iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Applying Anchorseal

Started by 4x4American, October 14, 2016, 07:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

I'm having a hard time applying anchorseal with the sprayer I got at tractor supply.  For one I cant figure out how to fill it without having to pump it in.  I take out the pumper unit, fill that neck up, then plunge it in.  It is messy and takes a long time to fill it up.  Then it shoots out like ketchup does out of a plastic bottle.  Then the anchorseal (II) don't spread out on the log butt, so it just comes out uneven and looks like a fourth grader tried to make art.  What am I doing wrong!?  Maybe rolling/brushing it on would be more better?
Boy, back in my day..

qbilder

God bless our troops

4x4American

Only thing about a paint brush is it may take a long time I needa coat approx 3mbf for a customer and I don't wanna take all day
Boy, back in my day..

tmbrcruiser

I purchased a back pack sprayer from Tractor Supply and got it to work somewhat. I kept changing the tips until I got one that did the job. Keep the sprayer pumped up to the greatest pressure you can. Haven't sprayed many logs but I believe the sprayer is wasting as much as it is applying. Not sure what the best advice is and would appreciate any advice out there.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Cazzhrdwd

Yeah the stuff is really messy. Bet I lose 25% due to waste. I use a paint roller which I leave right in the bucket so I don't have to clean it everytime I use it. Used a brush at first and wasted even more, the roller seems to work the best for me.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

plowboyswr

4x4 try checking this out Brad_BB had a thread on it here a while back took me some diggin' to find it.  ;)
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,84226.msg1286953.html#msg1286953
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

DR_Buck

They make a "special" nozzel for the backpack sprayers.    However,  I've found the paint roller works best.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

4x4American

Thanks fellers...

Stuposedly UC makes a few sprayers but they start at $160 and go up into $2k range. 

Reckon if any of you were to stop by my sawmill tomorrow you'll find me rolling kelly green anchorseal onto the ends of oak lawgs
Boy, back in my day..

red

Wallpaper paste brushes 6 in and 12 inch put a big flat tray under log
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

YellowHammer

I use a Graco power sprayer, extremely fast, but have to be near 110v ac. It'll put it on thick, and works great for spraying entire packs of lumber, either stickered or dead stacked. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

AlaskaLes

Yellowhammer,
Somehow, I'm not surprised that you are the one with the production plan... 8)
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

red

He iş our Research and Development Department

WDH

Ask Jake.  He said he found a small sprayer that worked better than sliced bread (old saying).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kbeitz

For anything heavy I use a under coat gun.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

tnaz

Why can't you drill your sprayer tip out a little at a time until it sprays the way you like?  Depending on thickness of sealant, use torch tip cleaners and make larger??

Just a thought.

Brad_bb

Yeah, not sure I understand the problems you're having.  A typical garden sprayer you unscrew the pump and pull it out.  Then you fill the tank with Anchorseal.  Examine the tip your sprayer has.  I chose one that came with a few different tips/orifice sizes and chose a bigger one.  Some anchor seal will dry on the tip, but I just take my knife and scrape it and in 2 seconds I'm spraying.  Watch my video and you can see how it comes out.  It's convenient for me to store and apply it with the garden sprayer.  You do brush it in.  I keep the brush in a cup of water.
https://youtu.be/x8a-uY-IVMQ
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

4x4American

The sprayer I got, it don't fill up easy for some reason...you take the pump out and pour it in and it fills up that little shaft and comes out the top then have to plunge it down in  :snowball:

I don't think if I drilled out the sprayer tip it would spray any better, just more volume.  It may be due to the cold weather?  It comes out like ketchup does.  It's also Anchorseal II so it may be a different viscosity or something. 
Boy, back in my day..

Kbeitz

Kinda sounds like you need to unscrew a second part of your sprayer.
The plunger is not the place to fill it up. 
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

customsawyer

My sprayer is different as it only holds about a quart or so but they work well. The thing I like about them is that when you are finished you can turn it upside down and blow air through it and it keeps it from clogging the tip. I have to finish mine off with a brush also.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

4x4American

Quote from: Kbeitz on October 16, 2016, 06:22:22 AM

That is what I was thinking I was doing wrong, but I don't see any way to get that thing out short of a sledge hammer, 24" water pump pliers, and a cliff.

Boy, back in my day..

