iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying Logs

Started by Evonne, October 08, 2016, 08:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evonne

Embarrassed to ask this question but I'm totally new to this and had 20 large trees (cedar and fir) cut down on my property and stacked in a pile.  I will cover them with a tarp but not sure how long they have to dry before I call someone to mill them.

plowboyswr

No need to be embarrassed. We all had to start somewhere. The answer that everyone will give is that no waiting is necessary if you are going to saw them for lumber. But depending on what you use the lumber for on whether or not you have to dry it first. Don't forget to add your location to your profile it helps when you have area specific questions. Also the search key in the upper right hand corner can be one of the best resources here. If ya can't find it that way ask. ;D
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Evonne

Thank you! I'm on the Sunshine Coast near Vancouver, BC.  I appreciate your reply.

sandsawmill14

x2 on sawing logs green and drying the lumber if you use requires it :) that way you will have no degrade or bugs(if they are a problem up there ??? ) :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

PC-Urban-Sawyer

And DON'T put a tarp on the pile, it will make the pile act like a green house, collecting moisture and things will go sour on you very fast.

Instead, get the logs milled into lumber, get the green lumber stacked and stickered properly to promote good air drying, cover the top of the stacks with old roofing tin or other material, leaving an air gap.

Herb

scsmith42

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on October 09, 2016, 11:38:23 AM
And DON'T put a tarp on the pile, it will make the pile act like a green house, collecting moisture and things will go sour on you very fast.

Instead, get the logs milled into lumber, get the green lumber stacked and stickered properly to promote good air drying, cover the top of the stacks with old roofing tin or other material, leaving an air gap.

Herb

What Herb said.

Wood dries very poorly in log form.  To end up with the best lumber, mill it as soon as possible after felling the logs, and properly stack and sticker the boards where they can get adequate air flow for drying yet be protected from rain, snow and UV rays.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!