iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Max trailer load width?

Started by Qweaver, October 09, 2016, 08:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

we are transporting 3 ATVs to Colorado.  They are about 10' long and at least one of them must go on sideways to make them fit on our 25' trailer.  Will we be legal?  I thought 8'6" was the limit.  Is it easy to get a permit?  We are leaving Wednesday.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Gearbox

You can not permit a devisable load in any state that I know of . Three wheelers will be a no go . you hit the freeway some driver is going to dial his cell phone .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Qweaver

These 4 wheelers are side by side like a Gator and are about 5'wide by 10' long.  We can get them on my 25' trailer only if we put one of them side-ways.  I pulled a 10' wide boat from Lake Erie to WV one time.  I did not know it was that wide until the owner told me AFTER we got it back here.  Just lucky I guess.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

scsmith42

Quinton, the max width in all states w/o an oversize permit is 8'6".  You would have to get a permit for each state in order to be legal.  Can you ramp them so that the front end of one is above the back end of the one in front of it, or put them on the trailer at a slant?
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: scsmith42 on October 09, 2016, 10:48:41 PM
Quinton, the max width in all states w/o an oversize permit is 8'6".  You would have to get a permit for each state in order to be legal.  Can you ramp them so that the front end of one is above the back end of the one in front of it, or put them on the trailer at a slant?
I see that quite often out here, especially when they are going up to Nevada to play in the sand and they have one for everybody!  Not sure how they can do it, but I sometimes see them standing a couple on end in the back of a pickup!  Seems like the fuel and oil would want to run out :o
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Qweaver

In years past I often pulled two trailers behind my 3/4 ton van from Texas to WV.  They were wired properly and there was only a small portion of one state that was questionable.  I passed a lot of police on those trips and never had a problem.  The rear trailer never had brakes so I was not totally legal.  This may be the solution but it's a lot of work to get the trailers ready and they need to leave Wednesday.  It is also tricky getting in and out of gas stations with that rig.  And don't even think of backing  up very far.
Quinton

Chuck White

If there isn't a high rail around the trailer, it might be possible to move the front wheeler forward of the trailer deck, out onto the hitch a little.

Not a cure-all, but it might gain you a few feet.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Qweaver

OK  Problem solved.  One of the ATVs is just under 8'6" with the bed removed and is narrow enough to fit  in the remaining space.  The bed is easy to remove so they are set to go.  I like Elk but it is cheaper to buy Fillet steak that to go to Colorado and hope to shoot an Elk.

Kbeitz

We pick up the front wheels and set them on the rack on the back of the
one in the front.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

21incher

In NY 102" vehicles or trailers are only allowed on roads with lanes that are over 10 ft wide in both directions.  Be sure that you have the correct lights on the trailer for 102" wide loads.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

ozarkgem

Here anything under 12' just needs a wide load sign. No permit. According to a  trooper friend of mine.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

sawguy21

Quote from: Qweaver on October 10, 2016, 01:02:17 AM
In years past I often pulled two trailers behind my 3/4 ton van from Texas to WV.  They were wired properly and there was only a small portion of one state that was questionable.  I passed a lot of police on those trips and never had a problem.  The rear trailer never had brakes so I was not totally legal.  This may be the solution but it's a lot of work to get the trailers ready and they need to leave Wednesday.  It is also tricky getting in and out of gas stations with that rig.  And don't even think of backing  up very far.
Quinton
That setup sure would not get far here ;D.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Qweaver

They just loaded it at 9'6" wide and made it out there with no problems.  I would have unbolted that bed to be legal. Just 2 bolts.  They have 3 elk as of last night.  I'm deer hunting in Ohio but the trigger on my cross bow quit working so I'm done til the bow comes back from BowFlex...glad a bib buck did not walk up and me unable to pull the trigger.  I may borrow my Uncles til then.

wndwlkr65

102" that includes straps or chains or boomers to be legal.

Qweaver

The hunters made it back with no tickets but to my surprise all four tires went bad and had to be replaced.  The trailer is 5 years old.  I have never had good luck with trailer tires and I use the same 10 ply tires that are on my pickup when I replace or build a trailer.  I know it's not recommended but it works for me.

scsmith42

Quote from: Qweaver on October 23, 2016, 10:54:15 PM
The hunters made it back with no tickets but to my surprise all four tires went bad and had to be replaced.  The trailer is 5 years old.  I have never had good luck with trailer tires and I use the same 10 ply tires that are on my pickup when I replace or build a trailer.  I know it's not recommended but it works for me.

I too have had poor luck with most brands / types of trailer tires.  Carlyle seem to be very popular around here, and I've had really poor results with them.

At present, I use Maxiss Commercial LT tires on most of my trailers (and Michelin LTX on one horse trailer).  So far no failures in about 3 years of use on multiple trailers.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Magicman

Maxxis tires are one of the best on today's market.  The worst enemy of trailer tires is improper/inadequate inflation.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

Guess I need to see what I have on my trailer. I bet they are 20 years old and still going strong
except for one that was drove on flat. It could not take that.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sandhills

We have an old JD grain drill I'm guessing would have been new back in the early fifties, up until a few years ago it still had both original tires/tubes on it, it still has one set.  It's amazing how heavy the tubes are on it compared to the junk you get today and the drill still gets used every year.

Qweaver

Had this trailer just been used for local trips the tires may have lasted for years to come.  But this was a 1600 mile each way fully loaded at freeway speed trip.  All four failed.  Common for me with trailer tires. 

Thank You Sponsors!