iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

good price for a used ezboardwalk jr

Started by sandpig, October 07, 2016, 06:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandpig

newbie help.

I am looking at a used ezboardwalk jr.  The owner says it's a couple years old, and low hours mill for sale.  The asking price is almost the price of a new one without the shipping cost.

Just wondering do mills lose their value like a car or hold it pretty good.  I am looking to buy my first mill and don't like to pay more than I can sell it for down the road. 

Thanks for any help. 

ChugiakTinkerer

Welcome to the forum!  If you update your profile to reflect your location, folks may be able to offer more relevant advice.

Some folks' asking price may be twice their rock bottom price.  Have a look in the Sawmill Exchange (forum sponsor linked on the left of this page) and you will get an idea of how well sawmills hold on to their original retail value.  With few exceptions, I would not be willing to pay more than 75% of retail for used equipment no longer under warranty.  I was looking at the very few used sawmills on the market in Alaska and in my observation Woodmizer retains its value better than many other brands.  My opinion, based on limited data, so judge it accordingly.
Woodland Mills HM130

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, sandpig!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

tnaz

Another welcome SANDPIG.  I can't help with your question.  I just don't see the value of used mill's.

That's just me,

Terry

Ox

Maybe contact EZ Boardwalk themselves and see if the price is in line or not.  Sawmill manufacturers seem to be a pretty friendly bunch, especially toward their own mills.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

sandpig

Thanks for the welcome Ox, Tnaz, Chuck,ChugiakTinkerer, 

I will look into updating my profile.  I feel 75% is fair a few people I have talked to are wanting to recoup their shipping and other fee's of buying the mill new.  Just figure that isn't something to pass on but can't blame them for trying. 

If this mill doesn't work out Ill keep my eye out.  Btw I am north east Georgia Ill try to make sure my profile reflects.

sawmilllawyer

Welcome to the forum. Lots of knowledge here about sawmills and prices. Some more should be coming along shortly.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

paul case

I am with you on the about 75%. If it is in new condition, however the used sawmill market I have found is a little better than that. I had an ez boardwalk model 40 that I bought new and sold when it was 3 years old and had 500 hours. It wasnt hurt at all. It was $6500 new and I sold it for $5000. It would have to be some cheaper than new or else you should just go new, right?

Welcome to the forum. I hope you get a saw that makes you happy. I was pleased with my EZ Boardwalk!

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

sandpig

Thanks for the input I think he is asking too much for it.  Its a 4300 mill new he is asking 4000 the mill comes with 10 blades but only 2 are new unused blades.  He said he thinks the mill only has 20 or so hours on it but that would be some heavy blade changing to use 8 blades in 20 hours.  He said he just used the mill to cut slabs to use for turning bowls.  It looks new due to being kept under a tin roof and has 2 cant hooks.  This is the second mill I have looked at the owner wanted to recoup the shipping cost I can't say I have ever put that into the price of something I have sold but can't blame him for trying. 

I plan to go look at it if nothing else I will get to see and touch the mill in person to see if its a mill Id like to purchase. 

I agree the 75% sounds fair I don't ask for anything for free I just am not a man who over pays need to stretch a dollar where you can. 

sandsawmill14

i would never give over 70-75% of new price for something that was used  :) you had might as well get a new one if you go any higher than that imo then  you have a warranty (for what its worth) and all the customer support you could need and if your are new to milling thats worth quite a bit :) again just my 2 cents :) but i buy older stuff with lower hours  :) it takes some looking and maybe a long haul home but you can buy for more like 30-40% of new price :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Thank You Sponsors!