iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting logs

Started by woodman58, October 15, 2016, 05:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodman58

How many sawyers cut their own logs? I am having loads of trouble finding a logger. I am thinking about getting a log truck to pick up logs but, I still haven't found a logger that would sell me the quantity that I need. Any help would be appreciated.
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

ozarkgem

I cut my own. Small scale operation. I have a tractor with a skidder attachment on it and front end loader. One thing to look at is dead standing trees. I cut a nice Red Oak yesterday. 30" at the butt and 2 clear logs. I check the tree tops to look for dangerous limbs. If the limbs are falling on the ground I usually stay away. If in doubt I hook a chain(long one) and shake the tree to see if any limbs fall. Seems asking someone if you can cut the dead trees is easier on their mind than cutting live ones. Also I don't do much damage with my tractor as a skidder would. Not sure what kind of equipment you have. Another option would be to skid a load out and hire a log truck to haul them to your place. I think you are like me not a large production operation. I think I have about 25 dead trees just on my place. Probably about  5m bf of lumber at least. I forgot what kind of mill you have and if its hobby or you are making a living with it.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

sandsawmill14

i cut my own logs for about 2 yrs and i say only do it as a last resort :) i would log 3 days and saw 3 days you will work yourself to death  :-\ if you are working your own timber that would be different or if you are big enough to have a mill crew and a logging crew where you can do both at the same time it works out real good but if its just you and maybe a helper you just cant get anything done  :) you would be better off custom or contract sawing for someone  else if you could find work :) but if you cant work anything else out you can cut your own logs but expect long hours and not a whole lot of money :) Good Luck
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Sixacresand

On my place, I only cut down beetle killed pine.  It is a lot work:  Clearing path to get to the logs, limb cleanup if is in the yard, also ticks, flies, red bugs, the heat and poison ivy.  I don't like it.   But it is better than spending a day at the doctors office or going to the mall. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

pineywoods

I do my own logging. Tractor with a logging winch, forks on the fel  and a flatbed trailer pulled by the tractor. Mostly on my own woods, but occasionally a freebie or two from neighbors. A trailer with a DanG loader can be mighty useful..I cut a lot of standing dead timber, X2 on the dead limbs on the ground, leave it be..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ron Wenrich

How much are you looking for?  I worked my business quite a bit differently.  I became a hired gun, and it took away a lot of  my headaches.  I also slept better at night.

Back in the early '80s, there wasn't too much in the way of small bandmills.  I had some good experience working at circle mills, and my job included lumber grading, log scaling and grading, sawing, timber procurement, and mill supervision.  I had a partner when we just did consulting forestry work.  The high interest rates of the late '70s pretty well wiped things out, as well as a recession. 

I approached a logger who was excellent at buying timber, and selling logs.  But, he was hauling some of his lower grade a long distance.  I asked him why he didn't saw them.  Turns out he didn't know how to run a mill.  I told him if he buys a mill, I'll saw and run it for a set amount/Mbf.  He bought an old hand mill, and I installed it.  I wasn't paid for the installation, so he wasn't out any money, except for the mill.

When we started up, it took a while to get rid of the bugs, and I had another miller help me with answers.  He made more money selling lumber then he did selling logs.  I never ran out of logs and he kept on getting better equipment.  Between us, we had a good operation.  He also didn't carry any debt, which really helped.

I worked with him and other mills for 35 years.  The original logger was the only one that didn't have problems getting logs.  They always had cash and about 6 months of timber bought up.  I did the bulk of my work with him.  Other loggers had problems getting timber, and everything boiled down to productivity.  You got to find a logger that is a good worker.

I don't know if you can get into that type of a relationship.  But, if they have some skin in the game, they'll keep you in logs.  Contract cutting may be a way to go.  Not unless you have some outstanding accounts that you wouldn't want to share.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

drobertson

Yep, almost would make a guy ask why???  There is some shade going on for sure, had one fall for me hundred bucks a thousand. One in a pile for sure. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

red

Got to have Logs to run a mill. İf you need to log them then thats the deal
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on October 15, 2016, 12:09:43 PM

everything boiled down to productivity.  You got to find a logger that is a good worker.

And that's not easy. Out of 10 or so I know, 3 want to work and do what they say.
[ truck of logs will be there tuesday] Tuesday comes and the truck is in my yard 5.45 AM. :D :D :D

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WV Sawmiller

W58,

I saw my own but am nowhere near the category you are talking about. I prefer custom sawing at the client site but sell a little lumber from trees harvested, thinned or salvaged off my 42 acres. If someone orders a couple thousand bf of poplar lumber I'll go cut a tree or two and drag to my site with my ATV. I don't buy logs from others. Good luck on your search. I like Doc's discussion and the idea of getting the logger financially incentivized to participate.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

YellowHammer

Finding loggers who will work with an unknown independent sawyer is difficult, as this is what puts food on their table, and they need to know they will get paid for their work and can turn and burn, as if they were working with the bigger mills.
I work with several loggers and some will leave the logs on the landing for me to pickup, and some will bring them by.  I also buy some logs from local sawmills who will sell them.  Most mills around here have a certain optimimum size they like to saw, based in profit margin, and will sell or broker the other logs. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

drobertson

Quote from: YellowHammer on October 16, 2016, 09:31:35 AM
Finding loggers who will work with an unknown independent sawyer is difficult, as this is what puts food on their table, and they need to know they will get paid for their work and can turn and burn, as if they were working with the bigger mills.
I work with several loggers and some will leave the logs on the landing for me to pickup, and some will bring them by.  I also buy some logs from local sawmills who will sell them.  Most mills around here have a certain optimimum size they like to saw, based in profit margin, and will sell or broker the other logs.
Yep could not be said better, make it work for all concerned.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

What you said is true YH, but I find the big mills keep the best and sell the rest.
I find it's all about money with the loggers, If you have the money you will get the logs you want.
I might not buy 100 TT loads a week, I get calls all the time to see if I want logs and what size I want them.

Want logs have money, that easy.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Peter,not prying,but do you pay on the spot?
When I was selling logs to a big sawmill,I had to wait until Friday for my money. Than that was a check too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!