over 2 years ago.

Hey Holmen.  When are you speculating that they will come out with the upgraded one, 462?

And thanks to everyone for there thoughts!

SawTroll

Quote from: WoodBurner19 on October 16, 2016, 08:06:14 PM
Thanks guys, it sounds to be opinion based, always mixed reviews. I'm a Carpenter, not a Mechanic. So every 2 yrs I let my dealer tune it up, and I'm ok with that. I really wish I could by the 441 but they stopped making that model. So I guess I will be buying the 461 next week, unless someone wishes to talk me out of it ;D

I doubt they did, as it still is listed on several Stihl websites, including the German one. It just isn't on the US one at the moment - time will tell what's up.....
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: WoodBurner19 on October 18, 2016, 06:18:49 AM
Quote from: HolmenTree on October 17, 2016, 09:48:59 PM
Well the future may almost be here for a  upgrade.
Not sure what it'll be called....MS462....MS442?

Hey Holmen.  When are you speculating that they will come out with the upgraded one, 462?

And thanks to everyone for there thoughts!
Not sure about a MS462, may be a MS442 from what I see as the MS441 is no longer on the U.S. wesite

sweetjetskier

Also the 461 and 461R currently are $100 off MSRP at dealers serviced by NorthEast Stihl.

That sale lasts until November 30.

Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

ehp

the 441 mtronic cut pretty good but they have to be reset here all the time .Hard to get a full week out of them before having to go back to dealer for reset

HolmenTree

I have a feeling this new Stihl will be 70-72cc.
Husqvarna has something up their sleeve with a new 70cc and this saw will match it power and weight.
Weights in this class will be back down to just breaking 13lbs. Just like the 044, 371/372.

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 18, 2016, 04:34:55 PM
I have a feeling this new Stihl will be 70-72cc.
Husqvarna has something up their sleeve with a new 70cc and this saw will match it power and weight.
Weights in this class will be back down to just breaking 13lbs. Just like the 044, 371/372.

Hopefully you are right about the weight, the current 70cc saws have been gaining a lot of weight the last 15-17 years (since the original 044 and the 371xp).

As you surely know, a new Husky 70cc model (referred to as 572xp, and rumors of a larger one as well) was out as test saws several years ago, so the question lately has been what has been holding the release back. I haven't heard of a single sighting of a 70cc Stihl counterpart though, only the "462"?
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Well as we all know about the interchangeably of parts within the 044 and 046 for example.
This so called test 462 can easily be made into one or the other, 71cc or 77cc.
I can see room for a new 85cc model reminiscent of the 1986 064AV , ........

joe_indi

Well, I have seen the new MS382. It is a 72cc like the 038, 380 and 381.
With the re-engineering it is really something. We expect to see it in shops here before this December.
However, it is already available in some countries.http://saforestryonline.co.za/articles/stihls-new-ms-382-chainsaw-unveiled/

nitehawk55

Highly unlikely we'll see the MS 381 in North-Am , it won't meet EPA but looks to be a nice power to weight ratio .
I was told sometime back that Stihl will be releasing a MS 462 but who knows for sure .

I wouldn't worry on getting a 461 , it's a good saw .
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

SawTroll

Quote from: nitehawk55 on October 19, 2016, 03:20:25 PM
Highly unlikely we'll see the MS 381 in North-Am , it won't meet EPA but looks to be a nice power to weight ratio .
I was told sometime back that Stihl will be releasing a MS 462 but who knows for sure .

I wouldn't worry on getting a 461 , it's a good saw .

I'm sure you are right about that - but as joe_indi said, the MS381 already has been replaced by the MS382 (at least in Brazil, where those models are made).
Information collector.

joe_indi

Quote from: nitehawk55 on October 19, 2016, 03:20:25 PM

The 382 would be available in 2 versions. The exhaust stratified 382 2Mix version and the 382 2stroke version.
I think the 2 mix version might be for places like the North American continent, maybe.
We are going to get the 2 stroke version.

nitehawk55

I don't think just stratified will do it now for any new Stihl saws , they will have to be M-tronic to meet EPA .
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

HolmenTree

What I understand is the new MS382 is based on the MS461 design and alot of their parts interchange.
So if the non M-Tronic 461 can be sold here the 382 should make it too.

Thank You Sponsors!