iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill Mouse

Started by warren46, October 15, 2016, 08:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

warren46

Last few times I started my mill I have noticed a mouse scamper across the sawdust pile from the direction of the mill.  I am not certain but I think it, and perhaps some relatives, have taken up residence in the main beams of my mill.  Fortunately all of the wiring in that part is the mill is in conduit but I still don't want squatters taking up residence.  Poison or traps?
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

paul case

If you put out poison make sure your dog cant get it and traps usually catch me.

You need what I have. an energetic mongrel dog that wants to bring me gifts. He has left a rat near my trailer where I stepped on him when tying a load of lumber down and one in front of the garage. My wife was real impressed.  What a gift! Better yet get said dog for your least favorite neighbor!

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

drobertson

Mine always seem to runout the hyd. box, drop down an high tail it behind the stickers,  miss Dixie was my mouse critter Ritter,  she learned pretty quick their trick,   they rarely escaped her.  Sure miss that dog,  I also had one a few times ride the cross over support just above the drag back,  gotta laugh watching them ride through a log!  They would sit there looking back at me while sawing.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

terrifictimbersllc

I take the end caps off of the tubes, put several tablespoons full of red pepper in each one,then gently puff the pepper into the tubes with either compressed air or leaf blower.

Repeat about every year.  No mice since.  they cant stand it in there with the pepper. 

got 5 pounds of cayenne pepper for $30 off of the internet.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

DMcCoy

The advantage I see with traps is you know for certain when you get them, and they don't end up rotting away in some hard to reach corner you don't know they are in until the smell.

I have used these for years and they are my favorite trap.  Nice wide trigger,  wide clamp - no thin wire to snap your fingers and break the mouses skin which makes a messy trap with a stuck mouse.  I consider these pet and children safe but you should make that call.  I will not go back to the old victor wire type.

http://www.intruderinc.com/products/the-better-mousetrap

4x4American

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on October 15, 2016, 08:57:15 AM
I take the end caps off of the tubes, put several tablespoons full of red pepper in each one,then gently puff the pepper into the tubes with either compressed air or leaf blower.

Repeat about every year.  No mice since.  they cant stand it in there with the pepper. 

got 5 pounds of cayenne pepper for $30 off of the internet.

smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Boy, back in my day..

Chuck White

I use a 5 gallon pail with about 5-6" of used motor oil in it, in my garage.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

GAB

I've heard that mice do not like the smell of dryer sheets.
Maybe you can stuff some in and discourage them that way.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

thecfarm

Mouse Magic,by Bonide. I sell it at work,peppermint and spearmint.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ladylake

I put some of that so called mouse repellent in the back of my skid loader and 2 blocks of poison right next to it, they ate the poison so I'd guess that mouse repellant does nothing.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

barbender

The little boogers lovd getting in the control console on my Woodmizer. I have to keep mothballs in it, if I forget they set up shop and build a nest quickly. I hate mice.
Too many irons in the fire

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: GAB on October 15, 2016, 03:40:18 PM
I've heard that mice do not like the smell of dryer sheets.
Maybe you can stuff some in and discourage them that way.
Gerald
My boat dealer uses dryer sheets with cinnamon sticks in the compartments in his boat, over the winter.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

ncsawyer

I saw one this morning run out of a hole in the main frame rail and run back into another one.  I pulled it 20 miles to a job, ran it all day, and drove home. 

I wonder if he rode in there all day.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Brad_bb

Use the Victor snap traps with the 1"x1" yellow plastic tongue.  Put a little peanut butter in the center hole so they have to dig for it.  Works every time.  You don't need much peanut butter.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

ladylake

Quote from: barbender on October 15, 2016, 05:45:22 PM
The little boogers lovd getting in the control console on my Woodmizer. I have to keep mothballs in it, if I forget they set up shop and build a nest quickly. I hate mice.

I tried moth balls and poison side by side in my skid loader also, they still ate the poison.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ozarkgem

Quote from: DMcCoy on October 15, 2016, 09:04:27 AM
The advantage I see with traps is you know for certain when you get them, and they don't end up rotting away in some hard to reach corner you don't know they are in until the smell.

I have used these for years and they are my favorite trap.  Nice wide trigger,  wide clamp - no thin wire to snap your fingers and break the mouses skin which makes a messy trap with a stuck mouse.  I consider these pet and children safe but you should make that call.  I will not go back to the old victor wire type.

http://www.intruderinc.com/products/the-better-mousetrap
I tried those. I don't think the spring is strong enough. About 3/4 of the ones I caught were by the tail or just one foot . Then I had to hunt for them and the trap.
Went back to Victors.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Chuck White

I have 3 or 4 of the plastic traps and they seem to always be a body-hold!

I have never had one sprung without there being a mouse in there.  ;)

With the old wire snap traps, the second mouse always gets the bait, not so with the plastic traps!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Satamax

For the mouses inside a frame, a whizzel or ferret does the job nicely. Whizzel or ferret skin in there is the best repelent. It's a trick we use in france, in rooves where they squat the insulation.

Over here, the ones giving us trouble usually, dormouse and garden dormouse. Once in a roof, no choice but to find the holes, and send a ferret in!
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Brad_bb on October 15, 2016, 10:14:18 PM
Use the Victor snap traps with the 1"x1" yellow plastic tongue.  Put a little peanut butter in the center hole so they have to dig for it.  Works every time.  You don't need much peanut butter.
This is what I use in my barn. I have a pellet rifle in there for when I see them. I never use the poison. The theory is the poison makes them leave to find water which activates the poison and kills them, but in reality they often find water and die where you don't want them to. Mice stink for quite a while...

I also use the dryer sheets in our camper when we store it for the winter.

Thank You Sponsors!