iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Surf and Turf WV Style

Started by WV Sawmiller, October 07, 2016, 12:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Started out the day taking up my catfish lines off Bluestone Lake. Caught 54 lbs of catfish with one 22-1/2 lb flathead.

Came home, cleaned fish, ate a quick lunch cleaned and put up the boat and went bow hunting about 4:30 pm. At 6:00 a couple of grown does came out by my shooting house. All I had seen to date had been yearlings including a 3" spike I had passed on as not worth the tag. The second doe was real spooky and stomping foot and alert to me I guess so I wanted to remove her from the gene pool. (I greatly prefer to leave the dumbest ones to improve my future hunting chances) She passed along a trail about 15 yards behind and below me and when she stepped behind a poplar I drew and when she stepped out I tried my new carbon arrow. She took off down the hill and the young doe was running around not knowing what was going on. I packed up, went and changed card in my game camera and started looking for a blood trail Never found any but trailed the kicked up dry leaves and bone dry dirt for about 40 yards till I found my arrow. Then 20-30 yards further I spotted her white belly at the bottom of the holler (a deep draw for the less sophisticated readers). Only blood I saw was under her. I did hit a little further back and slightly higher than I meant but still in the kill zone. Had quartered out behind her right ribs.

Dragged her down to the pasture, walked back up to other holler and got my ATV and came and got her. Took her to my skinning rack and she weighed 130 lbs live weight (I never field dress them as so close to home only a few minutes till I have them in the air and easier to skin intact).

Long tiring but productive day. Pictures are in wife's camera I'll try to add later. And first time I have tried the carbon vs aluminum arrows in my 65 lb compound bow. No complaints with first test.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on October 07, 2016, 12:16:43 AM
   Started out the day taking up my catfish lines off Bluestone Lake. Caught 54 lbs of catfish with one 22-1/2 lb flathead.

Came home, cleaned fish, ate a quick lunch cleaned and put up the boat and went bow hunting about 4:30 pm. At 6:00 a couple of grown does came out by my shooting house. All I had seen to date had been yearlings including a 3" spike I had passed on as not worth the tag. The second doe was real spooky and stomping foot and alert to me I guess so I wanted to remove her from the gene pool. (I greatly prefer to leave the dumbest ones to improve my future hunting chances) She passed along a trail about 15 yards behind and below me and when she stepped behind a poplar I drew and when she stepped out I tried my new carbon arrow. She took off down the hill and the young doe was running around not knowing what was going on. I packed up, went and changed card in my game camera and started looking for a blood trail Never found any but trailed the kicked up dry leaves and bone dry dirt for about 40 yards till I found my arrow. Then 20-30 yards further I spotted her white belly at the bottom of the holler (a deep draw for the less sophisticated readers). Only blood I saw was under her. I did hit a little further back and slightly higher than I meant but still in the kill zone. Had quartered out behind her right ribs.

Dragged her down to the pasture, walked back up to other holler and got my ATV and came and got her. Took her to my skinning rack and she weighed 130 lbs live weight (I never field dress them as so close to home only a few minutes till I have them in the air and easier to skin intact).

Long tiring but productive day. Pictures are in wife's camera I'll try to add later. And first time I have tried the carbon vs aluminum arrows in my 65 lb compound bow. No complaints with first test.

That sounds like a very productive day, congratulations!

Years ago, my Mom visited West Virginia and I still remember her saying that WV is Hills-N-Hollers!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Chuck,

We moved here 26 years ago in July. My dad had a family monument business in Fla and was always interested in setting up a perpetual care cemetery. He used to tell me to find us 40 acres of good flat land in WV and we'd set up such. I told him there was not 40 acres of flat land in WV, at least not all together. From where I started at our house yesterday to where I went to hunt rises at least 450 feet on a 42 acre plot.

Lots of times we see game in good shooting range but decide "If he comes on this side of the holler I'll shoot him. If he stays over on the other side I'll let him go as not worth the effort to go climb down and back up to get him."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

A little late but I finally got a couple of pictures off my wife's camera tonight.

My mom and I with a 22-1/2 lb flathead- had one yesterday 1 lb bigger.

130 lb archery doe. I'd already started to skin her before my wife got home to take the picture. Also pretty fair shot of my skinning rack and set up.
Howard Green

Czech_Made

I enjoy your posts, thanks for the pictures too.

WV Sawmiller

CM,

Thanks. We finished cutting up and processing the deer last night and if I'd had two my wife would likely have shot or divorced me or both. Made cubed steaks out of the hams, cut the loins and tenderloins up into small roasts that we can cut into steaks or cubes for stir fry or such, boiled the neck to tear off and make sandwiches or hash and the rest made hamburger. I cut up and ground a Boston Butt pork roast with the burger but it is still pretty dry and we have to grease the pan to fry them. Already tried the burgers and cubed steaks and they were good. The freezer is pretty well full until I pack up 10-12 gallons of catfish to send home with Mom.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!