Commercial Thinning - How much to take?

Started by Doug_D, October 06, 2016, 02:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug_D

Hello guys - Been a while since I've posted.  Hope I am in the right forum.

I have a commercial location with several cabins on it and have taken great pains to preserve as many of the trees as I could (big, small, hardwoods, soft and even cedars).   However the last couple years I am starting to question that direction.  Several trees have died (big and small), the leaves are a huge pain in the fall and barely any grass grows under the canopy (imagine that!).  I am considering heavily thinning the property.  I am talking maybe 7-10 acres.  Who should I hire?  arborist, landscape designer, forester?

I really think the property will look better if I take the smaller trees out and just leave a few of the bigger ones.  I want someone to drop them, chip them up and I will spread them on walking tails.  How do I make sure I get someone who knows what they are doing?

thanks,
Doug
Our adventure in Building a Log Cabin Rental Business!
www.cabinstartup.com

WDH

I would say start with the Forester.  There may be a bit of commercial value that the Forester will be able to help you with.  A landscape designer or an Arborist generally makes you pay $ to them.  It is best if you can work with someone who pays you, and not them.  However, with such a small area, you not have many choices  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Scott

Yes, I would seek the advice of a forester first. Maybe obtain the services of your local Conservation District Forester.
~Ron

BCCrouch

Quote from: Ron Scott on October 07, 2016, 06:21:12 PM
Yes, I would seek the advice of a forester first. Maybe obtain the services of your local Consecration District Forester.

Only if the trees in question are on Vatican-owned land. ;)
On the plains of hesitation lay the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of their victory sat down to rest, and resting, died.