OneWithWood

I apply anchorseal with a 4" trim roller.  I put the anchorseal in an empty gallon plastic ice cream container.  Hold the container under the log end if there is space, apply sealer, catch excess as it drips off the log.  Once you get a system going there actually is very little run off.  When finished I wrap the roller in a plastic bag, put the cover on the ice cream bucket and set it aside until the next time it is needed.  I have had sealer and roller remain usable for months doing this.  No need to brush the sealer out and it all takes minimum time.
The only down side to my methodology is that should I break one of the buckets I have to go out and buy another gallon of ice cream. ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Kbeitz

Quote from: OneWithWood on October 16, 2016, 11:48:07 AM
I apply anchorseal with a 4" trim roller.  I put the anchorseal in an empty gallon plastic ice cream container.  Hold the container under the log end if there is space, apply sealer, catch excess as it drips off the log.  Once you get a system going there actually is very little run off.  When finished I wrap the roller in a plastic bag, put the cover on the ice cream bucket and set it aside until the next time it is needed.  I have had sealer and roller remain usable for months doing this.  No need to brush the sealer out and it all takes minimum time.
The only down side to my methodology is that should I break one of the buckets I have to go out and buy another gallon of ice cream. ;D

I think we could help you dispose of your Ice cream...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

YellowHammer

Quote from: 4x4American on October 16, 2016, 08:50:09 AM
Quote from: Kbeitz on October 16, 2016, 06:22:22 AM

That is what I was thinking I was doing wrong, but I don't see any way to get that thing out short of a sledge hammer, 24" water pump pliers, and a cliff.

I don't know, but I think a bonfire would open it up a little..... :D
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

red

A bonfire is a cure for many problems

Brian C.

A bonfire has a very calming effect. Good conversation and cold beer......especially the beer.

4x4American

Well boys, I done figured out the answer to my conundrum, and I have to say it's simple, clean, quick, and effective.  Anyone have any guesses while I upload the pictures?
Boy, back in my day..

YellowHammer

I vote bonfire, or you cut it open with your sawmill.....
YellowHammerisms:

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

I just spritzed it on.  I went into the garage to get a paint brush and roller, when I happened to see a spritz bottle and I threw that in my truck as well.  As it turns out I didn't need to use the brush or roller.  I coated both ends of 7 smaller diameter logs in one bottle in maybe 10 min.  The only problem I had was the head sucking it up the tube, for the first while it bounced back quick, but then it would take a second for the plunger to bounce back.  I'm gonna try and find a spritzer with a bigger straw I think that would help.  But even still it beat painting it on, and I had hardly any waste.  I don't wanna break my arm patting myself on the back, but I'm pretty much a big hero on account of this.   ;D
Boy, back in my day..

tnaz

I'm pretty much a big hero on account of this.   ;D

You are MY HERO 4x4. :D :D :D

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

WDH

Don't get Jake started on bonfires.  That boy can make a bonfire.  When you stoke one with a front end loader with slabs from the grapple, you can make quite the conflagration. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Engineer

I've never had a lot of logs to do, so I've always used just cheap 2" or 3" chip brushes.  Leave 'em right in the bucket and wear nitril gloves.

OffGrid973

HF has a 4" roller with tray and extra rollers for almost nothing. Little tin foil in tray, and you can coat all your log ends in a few minutes keeping tray clean.

Saving every drop and 30 min of extra work vs. rolling on like crazy , the math makes it an choice easy for me. Plus I heard grass likes the taste of anchor seal, could just be a rumor.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

4x4American

Do what you want, I dont wanna be carrying 5 things at once and trying to keep the roller wet and all that, I like that spritzer, I only have to carry one thing and no mess and its fast and accurate
Boy, back in my day..

Kbeitz

Quote from: 4x4American on October 17, 2016, 05:45:56 PM
Do what you want, I dont wanna be carrying 5 things at once and trying to keep the roller wet and all that, I like that spritzer, I only have to carry one thing and no mess and its fast and accurate

So.... Where does one buy a spritzer bottle ?
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

4x4American

Any general store, I got this Zep one from the Zep guy who came to our shop, I believe, or maybe Lowe's/Home Depot, I know that I bought one, and got the other for free at work after my boss bought some Zep degreaser and that hand soap. Prolly the Wal Mart has some...it's a spritzer bottle, they're a dime a dozen!  I wouldn't get anything less than a commercial one though. 
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!