iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor Woes

Started by Magicman, October 07, 2016, 09:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhills

I've been running our grain auger the last 2 days with dad's '41 JD A, it was his first tractor.  The poor thing has been burnt up twice and we still use it for odd jobs all year, someday when my ship comes in (haha) I'd like to get it redone for him, they just don't make them like they used too  :)

Kbeitz

I fix a lot of rusted old fuel tanks.
I dump old battery acid in the tanks and shake it around.
Then rinse with baking soda and water.
Then I silver solder any holes.
Then I coat the inside of the tanks with a product call Red Coat.
The acid will remove any rust and dirt from the inside and make your tank shine.
Red Coat will seal any pin holes and put a glass like coat inside your tank.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

I have heard good reports about that "inside coating" product, and thankfully, mine was not rusted.  It had worn through from rubbing the frame.  I added the brass patches to strengthen and thicken the tank wall at the rubbed spot.  The gasket material replaced what the factory used and should provide tank protection for many years.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

That tank sealer is common in the aviation world. Drain the tank, pour in a couple of gallons of sealer, go fly and do a few "unusual maneuvers" , then drain out the excess. Usually called sloshing compound. Beats trying to patch an aluminum tank.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

My tractor woes began on October 7th and little did I know that they would continue through today.  The fuel tank leak fixed that leak but unknowing to me, there were others.  With the tank ½ full of fuel there was no leak but I discovered that the fuel sending unit was leaking when fuel got above it.  OK, fixed that and yesterday I topped off the tank.  Again, fuel leaked, so the tank had to come out of the tractor again.  I knew that whatever it was was (Tom) about ½ up the tank.

I sprayed it down with brake cleaner and found this!  About a 1½" long fracture and thinking back, I know when it happened and it was several years ago.  I hit a tree and decided to build that funky looking bumper for the front not knowing that I had cracked the tank.

Thankfully I have an Ox/Acet rig at the farm so I did some brazing.  ;D

How many times have I filled that tank full and spent the day bushhogging and leaking Diesel?  Anyway it is fixed now.

The funky bumper that I mentioned.  :D

Oh, and just to keep the woes going.....

Yup, another flat.  Another gift from the land of the Honey Locust.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andy White

Lynn,
Just a little bump in the road 0f life for you!  A little work for a long lasting hard working old tractor. It looks ready to drag more logs and plant more food plots. Great to see these old timers still on the job ,,, and the tractor too!!!      Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

petefrom bearswamp

Honey locust there, Thorn apple here.
Took my atv tire to the tire shop for a fairly major hole a few years ago, had slime in the tire but the hole was too big.
The tire guy cursed me when he dismounted it and had to clean the slime out.
Fixed the hole remounted and put it in the water tank.
Bubbles everywhere from pin holes made by those dang thorns.
Slime took care of them tho.
swapped my 1967 4020 10 yrs ago for my brand new 85 hp Kubota so no more old iron problems.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

You are a bad man Andy.  ;)  It's also very uplifting to see you up and going again.  Maybe your woes are behind you too.   :)

Pete, so you are saying that Kubotas don't get flat tires??   ???

paul case

Most generally when I get the second ''problem'' fixed my tire is flat again.

The thing with them thorns is it is really hard to get them all. I usually have to draw some blood by rubbing my hand on the inside of the tire. A lot.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

pineywoods

Thorns in tires, a real thorny problem.  ;D The nasty part is the ones that are broken off in the tire but not penetrating all the way through. Every time the tire flexes, they work a little deeper, finally puncturing the tube, maybe months or years after you ran over the limb. PERMANENT FIX...Genesco and maybe others, sell surplus 16 ply aircraft tires mounted on a rim to match your tractor and then filled with hi density foam.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ox

They sell kevlar thorn shields for bicycle wheels I know.  Do they sell for larger wheels/tires?  It's just a liner that goes between the tire and tube.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kbeitz

No one in our area will touch a tire that has been fixed with slime.
I don't blame them. I wont put one on my tire machine.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

tree-farmer

Fyi, kubota sells some really nice tractors. Love mine after 7 yrs. Keep the old one for fun but life is to short to fight equipment repairs all the time, jist my 2 cents  ;D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Kbeitz on December 31, 2016, 04:06:21 PM
No one in our area will touch a tire that has been fixed with slime.
I don't blame them. I wont put one on my tire machine.

Yeah, it's messy, but sometimes you don't have a choice. If my tire shop refused a tire with slime,  I'd get a new tire shop, and suggest they find a job that doesn't rumple their skirts.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Quote from: pineywoods on December 31, 2016, 11:27:22 AMPERMANENT FIX...Genesco and maybe others, sell surplus 16 ply aircraft tires mounted on a rim to match your tractor and then filled with hi density foam. 
running-doggy When I clicked on the price I started running and have not slowed down yet.  :o 

GAB

Quote from: tree-farmer on December 31, 2016, 05:36:11 PM
Fyi, kubota sells some really nice tractors. Love mine after 7 yrs. Keep the old one for fun but life is to short to fight equipment repairs all the time, jist my 2 cents  ;D

When you say repairs, I know exactly what you are talking about.
I have a 1957 JD 420 and a JD 950 and both of them need work.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!