iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

few questions about swapin chain pitch and premix oil on a MS261 C-M

Started by Rex Renolds, October 09, 2016, 03:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex Renolds

hey guys,

just picked up a new MS261 a few days ago and had a few questions.

A buddy of mine has a couple Stihl bars (16" and 18") that he says will fit the 261 but they are 3/8 pitch bars supposedly. (not sure what saw they came off) I've read that a few guys are running 3/8 chain on these saws with acceptable results.  It sounds like all I would have to do is swap the stock .325 rim gear to a 3/8th rim gear.  is this correct?  If so what spline size would be needed for a 3/8th rim gear on a 261? do I stay with a 7 tooth or do I need to change tooth count when swapping to the 3/8th pitch? 

also are the rim gears gauge specific? I'm not sure if the bars he has are .050 or .063 gauge.

my last question is about premix oil, I run a product called dumonde tech at 50:1 in my 2 stroke dirt bikes. the oil is a fully synthetic and is a little spendy so im guessing it is quality stuff.  I always have at least 5 gallons of fuel mixed up with it and was wondering if it would be ok to run in the saw?   I read in the manual for the saw to only use oil made for air-cooled engines.  is that really necessary?  my bikes are not air-cooled so the dumonde tech is not specifically made for air-cooled engines.   I didn't even realize they made premix oil specifically for air-cooled engines.

thanks
       -Rex

dougand3

Welcome.
Stihl 0000 642 1231 looks to be 3/8 7T rim sprocket. I think they call it a mini. Double check this. You can see size of your .325 rim and match it in 3/8. Rim will take any gauge.
The 3 matches - rim sprocket, bar sprocket, chain pitch - all should be 3/8.
Water cooled TCW-3 oil and Air cooled JASO-FD oil are different. Air cooled running much hotter. Will your water cooled oil lube well enough? You may wear piston, ring, cylinder, crank more quickly and need an engine overhaul. Or you may get by with it. I stay with air cooled oil. Now, I have good runners Mac 3.7 and Mac 10-10 that have probably seen 30Wt motor oil at 32:1 in their lives. But now they run Lucas Semi-Syn at 40:1. It's only $9 a quart and I don't have to think much.

Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

sawguy21

The rims are not gauge specific. The 3/8 chain is more aggressive so will work the saw harder. I had a few customers try it on the MS260 but switched back. One was on a 24" bar  ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

These 3/8 b/c run on these MS261 are not standard 3/8".
They are low profile Picco pitch. 63PS chain which is a chisel tooth Picco cutter.
MS241 and MS261 have this optional b/c setup with a 7 Tooth mini 7 spline bore rim sprocket. Very fast cutting setup.

I'm away on our Canadian Thanksgiving holiday so don't have the part #'s on hand. But I did post them on here on previous posts.
Run Stihl Ultra full synthetic mix oil.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

Rex Renolds

wow! that looks like a great deal! are these kits even available in the states or only in Canada? can you guys still get them there?

-Rex

HolmenTree

Kits are only available  in Canada as far as I know. Those 3 loops of chain are the yellow 63PS Picco chains which are not always easily available in the US.

sawguy21

I assumed he was talking about standard 3/8 chain. It would be interesting to run the Picco and .325 side by side.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

I've compared various .325 chains against the 63PS Picco chain. Most notably the narrow kerf Oregon 95VPX chain
On my little 39cc Husqvarna 338XPT saw the Stihl 3/8 63PS Picco chain proved to be the fastest most productive. Also thanks to the extra torque of the 6 Tooth spur sprocket.

Here's a comparison of the 2 chains. The chisel Picco is new and the semi chisel .325NK Oregon is filed back to 1/3. The new Picco still out cut the Oregon.

HolmenTree

I have a question for Rex

Rex, is your new MS261 the new edition 2016 model or the older 2015 and older model?
I sure like the looks and reports of the latest model. Easily identified with the new sprocket cover with the raised wear pads. The cylinder is laid back more then the older models. Same angle as the Husqvarna 562XP.

I'm seriously looking into getting one with heated carb and handles.

HolmenTree

Rex, here is a picture of what the sprocket cover looks like. Also notice the extra laid back cylinder.

This is not a picture of a MS261, it's actually a much larger displacement prototype saw.
I actually had to take a picture of it off my old phone. But the 2016 MS261 has this same design with the one piece top cover etc.
These pics have been on my old phone for a couple of years.

Thank You Sponsors!