iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Observation hive

Started by coalsmok, October 07, 2016, 08:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coalsmok

I had a small hive make a queen rather late. There isn't enough time left for them to build up stores for the winter so I made this to bring them inside where I can feed them till spring. It's going in my daughters bedroom, she is telling everyone I'm putting bees in her room.

Bark Beetle

You don't work wood, you work with wood.

David Freed

That's neat. Someone not too far from me has one of those. It's very interesting to watch the bees work.

LaneC

It sounds like you are putting bees in her room :D :D. I hope they make it. Are they Italians?
Man makes plans and God smiles

thecfarm

Nice!!!
Would it "bee" too much of a bother to post weekly pictures? Or whatever time frame? I've seen them at fairs,but nothing that I could keep track of what they was building.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coalsmok

Yes they are going into her room.
There isn't going to be much to see as far as building this late. They have enough built to fill this hive but not enough to survive on.
The bees are local mutts that seem to do well for the folks that pay attention to making sure they have winter stores.

21incher

That came out great. Do you run a tube outside for them to remain active, or just seal it up and feed them? :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

coalsmok

There is a tube to the outside.  After a few revisions to the hive and building a mounting bracket it is ready.  Weather permitting I will put the bees in it and post pics tomorrow.

coalsmok

Here is a pic of the hive in place and of the occupants. Transferred them over this morning while it was cool out and they were not to many out flying.

AlaskaLes

Pretty cool stuff Coalsmok!
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lowpolyjoe

coxy

that's neat thank for the pics

coalsmok

Here is a pic of her highness and her attendants.  All this work to try to keep her alive until the spring.

thecfarm

You know how to keep your woman happy.

5quarter

They look...determined.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have to sleep with 1 eye open.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

coalsmok

The boys pulled the tube to the outside out the first day it was in the house. I thought that keeping my woman happpy would involve evicting these women and appropriate gifts of good will.  Turns out she likes to watch them work as well.  Our daughter loves to watch them and they seem to be a hit with most people that come to the house.

Thank You Sponsors!