iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small dog herds big sheep in pasture culture...getting sheep to eat brush.

Started by gaproperty, October 13, 2016, 04:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaproperty

Pasturing sheep to get them to clean u brush has been working for my sister and her son.  Kinda funny that they have a Shih Tzu as a trained sheep dog. You should see this little bugger work the sheep. https://youtu.be/8ojsl44UiKo

Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Seaman

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Ianab

Ex had a small terrier that would herd cattle like that, As long as it didn't get lost in the long grass.  Well actually that only slowed it down, it would sort of bounce along appearing at random spots, which freaks the cattle out even more.

Funniest one I have seen is a couple of dairy cows we where grazing as part of a holdover herd. That's cows that where still young and healthy, but not in calf that season for some reason. We would graze them out on our hill country farm for the season, get them in calf and send them back to owner next year.

Anyway, this mob had a couple of "cows" that had figured  out they could face down a cattle dog, and not suffer any consequences. So Sharon's big loud cattle dog (who was a real wimp) didn't phase them at all. All bark and no bite. After a few bad words being muttered she gets on the quad bike, and goes and get her border collie. The cows try the same trick, and wham, there's a border collie latched on her nose.   :D Last seen heading for the hills with the dog snapping at their tails.

One word from Sharon and the dog's back at heel. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sandsawmill14

we had a border collie that was like that when i was a kid we would used him to catch the horses when they didnt want to come to the barn  :) he was almost to bad though you could bet on him getting blood on at least one of them if you had to use him  :) we never had a red or blue heeler that was that rough or that good with horses the heelers almost always got kicked but the collie never did but he bit high up on the hip above the rear knee and usually got a little blood  :-\ but on the bright side after a couple of months you could go to get them and if they didnt want to go you could yell sport (that was the dogs name) and they would head for the barn at a high lope whether the dog was with you or not :D :D :D after that we only had to use him when we would get a new horse who didnt know the rules yet ;)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sandsawmill14

that was the ram so probably to control breeding  :) but im not sure :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Dave Shepard

Most dogs that do that would get shot. At least with a trained dog you have control.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

rjwoelk

We had the Marama kuvaz cross guard dogs when we had sheep, then after the sheep were gone they guarded the horses. The young foals whould muzzel the dogs and let them lick their noses. There was one mare they did not trust and kept  clear of her.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Ljohnsaw

We had quarter horses that we would put out on the pasture during the day.  Sometimes they would come in on their own, especially if they heard us put grain in a bucket.  When they didn't, we could calmly say "round em up" and our mixed boarder collie mutt would make a lightening fast pass that usually got them going.  If not, we'd say it again and she would make a closer pass and maybe get a nip in.

Had another dog that was a Queensland x Skipperkey (boat rat dog) cross.  She had the markings (black and white) but no brains.  Loved to chase the horses and was kicked in the head numerous times (you could hear the crack!), but always went back for more.

Our last pure boarder collie was super smart and was always watching me to see where I was looking and wanted her to go.  Unfortunately, she was on the smaller side and the horses didn't seem to fear her enough.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Seaman on October 14, 2016, 06:54:46 AM
David, did it make you nervous just watching?
Frank

No, but my blood pressure went up a few digits.  :D

thecfarm

I would be more concerned about the burlap bag.  :D 
I always threated the rubber band treatment on ya.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on October 14, 2016, 09:02:15 PM
I would be more concerned about the burlap bag.  :D 
I always threated the rubber band treatment on ya.  :D

running-doggy

Thank You Sponsors!