iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

setting up my sawmill

Started by sandsawmill14, October 13, 2016, 10:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandsawmill14

well i think we will like the new setup when we get used to it :) right now everything is bass ackwards to what we are used to but far as working everything worked pretty good :) the only problem we had was the  loader driver not lining the logs up straight and missing the loader arms a time or 3 ::) but when everyone gets used to it i think it will be great :) also i dont have the log deck wired yet so we are still rolling by hand till sat and i will finish it up :) but yesterday we sawed 23 ties and roughly 600bdft of lumber in about 7 hrs and today we cut 29 ties and about 900 bdft of lumber in 6 hrs so we are gaining on it thats still only roughly 350 bdft per hr but i think after a week or 2 we can get over 400 average pretty easy and maybe end up between 450-500 bdft per hr which i would be happy with ;D  but we will have to wait and see :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Peter Drouin

Hope your new setup works for you. Nice pile of logs in the pic,
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

sandsawmill14

thanks peter  :) i think the setup is gonna be ok i just wish we had more room for the lumber  :)

Peter Drouin

Room, No room?
In the pic it looks like you're in a big flat spot. :D
I have no room with all the hills I have.

A&P saw Mill LLC.

sandsawmill14

you look a little crowded to :D  our spot is pretty flat and probably about 6-8 acres but there is also a scrag mill and a brewco resaw set up on the same yard and at least 15 loads of ties and lumber waiting to be hauled plus the logs which takes most of the room there is about a 100 loads right know i would guess and they are bringing in 6-8 loads a day and sometimes as many as 15  :o it will be  real crowed till the weather gets wet or till on close to spring and they will cut back on buying for a week or 2 to let us work through the old logs before the weather breaks and it all start over again  :)

Peter Drouin

So you're cutting for a big mill like Jake,
A&P saw Mill LLC.

sandsawmill14

yep  :)  i saw the logs that are to big for the scrag as it can only saw 22-23" max sometimes when i get caught up i will saw tie logs but normally everything i saw is 24+ :)

hacknchop

Looking good  8) Let me know when your hiring pillars.  :D
Often wrong never indoubt

4x4American

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on October 21, 2016, 07:24:39 AM
yep  :)  i saw the logs that are to big for the scrag as it can only saw 22-23" max sometimes when i get caught up i will saw tie logs but normally everything i saw is 24+ :)

Man, I wish!  I'm lucky if I get a 15" hardwood log around here
Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

it is nice to saw into a 30+" red oak or maple butt log and see whats in it ;) :) we are blessed with pretty good timber most of the time :)

Peter Drouin

That sounds like a good deal you have going sandsawmill14.   8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

sandsawmill14

it is steady :) i have been out of logs 1 time and that was for 3 days :o and i have been there for 2 years this month  ;D  but it does have it problems just like any other mill but having logs has not been one of them yet :D :D :D

4x4American

I've still been trying to get in with one of these sawmills but none of them will give me the time of day
Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

you have got to do something they either cant do or dont want to do and be able to do it cheap enough for them to make a little money on it :) and that is not always possible  :-\ i will saw twice as many bdft per year as most bandmills and make 1/2 as much money  BUT i just have to get up go to work and saw  ;D none of the head aches of trying to keep logs or find markets which is really hard right now for low grade stuff which is most of it ::)   but i would rather have less money and less headaches  ;) and since there is always more logs than i can saw there wont be a 1/2 dozen days a year i have to try and finish up a load or something to make me work a day that i had rather be fishing  ;D :D :D :D  long as my wallet can stand it i work when i want to a dont when i dont want to :)

on a side note
i have lost out on the total footage for this guy but i should pass 1,000,000 bdft in mid december with the b20 ( good Lord willing) but i wont know for sure till i do taxes in jan then i can say for sure  :)

customsawyer

Wasn't you sawing some smaller pine awhile back?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

sandsawmill14

Quote from: customsawyer on October 22, 2016, 07:16:53 AM
Wasn't you sawing some smaller pine awhile back?
yep but only about 40 mbdft  and  we sawed about 75 mbdft of cottonwood while back too but its rare the only way he buys stuff like that is from 1 logger. that logger at the time was bringing 30-35 loads a week and those few would be on a clearcut job so we would take just to make it easy on him and to keep him happy  ;) we still have about 25 mbdft of the cotton wood piled up there  :o it would have been cheaper if we just burned the logs when we got them :D :D :D

sandsawmill14

i will also saw maybe 10-12 mbdft of erc a year to but the vast majority of my sawing is rr ties and they are mostly mixed wood :)

sandsawmill14

sorry guys i got confused in the math early this morning :-[ its roughly 25 mbdft instead of 50 mbdft on the cottonwood  :-[ there is between 500 and 600 7x9 cants left and for some reason i came up with 50 earlier  ::)  but i went back and edited the post so it is more accurate  :-[ ;D :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!