iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What do you think of this bent design?

Started by JBW, October 13, 2016, 03:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBW

Just curious how you all feel about this bent design. My main interest is that of the different heights on the sides. I have never seen a bent built like this. Do you see a problem? The post are 8x8 pine, top grade very tight grain.  Thanks!   

Heartwood

JBW,
The whole left side of the roof is doomed to fail, in my opinion. I don't know what your loads are, but you have an 8' cantilever on the left post, probably a 5-6' cantilever on the tie, and a low pitched roof with no ridge support. The outward thrust on that side of the roof is substantial, and nothing to hold it in except a joint on the tie to rafter that no pegs can resist, and the cantilever on the tie and/or the post would fail as well. Please consider consulting with an engineer.

Roger Nair

I agree with Will, get a consulting engineer with experience in TF design.  I would add it's not really possible to make a thorough judgment on a single bent elevation, so much is missing, such as, framing plan views for first and second floors, roof plans, joint schedule and connections.  The engineer should spec a foundation and footing plan. 

My gut reactions is to reevaluate the framing plan and get a direct load path from roof to foundation in the building core otherwise you'll have a destructive force generator, especially with high posted weakly tied buildings.  Remember, force amplifies when roof systems subside from deflection.

Get help. 
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

Ox

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!